• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Hey Strat lovers- SSS or HSS???

What bridge pickup do you prefer; Single or Humbucker

• Total voters

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
I have always been a staunch Single coil in the bridge guy, but now I'm considering the new Shawbucker Strat, which makes me wonder....

hotpaul

I've always had major issues with strat bridge tones. Just too thin.

But, I recently picked up a Danocaster Doublecut with Papa George's Hairy 60s and its a whole different world. Is it as big as a LP bridge PU, no, but I dont want that from a strat. It growls a lot more than any other single coil bridge PU that I've ever played while still cleaning up nicely.

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
I don't see a spot for both :) I have both but grab my HSS most of the time.

guitararmy

From what I've read, the Shawbucker is great if you favor more SSS and less HSS in your strat.
I'm an HSS guy...

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I've played HSH and HSS for a time but now it's SSS.
Just something about SSS that seems right.

Last edited:

rapaul76

HSS. I can only afford the Strat I have and I like the versatility of a humbucker in the bridge. Just my opinion of course.

ibis

SSS for a Strat, but I'm done with Strats for now. I'm currently enjoying HSS Ibanez SAs. Better heel access, lighter, no string trees etc.
Never thought I'd move allegiance, but sometimes prejudices need to be gotten over. I've become a pointy headstock person (not prepared to go as far as a Floyd though).

An HSS Strat is just a frustrating machine. I need all the ergonomic help I can get! It's essentially an upgraded SSS, that hasn't reached its logical conclusion (that heel, aargh!). An SSS is what it is. I can live with that. It has charm.

Crossroads

I have one SSS strat.

My second will be an HSS with a Shawbucker. They sound excellent.

(But I agree on the neck heel issue. My current one has a contoured heel. I would almost like to get a Deluxe with a contoured heel and rip out the N3s in favor of Fat '50s and a Shawbucker.)

Chicago Slim

I'm finding that I like the HH. Position 2 sounds like a Tele, and position 4 sounds like an out of phase Strat. Then of course you have the normal bridge, neck and both pickups together. So, my votes for none of the above.

Last edited:

cardinal

I prefer SSS I think because getting a humbucker to balance with the single coils has been frustrating. I really like the Lollar Special in the bridge. Roll back the tone knob to ~8, and it handles gain very well without getting shrill.

JeffK

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 96 Strat Plus, as well as a Shawbucker that I just picked up in the last month. I'm loving the Shawbucker and debating selling the Plus or throwing something different into a new pickguard for the Plus.

Trending Topics