• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Hey... These are flat-wound strings???

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
I put LaBella flats on my Mustang and I love them. Sound & feel are both improved over rounds.

I play rounds, almost exclusively... but, I bought a roadworn jazz that came with half-rounds & loved it!!! Never liked the feel of flats at all.

Hugo13

I like flexible strings flat or round. I've been preferring lighter gauges lately. Easy to play.

Hugo13

Well guess what--not blaming anyone here but myself--I found a Casady bass online a good 25% off for NOS looks new to me & it has a lovely brown grain on the back & sides. Thought they were black. Anyway, I went for it. I'll see how I like the stock Blue Steels. If not I have bulk sets of Chromes handy & some Fender 9050's but never tried the Fenders. THANKS A LOT TGP

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Well guess what--not blaming anyone here but myself--I found a Casady bass online a good 25% off for NOS looks new to me & it has a lovely brown grain on the back & sides. Thought they were black. Anyway, I went for it. I'll see how I like the stock Blue Steels. If not I have bulk sets of Chromes handy & some Fender 9050's but never tried the Fenders. THANKS A LOT TGP
Those are kick ass basses. I think you'll be pretty happy. Perfect bass for flats.

bigtone23

I have two basses for flats: a split coil parts P has Chromes and an 84 Peavey Foundation has Cobalt Flats. I played half rounds for a great while, but now have my flats and rounds basses.

Stratburst70

I have my P-Bass strung with flats and my Hamer Cruise strung with rounds.

It's really about what tone you're going for. If you're going for an old-school rock/soul/R&B sound - or you really like Iron Maiden's Steve Harris - then flats are the way to go.

For more modern tones, then rounds add extra treble and presence.

Surfreak

I find that rounds give me the tone and versatility I need - including a decent approximation of flats, with the right eq - whereas flats just sound like flats. So for me, rounds all the way.

Endr_rpm

Welcome to the club my friend :) Get a wide grippy strap, it helps.

Hugo13

Welcome to the club my friend :) Get a wide grippy strap, it helps.
thanks I think I have a 3.5" strap. Arrives tmw says UPS. CANT WAIT GRRRRR

I played my Hofner w/ LaBella flats & it was very sweet but shortscale flats vs. long scale rounds--two, very different basses. Have gigs coming up in 2 weeks & in Nov., so it will be broken in, just practice often. In a perfect world, I'd have a Casady with TI Jazz flats or White nylon tapewounds AND one with roundwounds.

PSA FYI--explain it to the mrs. like so: she can't have just one purse or one pair of shoes. Hence, different guitars. Exact same thing. KA-BOOM

Endr_rpm

PSA FYI--explain it to the mrs. like so: she can't have just one purse or one pair of shoes. Hence, different guitars. Exact same thing. KA-BOOM
We had been dating about 4-5 months, and my girlfriend came to see me play at church. She goes "You sounded good, but I think I like the sound of your other bass better."

She became my wife 12+ years ago :)

Hugo13

Here’s my proof

It’s got Chromes on it now to keep in line with the topic. But really I t’s all I had and the chunky rounds it came w were garbage (not blue steels) maybe ghs or another red silk string.
My intention was to have rounds. Going to test drive these Chromes see how things go. Who cares anyway.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
I love flatwounds on a bass, especially a short scale. Both my basses have flats, but I've been thinking about adding another bass so I can have one with rounds for a different sound.

BTW, I have never had an issue with flats being tough on fingertips. I find roundwound strings to be much harder on my fingertips.

Mighty Melvin

Every bass player should have two basses. One with flatwounds and one with roundwounds.

They should be Precision Basses too.

Then once you have that, you can do anything you want afterward with different basses and strings.

Trending Topics