Hey Punk Players, question for you

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleking, Jan 19, 2020.

1. mikebat

mikebat Member

Keep your amp for now but switch to a vertical 2x12.

Then find a lunch box or small box head that still has balls and definition at the volume you play at.

2. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

The last punk song I recorded used a Komet 29, set pretty clean actually. For that 70s punk sound, gobs of gain are not needed. There were some overdubs with a (also conservatively set) JMP 50.

As for the whole "good gear isn't punk" conversation, my song was punk in sound but not in content. So I'll play what I want, thankyouverymuch. ;)

Tommy Biggs, Aquinas and randomhero like this.
  3. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

When my band was playing shows I used a Recto and a 4x12. These days I'm not playing shows anymore, but my main amp is an Orange TH30 through either a 4x12 or 2x12 and I play plenty of punk rock through it.

b80 likes this.
  4. john l

john l Supporting Member

Hahahah. Looks like the punk rock police showed up on both sides.

There are Killer punk bands that play from almost completely clean (Dead Milkmen, Femmes etc) to punk bands that play crazy high gain and everything in between.

It’s a much better mind set to just play what works with your band.

scelerat, Tommy Biggs and johnpace2 like this.
  5. RyanPitch

RyanPitch Supporting Member

Damn, the Propagandhi in the last 10 years and the last couple Strung Out records are awesome examples of unbelievable musicianship and recorded/produced by people who care about tone. Don’t know about the gear used, but there certainly is such a thing as progressive punk rock that is well-written, exquisitely played, and (whose tones & gear) has merit even here on TGP.

6. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I played a JCM800 2204 with a matching 1960A cab for years. When the Marshall Class 5 came out I switched to that. Even though I went from using a 50 watt head to a 5 watter, volume wise, it made very little difference though. It was still loud as hell. In fact, I was probably even louder because I had to totally crank the Class 5 to get my sound because there was no master. The 2204 had a master volume that enabled me to keep the volume reasonable.

A few years ago I then retired the 1960A for a sealed 1-12 Celestion and started setting up my amp like a monitor in front of me tilted back at my face. I now use an AMT Legend 2 M2 direct to the FOH via the cab sim out and feed another output to the front of the Class 5. My back and ears are much happier and our mix is so much clearer.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  7. TheNewWhatNext

TheNewWhatNext Member

Love the simplicity of that. So many people have mentioned Rats in this thread and it's making me seriously consider one, even though I've been an amp gain + solo boost guy almost my entire playing life.

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  8. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

A rat at about 8:30 to 9:00 on the gain with your guitar volume rolled back to about 7 or 8 is a killer rhythm tone. Roll it up to 10 for solo boost. Incredibly versatile pedal.

SimAlex and TheNewWhatNext like this.
  9. TheNewWhatNext

TheNewWhatNext Member

I have stepped up my eBay hawking for a Rat on the strength of this :D

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  10. SimAlex

SimAlex Member

reissue mig 50 (essentially a tweed 59 bassman clone.) + the matching 2x12s. w some careful shopping, i got the whole package –$750.

clean headroom ends around vol 4, but that is quite... quite loud. i gig a lot... past 3, i'm going to be asked to turn it down. for sure. i will just say that at vol 8, the distortion is magic, but i would not bank on having a lot of venues where you'll be able to get there w/o an attenuator or something.

amp loves every pedal i have. ODs, boosts, big muffs sound spectacular, everything sounds great honestly. i recommend it for anything but especially punk.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    LordByron and TheNewWhatNext like this.
  11. SimAlex

SimAlex Member

oh, Traynors. i heard them once referred to as canadian fenders. those amps are way underrated for guitar and bass. i've gigged w them in backlines and was like, "WHOA!" they're great.

cheap, built like absolute tanks, and extremely loud.

12. SimAlex

SimAlex Member

that is an epic set-up.

LordByron likes this.
  13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Marshall TMB 18 and 36 watters. The combo is perfect for club/loud. It is a 4-10 with a quad of Greenbacks.

SimAlex and TheNewWhatNext like this.
  14. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    It was (although I did not appreciate how much so at the time). Like a moron, I sold that Bassman when I started law school and stopped doing band gigs. Stupidest gear move I ever made. (Especially since I had picked it up for about $100 in 1982 and didn't get much more for it when I sold it in '92.)

Last year, though, I picked up a Billy Zoom modified '68 Bassman head with a PPI MV and a 1x12 cab made from an old Fender 2x12 cab. Unlke the old 4x10 combo, I can actually gig this one at a level that doesn't get me thrown out of clubs and small venues. I guess all is well that ends well. :)

SimAlex likes this.
  15. SimAlex

SimAlex Member

*also going to up-vote Fender Twin Reverbs. the newest ones, the "68 custom" line, is a fabulous amp.

*Sunn amps. you see them a ton in doom stacks bc normal people can actually afford them. unreal loud. tremendous clean headroom. i'd say it's like a bargain bin hiwatt. that's not exactly true but it's not far off. i loved the one i played.

*laugh all you like, but a Vox AC4 would make an amazing punk rock amp if know you'll be able to mic it. that little thing F'ing screams when you dime it. Epi Valve Jr, same thing. i've owned both & they made my p90s sound like blow torches.

4, 5 watt amps are awesome but they're tricky to gig w/ bc you really do have to mic them and hope your sound guy is good...

LordByron likes this.
  16. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

I have a Spark and the Xotic Super Clean kicked it off my board. Highly recommended.

17. warren3333

warren3333 Member

Back to the OP, great modern amps that do punk and all, include the Carr Mercury V... and my current amp I use in a (punk) derived cover band...

...the mind blowing, room filling Matchless Nighthawk.

The NYC reference made earlier is a wee bit of an anathema to UK (true) punk and new wave.

UK punk was a reaction against the system, the establishment amd the soulless mid 70s music scene and even the US (dare I say it).

Peace.

“Whats the point in saying destroy ?”

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. Old Fart Thrasher

Old Fart Thrasher Member

19. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I used to ply in a punk band with a Lab Series L5, which is solid state.

I never thought about it, honestly. I just played and got drunk.

I have a booteek amp now, but I don't think they amp matters. Make it work your own way.

Now if I was playing In a Ramones tribute, it might matter a little.

scelerat likes this.
  20. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

What about the Peavey VTM 60 or 100 (120?). Loud and rude, ugly too.

SimAlex likes this.