HH wiring using 4-pole 5-way & S-1

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Giovida, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Giovida

Giovida Member

Hi everybody! Please, I need some serious help here. I have a strat type guitar.
    - I have two Humbuckers Seymour Duncan. SH-11 bridge, APH-1 neck
    - I have a special 4-pole 5-way switch (pickup selector)
    - I have an S-1 switch made by fender on the VOLUME Pot (for series parallel combies)
    - two Tone controls, 500K

I need a very analytical schematic diagram (I am not familiar with the electrical-engineer terms) of HOW to connect all the above. I found a diagram in the Fender site. The problem is that diagram is for Fender pickups.
    The following links are for this: (American Stratocaster HH).
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0117100A/SD0117100APg2.pdf
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0117100A/SD0117100APg4.pdf

I have already tried that out, changing the wires (because the colors differ from Fender pickups to Seymours) according to a chart that I found on the internet.
    It works fine in positions 1 & 5 both with the S-1 Up AND Down. In the rest positions I get an OUT OF PHASE sound. Please take a look at the links above, they indicate excactly the combinations I'd like to achive.
    Thanx

2. Chikn

Chikn Supporting Member

The S-1 isn't for "series/parallel combies". It is on the guitar to change the operating "modes" of the 5-way switch. You can't get all of the sounds of that guitar without the S-1. If you try to do both with the S-1, you'll most likely end up just cutting off part of the setup.

3. Giovida

Giovida Member

Thank you Chikn for your answer. You are probably right aboth the S-1. But, I still need a helping hand!.
    Please take a look at the link in my first thread and you will see both:the combinations of the pickups and the schematic diagram. The problem is that I use Seymour Duncans instead of Fender Humbuckers. THAT is what creates the problem (out of phase in 2,3 & 4 positions of the 5 way switch). Could you please enlighten me on that particular problem?

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Did you try reversing the hot and ground of the Duncan in those positions??

5. Giovida

Giovida Member

I've tried many different combinations. I think I did that first thing but I cannot really remember right now. (I am not familiar with electronics-a very good friend of mine is helping me in the soldering job but he just knows the basics. For example he had no experience whatsoever of the "out of phase sound". Anyway, I will try to do that again from the beginning. I will just reverse the HOT and the GROUND wires and see what happens...
    Have you checked the Fender diagrams in my Links? Do you see any tricky part?

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I read the Fender diagram. But I have no idea how the S1 switch works. By that I mean I don't know once it pushed down and up, how the poles would connect as I have never had one before.

Try reversing the hot and ground of just one pickup, otherwise, you'd be back to where you were.

7. Giovida

Giovida Member

Thank you RvsChevron.! I'll try to post an email to fender as well. (nice moto, by the way: If you want tomorrow to be different, go on and do something different, NOW!)