Hey Taylor guys...help me out

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by daacrusher2001, Jan 21, 2018.

1. s2y

s2y Member

All same specs?

2. s2y

s2y Member

Side note: I've made the statement that I generally don't want a cutaway, especially on the GC and GA. Just played an 812ce DLX 12 fret. Wow. I better not, but wow.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

I have an all mahogany (GS) 526 that is a keeper. I had to order it, as it's difficult to find Taylors without the cutaway and electronics. They sure have the acoustic-electric market covered though.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I have a 2002 514CE. Cedar tops are not ideal for pick style playing-they are much better suited to fingerstyle. I leave mine in DADGAD tuning pretty much all the time. I also have a 454CE (basically a 12 string version of the 414CE) and that guitar has a much more potent sound when played with a pick.
    Depending on your budget, it is tough to beat a 314 or 414.

5. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

no, each different wood
    I bought my first one in 1980. Indian Rosewood.
    2nd one in 2001, Brazilian Rosewood,
    3rd one in 2002, Cocobolo.

6. s2y

s2y Member

Ah. Cool. I briefly had a BTO Adi+EIR with a V neck. Loved the tone, couldn't handle the neck with my small hands. Ended up picking up a torrified EIR+Adi from a small luthier. I sometimes GAS for an 810e DLX with a Sitka top.

7. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

Cool backstory on the 1980 810;
    Back then I'd gone to my local guitar shop to buy a Martin D35...had been saving $ for a 35 for quite a while and had an Ovation classical model that I was trading with some cash. I left with the Taylor that day. It was almost to the detail the same as the Martin but I saved some money on the deal. 25 years later I walked into the same shop to buy some new string pegs for the Taylor since I'd just broken one changing strings. I took the guitar with me to make sure I got pegs that fit well and replaced the plastic pegs with some Ebony pegs. While I was at the shop the young guy behind the counter asked me where I got the Taylor and I told him his dad sold it to me in 1980. His father was there and I said to him, "Do you remember selling me this guitar?". He said no but that he remembered the truck that it had arrived on.
    Hmmm....the truck? So he tells me that back in the fall of 1980 Bob Taylor had rented a box truck, (similar to a UPS type truck) and loaded all of their finished inventory into it and hit the road traveling East, in an effort to sell all the inventory and save the business from having to close down. When he got to Dallas he had 12 guitars left on the truck and Larry Morgan, who owned that shop, bought all 12 of them. He said,
    "That is one of those 12 guitars". And the rest is history, as they say.

Wino67, daacrusher2001 and s2y like this.
  8. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

^^that is a cool backstory.

So, the 816ce is calling my name...I got offered a 20% discount, so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger...wtf, not gonna live forever!

The 526 that I tried on Saturday was really nice. Something about the 816 tho'...

9. major-minor

major-minor Supporting Member

I've got my eye on a slightly used ( 2015 ) 616ce. Really like the nice low end I can pull out of that maple backed guitar. Kind of a nice mix of highs and lows.

May just have to bring her home.

10. Guitar Cat

Guitar Cat Member

I can't comment on any of the full-size models above the 100 series, but the 110e I play is a terrific guitar especially for the price in the under 1K category.

Last year I bought a prototype 110e with a mahogany top, sapele B/S and that mellow sound is beautiful!. I've been experimenting with diff strings and picks, and these variables certainly give me a lot of room to brighten the sound if I wish. It still has a mellow sound but there's lots of room for tweaking.

11. daacrusher2001

I decided I like the 816ce - got a 20% discount...interest free financing...done!

12. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Congrats! My cedar/rosewood GS is one of my favorite acoustics...

daacrusher2001 likes this.
  13. Wino67

Wino67 Member

Great story. I too had been saving my coin for an acoustic purchase when I bought my first Taylor. I had my sights set on a jumbo Guild for a while. In the process of checking some things out, I was handed a Taylor 712. After a few more weeks of looking, I pulled the trigger on the 712. It will be 25 years next month that I purchased this guitar. I still marvel at it. I've had it setup twice and some fretwork done once. In addition to great tone and sustain, the thing's just completely dependable. Never an issue with it.

14. daacrusher2001

OK, so my 816 came today...from Wildwood. All I can say is "wow". What a beautiful sounding guitar. Everything I wanted in an acoustic.

Cheers, Taylor guys...! I appreciate your insights.

btw - how would you guys humidify this guitar? It's super dry and cold here right now.

mikealpine likes this.
  15. DK207

DK207 Member

Nice score! I use an oasis humidifier in my 410ce.

16. daacrusher2001

That's what I used for my Martin when I had it. I decided to get the bluetooth case hygrometer so I can check it easily from my phone. I'll probably just go with the Oasis, since it really does work just fine.

I had a set of humidipacks that I didn't open, so I am trying them out right now. They seem to keep the RH at about 45% pretty well.

17. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Awesome choice! I am waiting on delivery of an 814ce with an Adirondack top from Heartbreaker guitars, should some somewhat similar to yours, based on what the Adi brings to the equation. I also looked at Martin dreads, Furch G23s (kind of their GA size) and others, the Taylor did the trick, based on what I heard in sound samples. Enjoy yours!!

daacrusher2001 likes this.
  18. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think you chose well. The 816 is a good strummer and the sound from the 8xx series is halfway between their brightest and darkest sounding guitars, maybe leaning toward the darker sound, yet can cut through. I've always thought the 8xx series were the best sounding Taylors overall with 7xx next. I never really dug Taylor's hog guitars except a couple that were all hog that weren't half bad.