Hi from Down Under

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by melodious funk, Jul 19, 2008.

1. melodious funk

melodious funk Member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm an Australian guy (bloke) in my late 40s (is that like the 'new young(ish)'?). Been playing guitar for about 30 years, professionally and semi-professionaly at various times, tho I havn't done that for a few years now, and at the moment work 2 days a week as a civil servant.

I began with rock and blues inspired by people like Roy Buchanan and Jimi, a little later, EVH, Steve Lukather, Robben Ford and then George Benson rocked (or more appropriately 'jazzed') my world, along with Wes, Pat Martino, Emily Remler, Joe Pass. In the fusion sphere, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenoir, Frank Gambale and more recently SRV, Scott Henderson, Hiram Bullock, Steve Morse, Sco, Pat Metheny and probably my main man, Mike Stern, as well as many others including non-six stringers.

A few years ago I lost some of the passion and decided to have a break. The break did me good and along with seeing Mike Stern a couple of times at the 55 Bar in NY in my travels, I'm finding the passion is returning! I'm playing with people, may be giging in the near future and I've even practised some!

Funnily enough my gear lust didnt seem to diminish much and in recent months/weeks its been reaching fever pitch! Due to this I stumbled upon your site.

As far as my gear, my pride and joy(s), a Sid Poole Custom, a wonderful guitar, probably not many people are familiar with, hand built in England by Sid who sadly passed away a few years ago, and a light swamp ash body Warmoth tele with Voodoo pickups, tele in the bridge and 60's strat pickups in the neck and middle. My main amp is a 69 Fender Pro Reverb, great amp tho getting a little heavy for my back and hands, hence I will be seeking head and cab advice soon. Klotz cables. Have owned a lot of pedals, but my current line up goes, boss tu 2 tuna, keeley compressor, 2 keeley blues drivers ( I like em!), keeley ds 1, tc electronic vintage delay, zoom 507 reverb and a Zvex super duper. Still currently own original boss OD-1, DM -2, DD-2, DC-3, and Teese wah, Fulltone Dis Pro, Analogman chorus, Landgraff dynamic overdrive Keeley flexi 4x2 ts9. Also I've owned pedals that I have sold that I understand are worth a gazillion dollars nowadays, I'm sure the older guys can relate to that.

My other interests include, travel, reading, strategy games, tennis, pool, languages.

Anyway sorry for rambling and I look forward to experiencing the collective wisdom (sounds a little like the Borg) of all of you in all things guitar and life in general.

Thanks

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Greetings and welcome to TGP.

3. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

Welcome aboard have fun.

4. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Hey Melodious - I'm in the Berra, so I guess it's raining at your house too :AOK

5. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Welcome fellow Aussie!

6. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

7. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Greetings Melodious funk,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

8. melodious funk

melodious funk Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Greetings to you Gassyndrome, its a small world!

Youre right, it began to rain as I set off to Kambah for a meeting with the band that I will hopefully be giging with in the future and its raining as we speak, as youre well aware, and we need it

9. melodious funk

melodious funk Member

Sorry, hi to you robelinda2 as well!

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

G'day (<-- spoken with an English accent in spite of 20 years in Oz)

Welcome to TGP.

11. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

You have a Sid Poole? Oh, you're going to be popular here. ... :)

Welcome aboard. Nothing else to say but 'Nice guitar, mate', is there?

12. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

13. melodious funk

melodious funk Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome, Martin, Dave and Ken.

Thanks Dave, the Poole has been the best purchase of my life by far and it was just a case of being in the right place at the right time, cant express how much I love the guitar, tho this little anecdote might..... a few years ago we had a really horrendous bush fire, I was hoseing the roof and when the flaming cinders began to fall in the yard I grabbed my mother, some photos and the Poole, (and not necessarily in that order)

Cheers!

14. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Greetings FunkMan!:phones

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Welcome to The Gear Page!

16. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Greetings and welcome to The Gear Page!