HH strat wiring

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, putting an HH guitar together, is it possible to achieve this with humbuckers with 2 wires only and a 5 way super switch?
iHaHT6H.jpg

Wildwind

Not an expert, but pretty sure you need 4-wire pickups to get anything other than the usual three "Gibson" positions.

My dual hum Strat uses a Megaswitch for PRS wiring, which splits coils in three of the five positions. PRS pickups designed for this switch yield different tones than my DiMarzios, but I love the tones out of this guitar. It's a quiet guitar, but I think one position is not hum cancelling. I'm thinking the coil next to the hot coil silences to a degree, as noise live has never been an issue.

If you're interested, positions 1 and 5 get the bridge and neck pickups full coil. Positions 2 through 4 split, with position 2 giving a very pleasing quack (not vintage but a very musical and useful tone). Positions 3 and 4 give something akin to a Tele in the middle position and a faux Gretsch tone that engenders frequent favorable comments. I do not get both pickups full coil in any position but don't miss it.

Output is not strictly even. I.e., the positions vary a bit in output, something I find useful in performance. And I can easily compensate as all my Axe-Fx patches have a Boost for increasing volume, plus a Volume Down for decreasing volume. Works for me.

And I've used other Megaswitch products in the past (with Duncans back then) which also gave great results.

I'm sure someone who really knows will be along soon.

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
Not an expert, but pretty sure you need 4-wire pickups to get anything other than the usual three "Gibson" positions.

My dual hum Strat uses a Megaswitch for PRS wiring, which splits coils in three of the five positions. PRS pickups designed for this switch yield different tones than my DiMarzios, but I love the tones out of this guitar. It's a quiet guitar, but I think one position is not hum cancelling. I'm thinking the coil next to the hot coil silences to a degree, as noise live has never been an issue.

If you're interested, positions 1 and 5 get the bridge and neck pickups full coil. Positions 2 through 4 split, with position 2 giving a very pleasing quack (not vintage but a very musical and useful tone). Positions 3 and 4 give something akin to a Tele in the middle position and a faux Gretsch tone that engenders frequent favorable comments. I do not get both pickups full coil in any position but don't miss it.

Output is not strictly even. I.e., the positions vary a bit in output, something I find useful in performance. And I can easily compensate as all my Axe-Fx patches have a Boost for increasing volume, plus a Volume Down for decreasing volume. Works for me.

And I've used other Megaswitch products in the past (with Duncans back then) which also gave great results.

I'm sure someone who really knows will be along soon.
Thanks man. Lots of info there..

You need 4 wires for that layout. You need a north and south for each coil, if the humbucker is just a two wire, the two coils are wired in series and you've just got a north and south for the pickup as a whole.

I'll say that I did that exact wiring setup with one of my guitars, except positions 2 and 4 are swapped around on my guitar. I love it! Extremely versatile, and I'm going to redo one of my other guitars to match as well. I don't have the boost shown, just the same coil options.

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
You need 4 wires for that layout. You need a north and south for each coil, if the humbucker is just a two wire, the two coils are wired in series and you've just got a north and south for the pickup as a whole.

I'll say that I did that exact wiring setup with one of my guitars, except positions 2 and 4 are swapped around on my guitar. I love it! Extremely versatile, and I'm going to redo one of my other guitars to match as well. I don't have the boost shown, just the same coil options.

So I'm just stuck with a 3 way switch right??

Trending Topics

Top Bottom