Hi, sorry I'm late ....... I don't think I've ever been in this bass forum before...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    ... but I have a Fender vintage reissue P bass and an old Kustom B200 head / 2-15 cab, and play bass enough to lay tracks for recording.

Just to get warmed up for this winter's recording season, I was figuring out the Beatles 'Savoy Truffle' bass lines off the White Album. What a great tune for bass. It's all over the place, but very melodic like most of McCartney's stuff. :)

Anyway, I have a question for all you experts. Is there any shame in using a pick for playing bass? :confused:

2. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

For shame tweedy, for shame.

:)

3. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Using a pick to play bass is acceptable only if you use you're fingers when playing your 6 string,ala Buckingham..Sorry, dems da rules.

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

I always use a pick when I play bass, purists be damned. Why should anyone else decide what's best for you?

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

It must have a different sound using the fingers, but sure it hard on the fingers. I am too used to playing 6 string, I'll probably never change.

6. ghoti

ghoti Member

Lots of decent players play bass with pick. But the truly good ones can do all styles. Me, I play with my fingers. More organic that way IMO. Some "purists" (classical guitar) might say guitar should never be played with a pick...

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

as long as you play it like a bass, and not like a guitar, no shame at all. a p-bass with a pick into a big ol' crusty lo-fi amp is rock and roll!

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I play both with fingers and pick. More rock stuff is pick based - better attack with the way I play.

9. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass Member

It's personal preference...artists as diverse as Chris Squire (Yes), Anthony Jackson (session player - "For the Love of Money" and others), Joe Osborn (another session guy - lot of 60's/70's stuff), and the great Carol Kay (just a few of her sessions include the Beach Boys, Phil Spector, and Simon & Garfunkle) - just to name a few...use picks. Go with what feels right for you, don't worry about what others say.

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Well, that's good to know. I may try using my fingers just to see the difference, and maybe if I get comfortable with it, it would be good to be able to do either.

11. 2 Loud 4 You

2 Loud 4 You Member

Ok, I'll admit I'm a snobby purist and say picks belong on guitars. I guess if it's the only way you can play then go ahead but learn how to put it down and use those fingers.

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I most always use a pick.
    It is good to be able to do either- either for the sound or the application- or in case you drop your pick.

13. SGNick

SGNick Member

With all the different ways and techniques to play guitar, I don't think it's fair for anyone to dictate what people should do.

SOme people play guitar with a pick, some play without. some play single coils, some humbuckers, some wrap their thump, some place it in the middle...

"correct" only goes so far.

14. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

Do what makes you happy Tweedy.

15. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

I was always a finger guy but listening to old recordings of my bass player who used a pick WITH MY OWN GEAR sound so rock and roll, I definitely pull out a pick at times. If you want a midrange punch to the face, use a growly Jazz bass with a pick!

16. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

:agree

Amen to this! My thoughts exactly.

17. Thor

Thor Member

I use both. Sometimes a song/style seems to really call for the attack and tone that I can only get with a pick. Most of the time I am a fingers guy. Whatever works for you.

Cheers,

Edward

18. Ricman

Ricman Member

location, location - it's the most important thing
    I use fingers, but years ago starting out, used a pick. I think a pick sounds best when used on flat wounds. Used to have a felt pick. You can get different sounds by using picks that you can't get with your fingers.

19. xk49w

xk49w Member

Berry Oakley - 'nother pick player. He did alright. Oteil Burbridge, current Allman bass player uses both pick and fingers and he's great with both. On the traditional Allman tunes, Whippin' Post, etc., he uses a pick on a jazz (alas not a Tractor). On the more current material he uses fingers on a 6-string something or other. (At least on the Beacon Theater DVD). Excellent player.

20. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt Member

+1!