Hey look at me...I modded my pedal!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JPenn, Jul 30, 2006.

1. JPenn

JPenn Member

I decided to try my hand at modding my TS with the Monte Allums kit. I don't ever use the pedal, so i figured if I butcher it, I ain't out too terribly much.

I followed the directions and checked it after every (I mean every) part change and had only 1 problem. I got one of the parts in backwards and just had to desolder it and flip it, and resolder. It took me about 1 hour and 45 minutes from start to finish. I figure anybody that really has any soldering skills could knock it out in less than an hour. I was wishing I hadn't drank that pot and a half of coffee when I got started :crazy but it ended up working out fine.

I only have a L6 DuoVerb here at the house to play it thru, but it sounds like it's got a lot more OD and more lowend as well. I'll check it out thru my Classic 50 next weekend to see how it works. The other g-tar picker in my band uses a stock TS9, so I'll compare them and see just how different the pedal is after the mods.

2. asdf

asdf Member

It's addicting, isn't it....I started with one and couldn't ever stop. Lots of fun. For me it also meant never wanting a boutique pedal (other than the Tim/Timmy) because so much boutique stuff (not all- there are some great original designs) is slightly modded circuits that are available for everybody. Tubescreamers I think are awful stock, but modded can sound pretty darn good. Have fun ;)

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

yeah, it is very cool- I modded my Metal Zone with a Monte mod and it is a totally different (million x better) pedal now...it makes me want to buy the other pedals he has mods for just so I can do them...85% for the sound...maybe 15% for the DIY project, lol-

4. JPenn

JPenn Member

I'm on the lookout now for a Boss SD1 or Blues Driver. I like the clips of those pedals on his site better than the TS, but I had a TS9 reissue laying around not being used.

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

I modded a SD1, it is really cool. I used a lot of sockets so I could swap out different caps, trannies and diodes.

I found one combination that I really like, and I use it as a back up. The SD1 silver mod that I have from Analog Man stayed on the main board, I just liked it better. I used them both for a while, then I got a DGTM for a steal and loved the led clipping section. It is much less compressed than the typical TS.

The one I modded is still very cool, but there is something about Mike's and the DGTM that is better. I will try some leds in my modded one, that's something I didn't try. I compared all three to a stock SD1 and they all blow it away.

I also built a TS that I need to finish, I messed up the 3pdt footswitch while resoldering it and need to get another. That has an led in the clipping section too and it sounded great!

I am going to try a MT2 or a DS1 sometime soon.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

I just did his TS-9 mod Friday night, very impressive. I compared it to my '82 TS-9 and feel they both have a place. The Monte mod isn't as thick and has a hi-fi feel. The original is a little muddy with some amp settings, but if you're going into a bright amp like a vintage fender, that thickness will be better. My Marshall likes the Monte better.

I had a DGTM and feel the Monte TS-9 is better. The monte is thinner and more liquid sounding, but both pedals are very good.

I just ordered the SD-1 SD-808 mod. I hope to do that one next weekend.

7. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

I have four kits on the way from Monte: SD 808, BD2 H20, OD3 Supra, and the TS-9. I'm hoping to end up with two that will play nice with my new BB preamp and Mesa DC-5. Should keep me busy for a while;) .

8. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

1. It always starts with that first innocent TS mod.

2. Next day your sitting in your cubicle thinking of what mods you can do next.

3. Then your boss walks in and sees you downloading schematics from geofx, etc. so he bans you from internet use.

4. Next day he walks in and your starring blindly at the screen while clutching analogmans guide and drooling on your pocket protector.

5. Your fired, but strangely you see that as a good thing.

6. Its been three weeks locked in your apartment surrounded by mouser catalogs, caps and diodes splayed out over pizza boxes filled with half eaten dominos.

7. You are screening all calls but hear your girlfriend breaking up with you on the answering machine (you see this as a good thing)

8. You start selling off anything that will sell which does not assist in the advancement of your understanding or ownership of further effects related materials.

9. Strung out on no doze and tums you contemplate knocking over the corner liqueur store but find yourself lingering by the counter as you redesign their cheap audio/video surveillance equipment.

10. You sell your body to any radio shack clerk that will trade parts for services rendered.

11. You are arrested, found laying in the gutter in a pool of twinkies, urine and solder wick.

12. After your intervention, you are offered this ultimatum.
    Admission into a strict detox program where you will be banned from anything related to audio electronics,
    OR - start an effects pedal business.

12 steps to get in, 12 to get out.

dude, ive seen the dragon and felt the fire, be careful!

9. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

lol...that's funny man- I'm ok, I'm only at step 4...I can handle it...

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

LOL!

But I only do it on the weekends and at parties!

11. JPenn

JPenn Member

I can see all of that happening!!! I put together spinnerbaits from components last year and got to thinking "man if I buy this mold, I can pour my own jigs.....then if I buy this air brush kit I can paint crankbaits....." finally I decided to just go back to buying stuff so that I could have time to fish!!!:D

Another good thing about pedals is I don't have a clue what to change to get them to sound like I want them to. If I had any knowledge whatsoever it would probably cause me a lot of problems [​IMG]