Hi Fi Maiden Voyage backing

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Normster, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Normster

Normster Member

I listened to the backings I posted before, and as Scott pointed out, they sound pretty dead. Here are a couple of 192 bit versions, one without flute. They're about 6 Megs, so not too much bigger than before, but much clearer.

Maiden Voyage - with flute

Maiden Voyage - without flute

2. KirkLorange

KirkLorange Member

Hey Normster ... the link to this page was posted at my forum ... I had a look for another thread where others may have posted their clips, but I found none. If there is, could you point me to it?

I had a go at it, this time on my poor little Gibson nylon string which has developed quite the bulging sound-board tilting the bridge forward and intonation out, but I still love to play it.

Great track. I was forced to be be very deliberate in choosing the melodic path through these chords, that's for sure. I'm not sure if I succeeded awfully well but it felt good doing it!

Stream Maiden Voyage: http://www.thatllteachyou.com/mp3s/kirks_maiden.m3u

Download Maiden Voyage: http://www.thatllteachyou.com/mp3s/kirks_maiden.mp3

3. Normster

Normster Member

Beautiful playing, Kirk. Kind of an Eric Gale does Peter White. :D
    The path you took around the changes was exquisite!

I could probably dig up the old thread, but I don't remember anyone else posting a clip of their playing. (This has been my most unpopular backing to date. lol) Looks like you're the first!

I took a stab at it, but didn't like the results much. Here's my go:
    Norm's Maiden Voyage

I patterned this on Toto's version and even posted a remix to try to generate some interest. I may try to cover the tune when I get in a serious mood. ;)
    Maiden Voyage Remix

4. allthumbs

allthumbs Member

I like that tune alot. now that Kirk has done justice to it, I will upload my take in a couple of days if I can ever get audacity to work. I have a bad feeling that my pandora plugged directly into my pc is not going to work.

5. allthumbs

allthumbs Member

ok Norm. I said I would post a take so here it is clams and all. What a tough bt. No melody jumps out at you with this so i kept it pretty simple. As far as I know we are the only three to try and tackle this. What a bear. I will take another shot at it in a year when my playing skills have improved. It's a bit out of my reach now.
    look for martys maiden at my acid planet account.
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=391927&T=4418

6. Normster

Normster Member

I'm glad it wasn't just me that struggled with this one. :D

It sounds like you played it very safe with this one, but I could certainly hear a few places where your tone and playing were just itching to get more aggressive. Also, it sounds like you got your recording gear pretty well sorted out. The mix was good and I didn't hear any clipping. Pretty damn good first post!

BTW, "dirty slide blues" was very cool. I would love to hear you play that style over the maiden track!
    :dude