Hey "Murphy" Les Paul experts...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Riscchip, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I was looking an R7 today that was finished / aged by one Tom Murphy, and this seems to have doubled the price, as near as I can tell. Very nice guitar, however...so I'm wondering. Did a little surfing around the Les Paul for for info on these, wondering what folks here think. Is this guitar worth the additional cost? It was $4000.

I know I'm always saying how I'm not a Les Paul man, but what can I saw...it was a cool guitar. :)

2. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

My Murphy Stands out from my other Les Pauls. It might sound crazy, but the finish draws me to it. Something about that finish, it's like VooDoo....... I guess the question is: is it worth it to you?

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

If cosmetics are that important to you then $2g over a regular R7 is reasonable.

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Supporting Member

It seems a little strange that the guitar would be double the money. My 58 Murphy is my favorite guitar. Maybe it's worth it.

5. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

If it's a a great guitar, then it's worth 4K. I have heard it said that they give Murphy the pick of the litter to work on, and judging from how great my Murphy R9 is I tend to believe it.

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Thanks guys,

So...for the most part, these guitars are only different in the finish, correct? Otherwise, they are basically the same as other historic Les Pauls? Is 4K about right for one of these?

Thanks again.

7. brent

brent Member

In Murphy' defense his relics do feel like old wood, moreso than the Fender custom shop pieces, they start as hand selected Historics but he makes them feel like they're old wood not just look like it. It is tall dollars but not Master Builder $$ and it does hold it's value in the used market.

8. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

I don't think $4k for an R7 Murphy is out of line. Actually, I've seen '03 Brazilian R7s go for just under $4k. I guess its all about supply and demand.

Eugene

9. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Thanks again, gents. Much appreciated.

Should these come with some kind of paperwork to authenticate them? Thanks!

10. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I Have a Very early Gibson Custom Shop 57 Goldtop. It is the 7th guitar Built in 1993 and Is Signed by Mr Murphy Himself. It is the Best Playing and Sounding Les Paul I have heard.
    It was not "Aged" by - But Rather Built by Tom Murphy. I Heard he built the First 15 or so Himself.
    The Other One on the Right is a 1997 R7 Goldtop and Does not have the magic of the Murphy!
    [​IMG]

11. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

Yo, Riscchip - Did you buy the '57 Murph at E*Guitars? I was slobbering over that thing and was thinking of selling some things to buy it but I went back to the shop and it's gone. Someone bought it yesterday. :jo

Was it you? It's a heck of a nice guitar. Very light for a '57RI.

12. matte

matte Senior Member

Tom stopped painting the Historics after 1999. He continues to age for Gibson but that's it. I had an R7 that I got from Brown Dog a few years back that Murphy hooked up. That guitar even smelled old.

13. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

Matte - it's hard to believe that it's been a couple of years - the blink of an eye.

With tone and oneness, Mike

14. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Hey Jayhawk...that was the one, it was there for weeks, so I thought it might have been overpriced (I'm not really too up on Les Paul stuff). Anyway....you snooze, you lose, hehe (both of us).

I also looked at that 15 lb wine red Les Paul custom they had. 1980 model. That was actually a helluva nice sounding geetar, too. Happen to see if it was still there when you went by?

They also have a mystery red tele that's supposedly a '61...too dubious to spend 4k on (and they were very up front about the question marks associated with it), but MAN does that one sound GOOD. Seriously...try it if you drop by again.

15. matte

matte Senior Member

I know, time makes geezers of us all. That was a beautiful playing/looking/sounding guitar. That and my Cherry 3 PU Custom were my favourites of all the Gibson Hysterics that I've owned.

16. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1998 58 reissue I've played for many years. Tom really knows how to do a burst. People look at my guitar and say it looks "right" and like an old one. It was not reliced, but after years of gigs now kinda looks like their "authentic" finish.

17. matte

matte Senior Member

The "90's R8s were what motivated Tom to start doing his relicing/aging. Does your's have the gap between the pickguard and treble PU ring?

18. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Yes. So does my 1997 54 Oxblood.

19. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

I think I saw the tele but I'm not sure. Is that the one with the humbuckers? A guy who used to work there claimed that they were PAF's but I don't believe that.

In a way, I'm relieved that somebody else bought the 57 Murph. I was hypnotized with gas and ready to scrape together $4k and now I don't have to. :D

20. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Ahh...I think I know the one you were talking about. I think that tele may have sold. The one I'm referring two had standard tele pickups, and a red finish that looks like it was applied with a brush. An unlikely tone machine, for sure.

I like E*Guitars. Cool folks there. :)