Hidden Gem Clean Amp Heads - Have One?

TA22GT

Laney Sounds head from late 60's.
Apparently known as the Supergroup and supposed to be only a couple of resistors away from a Marshall 100w. Can't vouch for that but the clean sound is absolutely stunning! I cannot believe how good it is. Got it given as well.....

Ayns

Laney Sounds head from late 60's.
Apparently known as the Supergroup and supposed to be only a couple of resistors away from a Marshall 100w. Can't vouch for that but the clean sound is absolutely stunning! I cannot believe how good it is. Got it given as well.....
I had one of those. In fact It was my first amp. I got it in the late '70's and paired it with a Laney 4 X 12 that I borrowed from one of my band mates . Unfortunately I left it at a rehearsal studio in the mid '80's and it "disappeared" :-(

Probably worth £2k - £3k nowadays.

TA22GT

I had one of those. In fact It was my first amp. I got it in the late '70's and paired it with a Laney 4 X 12 that I borrowed from one of my band mates . Unfortunately I left it at a rehearsal studio in the mid '80's and it "disappeared" :-(

Probably worth £2k - £3k nowadays.

Oh that was bad luck!! I hate gear thieves.
This goes through two Matamp 2x12's and although people buy them for the Sabbath sound this thing would blow my windows out if I got it to distort!
Cleans are heavenly with any guitar.

DonaldDemon

Ampegs. Steal your bass player's SVT for ultimate headroom ;-) I personally own a B25, tube rectified 50+ watts.

But just got JTM45, so we'll see what the future holds....
My Ampeg GVT15 has great cleans that are unique.

Also, the low input on my VTM60 is surprisingly nice.

Last edited:

andrus108

My Ampeg GVT15 has great cleans that are unique.

Also, the low input on my VTM60 is surprisingly nice.
Yep, Ampeg doesn't have a usual clean sound. Some guy on Talkbass checked frequency response of an SVT, and it was plain flat, so essentially they're more like a tube PA amp than tailored for guitars.

DontheMon

OP, you should try a Bassbreaker 007 head. Very inexpensive. Some of the biggest cleans you’ll find in an amp that size, in the budget category anyway. I sold mine when I got my Ceri JTM45, but it was a sweet little amp for sure.

The 007 is pretty popular though, not really “hidden”. As for a little gem you almost never hear about that I got during COVID… Joyo Beale Street. It’s so ugly I wouldn’t dare post a pic, but if you dig Tweed tones, it’ll knock your socks off.
That 007 head is same or better than the 15 head you think? See more of the 15 online...but don't really need fx loop or reverb in my situation...and the 7 is cheaper obviously.

Amp_Addicted

I love my WEM ER-30 for clean sounds. It's a mid 60's PA amp that features 3x12AX7 and a quad of EL-84 tubes. When it got cleaned up, and had its input optimized for guitar, the tech said it was what you really wanted an AC-30 to sound like. When it's pushed hard, it gets a really sharp overdrive with no mushy low end. Though I bought it off eBay, this Reverb listing is the actual head I bought. I use mine through a 4x10 Marshall 1965b cabinet with G10-50 speakers.

DonaldDemon

Yep, Ampeg doesn't have a usual clean sound. Some guy on Talkbass checked frequency response of an SVT, and it was plain flat, so essentially they're more like a tube PA amp than tailored for guitars.
I can see that. They aren't scooped like a Fender clean, they have their own thing going on.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
That 007 head is same or better than the 15 head you think? See more of the 15 online...but don't really need fx loop or reverb in my situation...and the 7 is cheaper obviously.
The 15 has more flexibility and headroom, obviously, but yes. As far as tone, the 007 is just as good, or better, depending on one’s needs/application. At the time, the 007 made more sense for me, but I demo’d the 15 several times. The 007 has a fat sound that you typically don’t find in SE EL84 amps. For playing at home, it has plenty of headroom and the cleans are fantastic, but the OD sets it apart. At the time, I also had a Tweker 15 and sold it because the 007 ate the T15’s lunch.

Some of the 007’s (maybe all?) have a slight low frequency hum at idle. It never bothered me. Not even a little. Can’t hear it all once you start playing.

Last edited:

DontheMon

The 15 has more flexibility and headroom, obviously, but yes. As far as tone, the 007 is just as good, or better, depending on one’s needs/application. At the time, the 007 made more sense for me, but I demo’d the 15 several times. The 007 has a fat sound that you typically don’t find in SE EL84 amps. For playing at home, it has plenty of headroom and the cleans are fantastic, but the OD sets it apart. At the time, I also had a Tweker 15 and sold it because the 007 ate the T15’s lunch.

Some of the 007’s (maybe all?) have a slight low frequency hum at idle. It never bothered me. Not even a little. Can’t hear it all once you start playing.
Cool. Looks like the 7 combo has a speaker out and is a 10 inch so almost as small as the head...