Hey there Bottom Dwellers! need advice for a guitar player buying a 100w SVT tube Bass amp

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by MRscratch, Nov 16, 2017.

1. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

hey Guys. Im looking into buying a bass amp for my band and obviously our Bassist to use.
    He just went out and bought himself the Mike Dirnt model P bass which sound great but thats his budget right there. On the bass amp side he is still using a little fender rumble 40. actually sounds pretty good but we play out quite a bit and when we go out i want it to sound killer. we tend to use 20-30watt guitar amps like satellite atoms and Trainwreck rockets. or bassmans
    So Ive been looking at the 100w all tube SVT ?? silver face with a 2/12 cab. Great little amp and has that nice tube overdrive we all like in our band. It seems pretty loud and its a quartet of 6l6.
    Anyone have any issues with this amp or comments?
    I'm trading in some gear to buy it for him to use.

2. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

a 100 watt SVT? Are you sure it isn't the V-4b? SVT are usually 300 watts unless Ampeg is playing loose with the marque these days.

3. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

y
    yes thats the one. i guess its not an SVT

4. royd

royd Member

as a general rule, you want 10X's the wattage for the bass player so you really do want to look at 300 watts or more.

In any case, the ampeg tube bass amps are a classic sound... just really heavy...

There are some current generation class D heads that have nice distortion sections - the Darkglass 900 and the Genzler MG800

5. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

in terms of total volume even a 300 watt tube amp isn't significantly louder than a 100 watt tube amp. I've had an Ampeg V-4 once upon a time. If your guitar players are using 20-30 watt amps, I'm pretty sure the V-4 would be plenty loud enough. I would love to have another one. In fact, there is a vintage Ampeg V-4 full stack, with matching cabs as in still original to the amp head when it was purchased new way back in the '70s for sale at my local GC. A relative bargain at 1599 or about 4 dollars a pound :rotflmao

MRscratch likes this.
  6. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Well we fancy ourselves as having kind of a Clash/social distortion/ Wilco sort of sound. We leave lots of room.
    I'm thinking this amp sounds great but I wanted your opinions of the amp as wether or not it is a quality amp, and if it's anything like the original in sound.

7. somedude

somedude Member

When I asked this question I was told speaker surface area was more important than power output.

Long story short, 100w is fine if you want some dirt in your sound. But, you may find yourself gravitating to a 410 or 810 to make it work.

Some venues will have a good PA and the bassist will run a DI to FOH. In those places the amp is just a monitor and just about anything you like the sound of will work.

In other venues the PA won't be able to project the low end, so you'll need enough amp/speaker to fill the room without blowing your sh*t up.

I recommend trying out the cab before you buy it. I prefer 410s to 212s. With 12s I had too much midrange and tended to fight the guitars for sonic space. 10s sounded more classic and sat better in the mix. Even though the 10s are more scooped I can hear myself better because I'm not having a volume war with the guitarists.

8. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

It's the V4-B and matching 2/12 cab
    I like the idea of the 4/10, but it doesn't have the awesome sparky grill cloth!!
    ( hey I'm a guitar player) ;)

9. somedude

somedude Member

The 810 comes with sparky grill cloth.

100w through an 810 sounds killer.

Floyd Eye, MRscratch and BluesForDan like this.
  10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

11. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

That's the culprit!

12. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

There's the bringing it issue. Sounds awesome but we don't have a flat deck to carry it

13. somedude

somedude Member

Apparently people stuff them in the backseat of their car. Never tried it myself... guess it depends on how much you like your car.

MRscratch likes this.
  14. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Well it would not be goi g in my car.
    He's got a truck but it rains all winter here. I think the 2/12 will suite our needs

15. somedude

somedude Member

16. somedude

somedude Member

I'm not saying it won't, but try it first. They really do sound different, the trick is to listen to it as a bassist and not a guitarist. When I made the switch from bass to guitar I had the tendency to want too much midrange in my bass tone, which caused all kinds of problems for the guitars and vocals and I was frequently told I was too loud.

All kidding about 810s aside, my portable rig is a 210 on a 115 and it'll carry most small to medium sized rooms, plus I can scale down to a single cab for cafe's and use the DI output in large venues.

I ran a 112 and 115 for awhile, and like I said I had problems with too much mids that I couldn't dial out on the amp without killing my overall sound. Once I swapped the 112 out for a 210 my tone cleaned up considerably and I separated from the guitars more while creating a pocket for the guitars/vocals to sit in.

That's not to say the 212 won't work and I don't necessarily want to steer you away from them as plenty of people like them. My recommendation is to demo different cabs first. If you're going through L&M get a cab and demo it at rehearsal to hear how it sounds in the mix, then go back and switch cabs for your next rehearsal. If I'd done that I would've saved a lot of money...

I kind of dislike my "live" tone when playing solo because it's too scooped, but in a mix it sounds perfect cuts through clearly.... meanwhile the mid heavy tone I prefer when playing solo turns to mud in the mix.

17. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

I will. sounds like good advice. The 2/12 is the matching cab for this amp. I really want to get 2 4/10 for it though. It sounds really good and i think it that amp will be perfect for our band.
    I can get a used SVT classic? the tube one not SS. for about 1100 used. and the cab for 1000. but its way heavier. not sure we need 300w ob bass in this band.

18. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

V4-B is a great bass rig

:dude

19. royd

royd Member

100 to 300 watts isn’t a huge difference in volume... about 5 dB. But there is a significant difference in headroom which is important for bass.

Speaker area is as important as wattage but speaker efficiency is more important than either as is dispersion.

410, 610, and 810 cabs in parallel arrays have an inherent beaminess that makes them sound different as you move around a room. For that reason, the only ones that I would consider are the Barefaced versions. They address the beaming by putting only the lowest frequencies through one side of the array. Check out their website for more info.

‘12 vs. ‘10 vs. 15 is a non issue other than the physical cab size they require. You can’t determine what a specific speaker will sound like (beyond the dispersion characteristics which are a function of the physical size of the speaker and arrangement of multiple drivers). Speaker designs have advanced well beyond cone size defining what a speaker sounds like and a good designer can make a speaker of any size sound however they want. As two examples look at the Phil Jones cabs which use 5 inch speakers and reproduce a low B. or the Acme B2 with 2 10 inch woofers that puts out more low end than most 18’s. Design of the cab and crossover is also critical in what you end up with... Bottom line is that if you rule out a given speaker because of the cone size, you may be missing out on the one that most closely meets your idea of a great sounding bass speaker.

20. cardinal

cardinal Member

$1k for a used 810 better be a pretty fancy 810.

Remember that the SVT head alone is like 85 pounds. I have an SVT II and 810 and OMG I hate moving it. It's cool and it thankfully just sits in one spot at this point.

But if you guys are gigging and he doesn't have his heart set on an SVT/810 rig: I wouldn't do it. Do something smaller and lighter and save yourselves.