Hideaway

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Cussion, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Cussion

Cussion Member

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Hideaway is prolly my fave tune to warm up with. I play variations of several versions. So what amp/guitar was this clip with? Very thick tone:AOK

3. Cussion

Cussion Member

Yes, it's a very nice tune to vary the licks :)

It was a 335 through a Lehnert Rambler amp (25w 6v6 1x12 combo).
    Pushed by the Analogman Rangemaster Beano Boost.

4. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Nice tone. Nice licks too.

I have that backing if you want it.

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

Hideaway is a classic! Learn both the Freddie King and Clapton versions. They are slightly different in terms of both structure and tone. SRV does a killer version, on the Montreux DVD, where he starts in Hideway, goes into Rude Mood, and back into Hideway. All while he's got a cig hanging out of his mouth...

-KD

6. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

SRV has a version on one of the "extended CD's", but i do not remeber which...

7. OscarDaGrouch

OscarDaGrouch Member

I've learned the Freddie version, but Stevie's at Montreaux is my favorite. I tried to get a freeze frame of him blowing smoke out his nose, cig in mouth, playing Hideway. Looked way too fuzzy. He looks like a mean MF'er though, or a dragon ;-) He burns that cancer stick down to a nub, probably smoking the filter. I guess I also like Stevie playing it because of the significance of that performance....

8. Tomo

Tomo Member

Great job! Nice tone you got.

Check out Freddie King's version too. I like phrases around open strings too.

About your time/pacing..... I had a tough time following your time/form.
    You got good tone. You should feel your rest(when you don't play) as well as your playing part... this will give you better playing.

PS, Can you play this really slow? and keep your time.

Tomo

9. OscarDaGrouch

OscarDaGrouch Member

I got the backing track to Hideaway done by Double Trouble off of GuitarPort Online. You have to subscribe to use it, but it's true to Freddie's version and they do a pretty good tone patch to go with it. I learned the song first without a backing track, but that was the wrong way about it. I had a guy try to back me on it and I was way out of timing. You're timing has to be on for that song, and it's fast. It should all fall into place though once you do that.

Tomo, do you play the main riff of that song with your middle finger like Stevie does, or your first finger (like me). I tried with the middle, but because you are playing those phrases on open strings, I found the fatness of my middle finger muting the E string during that riff. Just curious.

Josh

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'd like to hear some members doing "Steppin' Out" too. How about it?

Best, Pete.

11. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Josh,

I use my 2nd finger for that phrase on 2nd string. I use 3rd finger for 3rd fret.
    If you like SRV's playing, please check out Lightnin' Hopkins. A lot great open stuff.

The backing track is cool. but you have to be careful not covered by the backing track. Another word, you want to be able to play really good just yourself without the backing track. I would do just use a metronome to groove these tunes.

PS, Please check Gatemouth Brown's "Okie Dokie Stomp" I transcribed this. (I wrote whole thing down). It's in key of Eb... Great phrases around 11th position. Albert Collins's "Frosty" another great example.

Tomo

12. Cussion

Cussion Member

Thanks a lot! I'm working on my timing.. :)

It's one bar in-between every lick.. isn't it? I think that is the part I messed up..

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

You're welcome. Yes, it's in between every phrase you play. All you have to feel more overall form rather than each lick. Keep up with your good work!
    Thanks for sharing.

PS, Play your rhythm guitar over your solo clip.

Tomo

14. OscarDaGrouch

OscarDaGrouch Member

Cussion, it is one bar of shuffling between the licks. It's pretty easy to do and makes it sound a lot better solo if you can do both the licks and the shuffling. I guess that's how Freddie did it....it's real hard to hear him shuffling on the original, but I think it's there.

15. babyblue

babyblue Member

Cussion is a very good friend of mine, we are playing a lot togther and we sometimes does this tune "hideaway", and he have no problem with the melody timing on this tune....i just think he wanned to show us how his amp is sounding.....
    and he`s a hell of a guitar palyer!!:JAM

16. Cussion

Cussion Member

:eek:
    Thanks bro!! we gotta get the band together next week.. I've heard that you have got some very tasty new licks together, and I think we should knock 'em into some songs! by the way, You blew me out of the basement with that great sounding CBC amp!!

17. Normster

Normster Member

Here's a version that blackstratblues did last year. The "shuffle" makes the tune. (Well, the shuffle AND his killer chops. :) )

http://thenormster.com/MP3/hideaway-blackstratblues.mp3

18. blues revenge

blues revenge Supporting Member

I will find one of our live recordings and post it and send it to you -its pretty good :BEER

19. blues revenge

blues revenge Supporting Member

MAn that was coool! The dude burns for sure!!!:Devil Everybody llisten to this clip!!!

20. Normster

Normster Member

Yup, that's my favorite version for sure. I haven't seen blackstratblues on the forum for awhile, but do a search for his posts. He's a monster.