Hidden guitar space or gear corner, who's got one?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jjhaller, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jjhaller

jjhaller Supporting Member

I just read through this thread, http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...t-of-the-gear-corner-share-yours-too.1636954/ Which shows that some of us are very fortunate to have some killer gear in some killer rooms!

I'm wondering who out there has a stealthy spot in there house to jam out for a bit. I've always played more when I've got gear already set up and ready to go, but our current house and family size does not afford me the luxury of having my rig fully set up.

I'm currently either playing unplugged, or through a little Pro Junior that is stashed under an end table. I'd like to have just a little more gear plugged in, but still maintain the wives approval. :)

So who has the most inconspiculous gear set up? Lets see those pics.

2. jjhaller

No one with toddlers out there?

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Back in the height of kiddie danger days I would have to retreat to record in the bathroom. Guitars weren't even safe under the bed, they had to stay in cases in the closet. Amps had to have covers to avoid pokes in the grille cloth, and they had to be stashed behind the couch. Pedalboard under the couch. Mics and recording equipment in shelves. Loose gear and pedals in Tupperware bins. It was sad.

Now that the kids are older I can actually have one guitar out on a stand at all times and both amps out. I keep covers on the Amps still because of cats however. I keep my recording stuff out on the desk, that's nice.

4. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

I have my dedicated "cave" in the basement, but it's not soundproof. And I tend to play very loud. My wife loves me :D
    Only one kid left in the house full time, and he's a teenager

For "silent" playing I either pick up the acoustic, or plug into my laptop with the Amplitube

5. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Most of my gear is crammed into a spare bedroom.
    Totally unpractical to set up up for a short session.

So I put my nicest looking amp (Marshall Class 5 head/cab in wine/wheat colour) in the living room.

No complaints.

6. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

I have a 2 year old and twin 3 month olds- everything gets covered bagged and put outcof reach. I wish i had a room- but i break it out when everyone is sleeping and put a headset on.

For every day- acoustic, when i have time, but even that goes right back into the case

jjhaller likes this.
  7. c7sus

c7sus Member

I took over the dining room years ago. I have stuff stashed all over the house. My wife doesn't mind the gear but just can't figure out why I keep all the boxes.:D

8. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

We hadnt really planned to have a kid. We were married, settled, open to it, but didnt time it out intentionally..

So the first year, we were still in our in city condo. The 2nd bedroom had been my quite nice studio. But the kid took that.

So I took ridiculous advantage of the high ceilings and had a corner with amps and gear from the floor 8 feet up.

I made it work. I even finished overdubs on an album in that corner. But I am happy to have my non-stealth basement room now (with kiddie door lock).

My wife is very understanding. As she told a friend once, she knew what she was getting in to "he didnt have any real furniture when we met, just amps with cushions on them."

jjhaller, your name here and Sean413 like this.
  9. Sean413

Sean413 Member

I'm in the process now of redoing the drywall in our spare bedroom for a music... I had to ripp out the closest so I could fit everything... It's a slow process but I'm excited for sure

10. Phisherman

Phisherman Member

[​IMG]

Not exactly stealthy, but I had this setup in a room I rented before I got transferred and moved into an apartment. Gear has increased significantly since then.

I miss this room more than you'll ever know.

11. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

i used to have a semi-dedicated music room that sometimes doubled as a guest room before we moved to Hawaii. Houses are too small for that here, and they're WAY less sound proof!

12. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I've always just made sure there was an extra bedroom for playing/music gear. My wife (keys/vocals) and 5 year old little boy (drums, uke, synth bloops and bleeps) use it too.

We do have a basement in our new house though... That's a first for me. I plan to eventually finish it fully and use it for the music space/studio, while the aforementioned bedroom becomes a dedicated guest room.

13. jjhaller

Growing up in upstate New York and now living in Texas has me missing basements!

I'm thinking of finding an old end table with a drawer that my pro jr will fit under. Drill a couple holes in the bottom or back of the drawer for some cables and leave pedals in the drawer.

14. HerrRentz

HerrRentz Member

I have my whole dining room. This is what it used to look like, but I've downsized and removed the recording gear out of the area.

[​IMG]

Opposite view:

[​IMG]

15. Permafrost

Permafrost Member

I'd love to have a room dedicated to playing, but right now I have a great sounding corner of my bedroom for my acoustic where I write and play (there's a signed and framed poster of Opeth's Heritage album right above it for inspiration).

For electric, everything is in the closet, but it only takes a few minutes to set up the pedals and amp.