• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

HH strats vs Les paul Vs SSS

WhyBother124

I’ve owned a Fender blacktop stratocaster (the older early 2000s one) for about a year now and have changed the neck pickup to a duesenberg domino P90.

looking to get a second guitar soon and am wondering whether a les paul or SG style would sound different enough to my alder-bodied blacktop to justify the purchase. If not, i’ll probably just get a SSS strat to change things up a bit. Any suggestions is welcome!

BADHAK

A LP or SG is a completely different feel and tone to a Strat. The scale difference will make the Gibson play much slinkier and the tone will be more mid heavy and vintage sounding.

CapnRex

Yes it would be different, but no need to limit yourself to Gibson unless you specifically like their guitars.

What kind of music are you going for? Any bands or players you are trying to sound similar to tonally?

WhyBother124

Yes it would be different, but no need to limit yourself to Gibson unless you specifically like their guitars.

What kind of music are you going for? Any bands or players you are trying to sound similar to tonally?
hey, i’m not actually looking at gibsons but some LP and strat styles from a local luthier, relatively low price but has raving reviews for wood and craftmanship quality!

Initially got the blacktop to find tones similar to that on weezer’s blue and pinkerton album, but lately have been into a lot of eric clapton, especially from the bluesbreaker and cream era or contrastingly, the guitar tone from the minutemen’s double nickels on the dime.

Any reccomendations on which style of guitar or even specific pickup choices would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

cram

strat and lp (both standards for over a decade as my 2 main.
totally different sounding guitars and that's what I wanted.
I'm 3 days into a 335 and until i get into live environments (d'oh!) I won't truly know or have an opinion.
I will say that the mid-focus on the 335 combined with the resonance of the semi solid guitar has me rolling back on gain.
- I'm definitely in honeymoon territory with this new one. : ) I can't even spell les paul right now :)

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
A strat with a good HB still doesn’t sound like an LP. I have a Lollar Imperial in one of my strats and it gets me about 85% of the way there which is close enough for me. I just can’t bond with any LP... I have owned 6 or 7 now over the years and just end up offloading them because my strats get played more.

BEACHBUM

Whichever piece of wood they're mounted on a humbucker is still going to sound like a humbucker. I prefer the LP for Blues and the Strat for Country but that's just my irrational view of how things are supposed to roll. Does the Strat sound like the LP ? I don't know. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. At least in my world it seems that wherever I go and whatever I do nothing ever seems to sound exactly the same twice. In fact the only thing I know for sure is that if I can play it they can do it and they can do it well.

Last edited:
People will say a HH strat won't sound anything like a Les Paul, but if you're playing with any kind of medium to high gain tone it's really hard to differentiate between the two, especially in a blind test and if both have PAF style pickups. The deciding factor for me is which do you find comfier and feel more at home with? For me I play so much better on Gibson style guitars so I stopped looking at Fenders. If I want singlecoil tones I'd go for P90s which sound better to me than any Fender style singles anyway.

Go Cat Go!!

I have an HH tele and it doesn't sound like a tele or a Les paul. I have SSH strat and the hummer at the bridge doesn't sound like a Les Paul either. The scale length has a lot to do with it. The longer scale on a strat or tele will not give you the low end of a Les Paul no matter what pickups you use. Add to that the different type of bridges used. They're just completely different guitars.

At the end of the day it's what makes you happy that matters.

eddiechilton

the guitar tone from the minutemen’s double nickels on the dime.
Pretty sure D. Boon used a Tele Deluxe (so double humbuckers) all over that record which to me doesn't sound like a Tele (or a Les Paul), it's got it's own thing going on. Also I've seen him with either LP Juniors or Melody Makers, so a slabby LP with a single humbucker would work, too.

bobcs71

IMO a Strat (any pickup configuration) and a LP are a great complimentary combo.
Different scale length, bridge, construction & wood