Hi, Newbie, I took a 20 yr break.

JackTheRifer

Now I'm trying to decide which Strat to buy that I don't have to mortage my house to own. I bought a affinity squier and didn't like the bulky neck but it was a test run and gone via craigslist. I've tried to find out about CV 50's necks but can't locate any info. Any help would be appreciated. I have a test run amp, Peavey Vypyr 1 but will go Marshall (chasing Jimi) after deciding on the guitar.☺

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
the CV's I've tried were all decent guitars and none had "baseball bat" necks as I recall. I'd try and cough up the money for a used American Standard and have something you'll never need to upgrade from. As for the Jimi tone, be prepared to spend big bucks on an amp and attenuator or go the modeling route.

Lt Dak

Hillbilly Ron Swanson
Silver Supporting Member
Welcome back.

I'm not much help when it it comes to the CV stuff. Are you set on getting a 50s neck, or are you open to others?

JackTheRifer

the CV's I've tried were all decent guitars and none had "baseball bat" necks as I recall. I'd try and cough up the money for a used American Standard and have something you'll never need to upgrade from. As for the Jimi tone, be prepared to spend big bucks on an amp and attenuator or go the modeling route.
My budget is 3k firm so I thought the squire might work because the amp is gonna be the killer

zztomato

The Fender Standard Mexican strat is a fine guitar. Medium neck and decent enough to cover a lot of sonic ground. I think they're about 5 or 600 new. Probably find one used for 300.
317a7c28973b092790b9a5e584d2a6e4.png

What's your price range? Are you dead set on a Squier? Some of them are really good, but for a couple hundred extra you can get a Mexican made and several hundred above the Mexi can land you a US Strat.
If we know what you're willing to spend, it will be much easier to help you.

edit: I see you answered while I was typing.

JackTheRifer

Welcome back.

I'm not much help when it it comes to the CV stuff. Are you set on getting a 50s neck, or are you open to others?
Yes I'm not bent in anything guitar wise except the Strat part but the amp is a gotta have. I can always change pups

JackTheRifer

What's your price range? Are you dead set on a Squier? Some of them are really good, but for a couple hundred extra you can get a Mexican made and several hundred above the Mexi can land you a US Strat.
If we know what you're willing to spend, it will be much easier to help you.

edit: I see you answered while I was typing.
3k amp and guitar

zztomato

I've had no luck on ebay yet or craigslist
Well, if you are budgeting $3k, I think you have a lot of options. If it were me, Id be spending a lot more on the guitar. I'd target $1k give or take for the guitar and the rest on a good amp and a couple of pedals for some added fun.

songtalk

Buy a MIM standard strat and upgrade the pickups (if you want), a nice marshall, a wah, a fuzz face and a nice univibe clone. Then practice. A lot.

Lt Dak

Hillbilly Ron Swanson
Silver Supporting Member
This may be more hassle for you than its worth, but here's what I'd do (all prices are guitarcenter.com used)

American Standard strat - 650.00-800.00

Fender bassman head - 600.00. Take this to a tech and have one side plexi'd.

Used fender speaker cab - 280.00

The total on the low end is about 1600.00 before you get to effects and cables. Hunt down a fuzz face, wah, Dunlop rotovibe/univibe, TS or klon clone, and maybe a verb, and you're done.

DustyRhodesJr

Now I'm trying to decide which Strat to buy that I don't have to mortage my house to own. I bought a affinity squier and didn't like the bulky neck but it was a test run and gone via craigslist. I've tried to find out about CV 50's necks but can't locate any info. Any help would be appreciated. I have a test run amp, Peavey Vypyr 1 but will go Marshall (chasing Jimi) after deciding on the guitar.☺

Very hard to find a neck thinner than an Affinity.

Chandyland

Silver Supporting Member
@JackTheRifer what do you intend to do with this rig? Will you be gigging or playing with a band? Or will you just be rocking at home?

If you're mostly planning on playing at home, I would actually recommend looking into a good quality amp modeller. I think with good headphones you would actually get much closer to the Jimi sound with a high quality modeller than with the amp you linked to. The technology has gotten incredibly advanced in the past few years, and good amp sims actually sound amazing now.

If you're planning on playing with a band, I would do what @Lt Dak said with the Bassman. Or even just get a speaker setup for the amp modeller. Either way you would come out with much more money for a nicer guitar.

Bottom line: with a $3k budget, I would invest much more in the guitar than you're thinking right now. A Fender American Standard would be a much better instrument and result in a better experience than the cheapest "acceptable" Squier.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
This may be more hassle for you than its worth, but here's what I'd do (all prices are guitarcenter.com used)

American Standard strat - 650.00-800.00

Fender bassman head - 600.00. Take this to a tech and have one side plexi'd.

Used fender speaker cab - 280.00

The total on the low end is about 1600.00 before you get to effects and cables. Hunt down a fuzz face, wah, Dunlop rotovibe/univibe, TS or klon clone, and maybe a verb, and you're done.

This is good advice, especially about the used American Standard Strat. Recent ones are really nice. Get a Marshall instead of a Fender amp if that's what you really want, but there are tons of great pedals that emulate a Marshall. With a Fender amp and a Marshall-in-a-box pedal (or three), you'll have the best of both worlds. A Marshall full stack isn't very practical these days!

Save some of your budget in case you want a additional style of guitar like a Gibson, an acoustic, etc. or some different pedals.

Good luck and have fun!

guitargeezer

I'll second MrFalc0n on the requisite TGP question about whether you'll be gigging or playing mainly at home. That'll certainly impact your amp decision. But good news...in the 20 years that you've been away from playing, we've added a plethora of great amps and amp builders that offer lots of Marshall-flavored products.

For the Strat, I think I like the idea of buying a good quality guitar that you won't have to upgrade. But buy used...there are a ton of used Strats available, and that'll leave you more for the amp...IF you need it. I think the Classic Vibe Strats are tremendous values, but I'd probably skip to the (old) American Standard Strat.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. I was away from playing for about 35 years and have learned so much more by hanging around these places. Spent a lot of money spinning through a ton of gear, but having a blast.

Well, 3k is definitely, "I can have some serious fun" money. No offense to Squiers or Squier owners, but I'd think we(you) can have way more fun that.

If you're playing at home, I'd get an Atomic Amplifire, the new one for 800. Then give yourself a few hundred for whatever you want to stack in front of it. Or hell, go nuts and get a Helix.

Either way, you got a whole lot a guitar you can buy. Lotta options. Personally, Id get 2 or 3, and I'm not kidding. Get a used US Strat, an American Specal, Classic Player, or a Baja Tele and pair it with a LP Studio, Edwards, Epi Tribute, Orville...

Maybe it's just addict in me, but Id go with quanitity here. A kick ass, more than adequete Fender, with a kick ass, more than adequate LP, through an Amplifire and some spending money... whats not to love?

Or get a Suhr and give yourself a grand or so on a kick ass combo...

Any way you slice it, sure sounds fun. Good luck!

e???

American standard strats since 2012 are great guitars with great pickups. Find one used, and you'll still have around $2200 for an awesome amp.

Which is a whole other story...

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
3k is a lot of money to spend for a "newbie" IMO.

For the guitar, I'd either go with a new Classic Vibe Strat or, if you can find a late model in excellent shape, a Mexican Standard. The Classic Vibe has a thinner neck which it sounds like you'd enjoy, it has solid hardware, and the stock pickups are very nice considering the money. Used American Standards keep going up in price and around here they are around $750, so the Classic Vibe is still a smart buy IMO. If at some point you feel the need to upgrade, you can get most of your money back fairly easily on the CV and jump all the way up to the American guitars, although those seem to be approaching $1500.

For the amp, depending on your volume needs, I'd go with a Marshall DSL5, DSL15, or DSL40 combo. Those would go from loud to very loud and the 40 watt would only really be if you're playing in a band. As neat as the 100 watt half stack is, it's not really necessary. A used DSL5 or DSL15 combo should run about $350-400 or so in good shape and you're going to have a nice variety of tones.

But if you asked me to literally spend $3k on a Strat and Plexi type amp, I'd probably go with a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini head and cabinet and a Fender Classic Player Stratocaster.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom