Hi-Tone Lowatt SAP Combo

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by MTN, Dec 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MTN

MTN Supporting Member

Figured I’d post this here. Behold, the Hi-Tone Lowatt SAP Combo, featuring their ‘231 speaker, NOS caps, and NOS Brimar 6v6GT power tubes. These first clips were recorded with the amp plugged into a Torpedo CABM set to a Fanes 2x12. I’m pushing the preamp about halfway, but the master volume is roughly at 75%.

Here’s a LP-style guitar with PAF clones:

Here’s a P-90 equipped SG for that classic live Townshend tone:

Meanwhile, no cab sim in the following vid- just straight into the amp + balance foot switch:

I have no affiliation with Hi-Tone, just a very happy customer. Highly highly recommended.

kenawms5 likes this.
  2. kenawms5

kenawms5 Member

I love hearing that clear-crunchy kerrang. The Overture & The Seeker sound like the real deal. I want one bad!

3. MTN

MTN Supporting Member

It’s out of this world...my #1 amp. It gives me everything my ‘75 Hiwatt DR504 has, plus more...more gain if I need it, and at a more reasonable volume.

Playing anything through this amp puts a giant smile on my face, but when I play that SG, I close my eyes and I feel like I’m at Leeds on 2/14/70...albeit with no bass, drums, or vocals, no hearing loss, and at the theoretical age of -15 years old!

I can only describe that Hiwatt sound as lightning in a (tube) bottle, and Hi-Tone absolutely nails it.

kenawms5 likes this.
  4. kenawms5

kenawms5 Member

Congratulations on the amp, that early Who sound is probably the most fun guitar sound I've ever heard. And I've learned it's also very physical, the only way to play those riffs is like life depends on it or it just doesn't work. Your playing them well and that makes a difference. I can get a sound similar to Leeds with a Strat>WIIO pedal>VHT Special 6,... but it just doesn't have the same chime(and I'm not as good at playing Overture)

Using your P90 SG and also a LP, do you find that the p90 makes a major difference over humbuckers when it come to The Who stuff? I'm considering a p90 guitar, but I'm not a fan of 60 cycle hum from any single coil

5. MTN

MTN Supporting Member

Oh, absolutely. The P90s have a grit to them that Humbuckers don’t, especially with a Hiwatt-style amp. I don’t prefer one or the other, in fact I play LPs with PAF clones far more often than the SG with P90s, but the P90s do have a magical twang that makes them a special kind of dirty. That’s the thing with the live Who guitar sound- it’s not overdriven as much as it’s snappy, which isn’t what the Humbuckers do...they’re more like a jet engine whereas P90s are a huge propeller engine. I can get a closer Who sound with Firebird pickups (I have a set that’s Humbucker sized in another LP guitar), but only to a point.

The hum has never bothered me, just turn on a tuner pedal to mute the amp when you’re not playing. Or consider the Mojotone noiseless P90s.

You're absolutely right about the physicality or achieving that sound- it’s a workout! It also helps to have...such a supple wriiiiiist.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    kenawms5 likes this.
  6. shakti

shakti Member

This observation is very true - playing a CP103-style Hiwatt amp with a P90 guitar is just fun, fun, fun! The P90s are essential though.

kenawms5 likes this.
  7. destinjohnny

destinjohnny Member

Was about to get a sap
    What would u compare it too ?
    Also how would u describe it ?
    I have a hi tone jp currently

kenawms5 likes this.
  8. destinjohnny

destinjohnny Member

Was
    Was about to get a sap
    How would i describe it?

9. MTN

MTN Supporting Member

The SAP and JP are similar, but the SAP sounds...bigger. Like a sledgehammer. Slightly thicker low-mids.

kenawms5 likes this.