Hi-output/active pickups vs volume boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ben_allison, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I'm a bit cloudy on this one.

What is the benefit of using "hot" or active pickup over simply running into a clean boost right out of the guitar? The goal is to get a hotter signal to drive the amp further into distortion – maybe even get teh brootalz.

Of course, more windings changes the tone of a pickup, and pickups can be voiced to suit a given style. My question is not about voicing or tone, strictly about output and how that affects things down the line.

It seems that active pickup = passive pickup + clean boost, no?

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Active pickups aren't necessarily "hot". The active EMGs in my Tele aren't NEARLY as hot as the passive Dimarzio PAF Joe and HD Z90 in my Strat. I actually use a dedicated boost for the Tele to bring it up to the Strat's level.

The biggest benefit of the EMGs for me is their near-silence. I got them after fighting noise demons on stage on time too many. The secondary benefit is that they are tonally equal to the noisy passive single-coils! Different in some ways, but equally good. Active pickups can solve noise problems in ways passive ones cannot, not even humbuckers.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Boosting lower output pickups is an option. With High output pickups you can't dial the boost out.

4. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I had no idea! Thanks!

5. aberrant

aberrant Member

I've had problems with actives sounding really sterile...I prefer lower output pickups and a boost pedal. They just have more touch sensitivity.

6. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I think it depends on the pickup. I could happily never try an EMG 81 again, but the EMG Tele pickups are some of the best I've ever heard, active or not. Not even a TEENY bit sterile or insensitive.

7. beej

beej Supporting Member

Big advantage with active p'ups is that the signal from the pre-amp is low impedance. So you can drive a long cable run, effects, etc. without any impact on your basic tone. (Why a lot of guys use low capacitance cable and put a buffer on their board with passive p'ups).

As far as sounding sterile, it's really a personal preference. EMGs tend to me more even across the frequencies than many passive pickups. So you can EQ them to suit your taste.

For noise reduction, I find they're good but not always great (the EMGs I've had, that is). You can find a lot of noiseless passive pickups that are quieter.