Hey New Crunchbox owners...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Mar 3, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I know that a bunch of new Crunchboxes were sent out this week.

Let's hear the reviews guys. I'll post mine later when I get a chance.

2. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

Got mine in the mail today!

I probably won't get to try it till tomorrow, or late tonight at very low volume. I'll definitely post impressions after I've checked it out.

:D

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Got mine today. Bottom line: it's the pedal I wish all the $200 overdrive and distortion pedal I've owned sounded like. Really, it's got a great range of gain . . .even with gain very low, it produces a really nice BluesBreaker type tone. The gain sounds good all the way up also . . tomorrow I'll be able to try it a higher volume, but I already know it's a keeper since it was comparing favorably to my Landgraff. One sort of odd thing I noticed was that at a certain setting when I'd play like an E7 (root on the A string, 7th fret) as the chord decayed, it sounded almost digital or transister-like . . . .but not at first just towards the end of the decay . . . .maybe things just need to "burn in" . . . .more testing tomorrow.

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I got my Cruchbox yesterday and made the mistake of auditioning it late at night, at home, at a very low volume and my impression was not very positive. Since it has a somewhat lower-mid peak, it sounded rather dull and rolled-off when played at a barely-on volume. I thought I had a clunker, given the excellent reviews from credible forumites.

Both Brad and Mike immediately offered to replace it - great service - but I didn't need it.

Tonight, I was able to spend some time with it up at normal playing levels and I gotta say that this pedal has a super punchy, kick-ass tone that pushes my vintage Deluxe Reverb well into Marshall stack territory. It has a dynamic quality that is really ballsy - more so than any other pedal I've tried. Super quiet too.

So, IMO, Mike has hit another one out of the park.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Glad it worked out for you Billy, some pedals really shine when you play at gigging levels especially the Crunch Box!

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Found out this morning that mine shipped 3/2, so hopefully I'll have it next week. I'm interested to seeing(hearing) how it plays with my Timmy and OCD. If it works out the way I hope, I'll have my low, medium, and high gain stuff covered. Looking forward to it. Anymore reviews?

7. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

Got my CB, and turn around, and sold my Eternity!!!
    That good of a pedal that CB

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Just so I don't mislead any potential buyers, the mistake I made was audtioning the CB as such a low level (late at night, at home) that I really couldn't hear how it's voiced - my bad. To be clear, it doesn't need to be at gigging levels to do it's stuff, bedroom practice level will work!

9. Marcello

Marcello Member

dude you scared me for a minute :)

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Interesting comparisons of the CB to the Eternity and Landgraff, both of which get glowing reviews and have pricetags to match. It would be great to hear more when you guys get the chance to use the CB more.

11. GregS

GregS Member

My Crunch Box is the best Marshallt-type pedal I have ever tried. Bar none. MI Audio is my number 1 pedal brand. My custom twin Tube Zone pedal is the best Soldano/Recto pedal I've heard. Great, great stuff.

12. dankayaker

I've owned the Eternity and own the CB and Landy. The CB does a little of what the Eternity does down in the lower gain register, ie . . . nice full focused tone to single notes. IMO the Eternity is a bit more complex sounding. The CB has a lot more gain though and sounds more Marshally.

As I said above, the CB is a no-brainer at $99.

BTW . ..nothing does what the Landy does or elsethey'd never sell for what they do.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I believe that the Landgraff is all that, based on what credible forumites (like yourself!) have reported. I don't necessarily think that all "expensive" gear is totally worth the pricetag just because some number of people have paid the price.

I'd love to try the Landgraff, as I'd love to see what I am missing out on! I can say the same for the Eternity. But I've blown so much money on stomps in the past few years, that I've considered just thinning the herd down to the essentials, and then not visiting this damn forum (and suffering the eventual GAS symptoms) for a few years!

14. dankayaker

The CB really is a cool pedal, very fat and thick at low gain . . .I love the thing . . . I just need to get down to the bottom of why mine has that little anomily as the chords decay. I'll probably buy another for the higher gain settings.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Uh oh:eek:. Thats a deal breaker for me. I've been blasting the Bluesdriver for years for that exact reason - sputtery, transistorized , unnatural decay. Can anyone else confirm this? I was getting ready to pull the trigger but now I'm feeling gunshy.

16. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Yeah I hear a little something on the decaying note but it is very faint but when I play with my band I cant tell its there especially if your rockin away!

For $99 it is still a pedal worth trying!

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Have not heard this. I'll be playing it later tonight and I'll check into this. Typically, I hear this type of thing right away.

18. dankayaker

I'm hoping mine is just defective. I'll probably be sending it back this week for an exchange. I have to say that even if it's inherent (not saying it is), I'd probably still own one, I like the flavor that much.

19. drolling

drolling Member

mmm.. not relishing the thought of sending something all the way back to Australia. Mine's somewhere over the ocean right now, but when I get my hands on it, I'll be listening for this *artifact*.

Seeing as the BluesPro's very natural sounding w/every gain setting at any volume, I'm wondering if all the extra gain Michael's built in to the Crunch Box could be responsible for this problem?

20. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Another new Crunch Box owner here and I must say is that this thing is totally amazing! It has to be the BEST "Marshall in a box" that I've ever heard period. I will be using it exclusively for my higher gain, Marshally type, Blues/Rock applications. Talk about the perfect pedal to "Marshall up" a Fender amp...man, this is it! :dude It can easily achieve anything from Gary Moore - Michael Schenker - VH type tones and anything in between with ease! :cool: I am completely satisfied! :D What a deal at $99...awesome!!!