hi gainer to compliment rivera??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by garfight, Sep 27, 2005.

1. garfight

garfight Member

hey guys- i have a rivera that i love (m100) but am starting up a new band and need a good hi gainer to compliment the m100.the budget looks like it will be 1200 bucks or so and im looking to buy used.
    it needs to be a head (preferably 100 or greater watts) and one good gain channel is fine.ive been looking at maybe a tremoverb or soldano but hate fizz and like definition---- any ideas ?

2. Erik

Erik Member

You know, Tremoverbs and Soldano's can be dialed in without fizz. My first thought was some type of Recto or other lower mid focused amp.

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The obvious question: What about a high gain Rivera like K2 or KHR? On the other hand, I can see if you want something different to go with the M100.

The next obvious thing would be a Recto.

4. garfight

garfight Member

thanks for the input-im in the middle of nowhere and will have to buy it unheard:)

5. garfight

garfight Member

i had a kh2 but just couldnt get along with the gain channel i loved the tonestack just not the character of the gain (if that makes any sense)

are the gain channels on the tremoverb and dual rectifier different? ive read that the tremo is quite a bit smoother and has a better clean - is that the case?

6. Erik

Erik Member

No problem...most people complain about the fizz from high gain amps because they don't push the power sections hard enough. Check out a Trem-O-verb, Single Rec, or Dual Rec. Keep the gain below 1~2 o'clock...get liberal with the mids, keep the presence down under 1:00, and get the master to at least 9:00...no fizz. (Just make sure you have ear protection) The amps will let out a pretty good roar and sound nice and pissed off...but with those settings and the volume turned down...it will be fizzy/buzzy/assish sounding.

The Soldano will be less fizzy at lower volumes, but (IMO) lack some bottom end until you get it heated up with volume.

7. garfight

garfight Member

which soldano do you have experience with? ive been kinda looking at the avenger but but it seems like theres not many of em around.

8. garfight

garfight Member

anyone else got any ideas??

9. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Randall RM-100, Genz Benz El Diablo-100, Maybe a hughes and kettner warp x...

10. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

Yeah man I own a few riveras including a sedona 100 and the knucklehead reverb. Channel 3 of the KHR is probably what you mean by high gain... but I think you could push that m100 into KHR territory with a nice clean boost pedal. I practice on my sedona with a zvex super duper pedal and can go into Slayer and Lamb of God territory with just the pedal.

Just a thought... but maybe you can finesse that amp you've already got and save some money.

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I mostly play a Rivera K-55, but if I felt like I needed more gain and a different sound, I would go for a Mesa Single Rectifier (the 50 watter).

I have never been able to find one to try, but I was always curious about the Rivera Bonehead amps for high gain.

12. Erik

Erik Member

I dug the Soldano with the depth mod.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

VHT Deliverance...

14. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've owned a couple Soldanos and loved the high gain tones I got out of 'em. If you're looking for that "Marshall about to explode" tone, it's a great choice.

Dunno where the 100W requirement comes from but IMO the Hot Rod 50 is a great budget alternative to the Avenger. 100W might be louder but it doesn't sound like you're looking for an amp with a lot of headroom.

15. Erik

Erik Member

Plus the Soldano (or any "Marshall" type amp) may not compliment the Rivera as much as an amp with a lower mid focus. I love amps with that upper mid voicing, but having a lower mid amp with an upper mid focused amp makes for a huge sound when EQ'd properly.

16. garfight

garfight Member

thanks for the help guys- ive decided to go with a recitifier of some sort.i think all the comments about it needing to be a low mid focused amp are right on the money.:dude

17. Erik

Erik Member

Just remember one thing...Recto's are not plug-n-play type amps. IMO, that is one of the biggest reasons people hate them...it will take a little time to dial them in. When you dial it in at a certain volume, then change that volume...it will sound like a completely different amp. (Most tube amps are like that, but in my experience the Recto's are exponentially more like that...) If you go the Recto route, try dialing it in at least at practice volume with the rest of the band.

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Bonehead has a lot of gain, but to me it is not really high gain in the "nu-metal" flavor sense like K2 or Uberschall.

It has a lot of gain, but it's more like just bigger and bigger sounding. It has lots of mids. It's fiery and hot sounding.

I suppose if you put the sub on it, it would crush cars about as well as anything though.

19. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Actually Erik, I've found that if you follow the manual, it makes it easy, and the tone controls are set up a bit unconventionally, so you have to open your mind a bit when tweaking.

FWIW, I just sold a KH reverb because I'm happier with my 3 channel Dual Rec.

This week!

20. Erik

Erik Member

+1. The unconventional setup of the tone controls trips up a lot of people.