Heyboer Transformers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AshlandBump, May 31, 2005.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I'm curious about these -- what's their reputation? How do they compare to Mercury Magnetics? What companies besides Geronimo and Valvetech use them? So many questions. . . .

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My Reinhardt Titan has one and it runs on 10 most of the time with no problems whatsoever. It's loud as heck, but the tone is fully saturated and dripping at that point. I love it!:dude!

3. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

i did a Pro Jr project and put one of Graydon's (GDS) Heyboer OTs in it and wow! An amazing improvement in every department! It was phyiscally almost three times as large as the original Fender OT. In a nutshell: more volume, more tone, more dynamics, more harmonics.

4. JimRayden

JimRayden Member

Never tried one but the reputation seems to be sky high.

You might wanna check out the forums at www.ax84.com and search there. It also doesn't need any registering to ask about the trannies.

---------
    Jimbo

5. renico00

renico00 Member

Kenny liked them.

Jeff

6. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Heyboer is good people with a good product. Phil Dannenburg took good care of me on a custom JTM-45 wind - he's their VP.

7. jbeekins

jbeekins Guest

Scott Splawn uses them in the Quick Rod.:dude

8. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I have one in my Marshall JTM45RI. Fantastic!!!!

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Well, I'll find out soon enough in two ways... I'll take possession of this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=7325603186&rd=1

in less than two weeks. Yep, bought it from rwe333 here on the TGP, since I
    always wanted a KT 66 tubed amp.

And I'm using the Heyboer trannies in my latest creation, the (quad 6V6) Capt. Crunch model... so I sure hope they sound as good as everyone says they do. I'll let you know in a few weeks!

:dude

10. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Doesn't the Komet 60 use a custom Heyboer made-specifically for and ONLY available to Hogy and the gang?

-TJK

11. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

I use only Heyboers in all my amps. There are other good ones out there but Heyboer is close to me and easy to work with. I like them alot.

12. goneracin

goneracin Member

I use heyboers in my 18, and 36 watt amps, and have been very happy with them. Also have used them in a couple of kt66 based amps with good results too.

13. Swarty

Swarty Member

FWIW, Heyboer OTs were original in many 'wrecks. I first tried them 15 years ago when everything had to be special ordered (they did not have a line of "canned" OTs). Always way overbuilt both in freq range and wattage handling compared to off the shelf type replacements.

14. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Heyboer is one of the transformer companies I used/use for my amps. I think in general they make very good products and I don't hesitate to recommend them. However I leave myself open to using other manufacturers for certain designs--it's about whatever works best, not about brand-name loyalty.

15. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

So were some "hifi" Hammond designs. :) Some of those actually sound great for guitar amps. Not all of them though, at least IMO.

16. bjm007

bjm007 Member

They sound great in all my Germinos...........

17. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Thanks for all the replies -- sounds like they're well regarded, plus, they're made in the enchanted mitten. I've only knowingly played an amp with a Heyboer output transformer and choke once when I tried out a Valvetech Hayseed -- sounded wonderful, like my old AC30TBX but with a boomier low end.

18. Swarty

Swarty Member

They are also in Naylors, well at least the original company..

19. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Greg Germino has moved over to using Heyboers now, and I'd take that as a serious vote of confidence by a guy who simply uses the best parts that deliver the sound.

He mentioned that Heyboer is now making a dead-nuts copy of the original 50w Drake used in the plexi Marshalls. He put it into the hybrid Custom 40/JTM 50 that he built for me earlier this year.

Kiwi

20. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

Looks like I'll be trying them in a '71 Super Lead. They do come in the Germino's, and I know mine sounds great...so they should be cool in the Marshall....I have high hopes!!