High 5 for a Taylor T5?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ZeeBee, Feb 17, 2008.

1. ZeeBee

ZeeBee Member

Mar 27, 2007
    San Diego, California
    I recently played a Taylor T5 ... actually 2 (one had a koa top and the other a spruce top). My playing was in a small room in a music store and I spent about 15 minutes in the room.

My initial impression is that this is a great guitar to play ... it plays very easily and is just lots of fun.

Not knowing and not able to try all the different pickup combination I was wondering if one of the members have experience with the T5? Does it keep you excited after the honeymoon or do you get tired of the tone? And what amp sounds best with it. I'm not thinking about playing out much with it, but in my home studio and dinking around with my band, I am contemplating a possible purchase.

Any thoughts? Likes? Dislikes? Opinions?

Thanks all
  2. The Captain

The Captain Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Why don't you doa factory tour and learn more there, the factory is on your doorstep ?
  3. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2003
    City of Angels
    check their site as well. They have a fair amount of product and performance videos that might give you a closer look.
  4. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I have played them several times, and I WANTED to like them. They definitely are high quality, but I just couldn't see them replacing a good electric guitar.
  5. onemind

onemind Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Oceanside, NY
    I actually thought there were too many compromises on both sides. Acoustically it reminded me of an old Danelectro (I guess that could be good) Cleans weren't bad electric, but anything pushed to me sounded very thin and buzzy. I wanted to like it as well.
  6. KazJY

KazJY Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I love the T5, but I dig in a bit too deep with a pick, and kept hitting the top, right below the strings (not pickguard territory, literally the body underneath the strings...) So, I didn't buy one. Nice stuff though!! (Maybe I need to switch to a Jazz III pick...)

+1 on the factory tour - I don't think I was treated that well on the rest of my vacation to San Diego... Great, Great people there.
  7. JSeth

JSeth Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    Hey Zee - I own a maple top red-edgeburst T-5; have had it for a little over a year... buddy of mine has a Taylor Artist deal and I got a great price on it. First of all, I LOVE this guitar! Make sure you check the neck pup's coverage of the entire string width, up the neck - I had to have 'em swap necks to find a 'board pup that adequately covered the high E and B strings for balanced lead playing... seems that the fingerboard pup is buried in the fretboard and has no adjustment, so jack around til you find one that covers it for you... mine sounded good w/ full or partial chords and strumming/fingerstyle - but not with single note stuff - wasn't terrible, just...off a little bit.
    I bought the guitar thinking it might replace my ES-345 and ES-175, tonally - as well as produce some nice Fender tones... sigh...the whole "one guitar to do it all" quest, LOL! It did not replace any of those guitars; however, the more I played the little bugger, not trying to get it to sound like something else, the more I appreciate what it does do! The active eq is very sensitive (a little can do a lot!) - the fretboard is remarkably accurate, up and down the neck... as has already been written, the "acoustic" sound is not very acoustic to my ears, but I bought it more for the elctric tones. It gets a very nice "tele"-esque 'board pup tone, as well as a tele bridge pup... wonderful "Gretsch" rhythm sound w/ both pups (pos 4) and a good dual humbucker sound in position 5.
    AND IT WEIGHS ONLY 5#'s!!!! Feels wonderfully light and sets well in my hands, especially access to the high register. I actually like the sound through my solid-state Yamaha G100-112 more than through my '74 Deluxe Reverb - I think because the tone is so pure out of those Rupert Neve design pups and electronics.
    All in all, it is a terrific little guitar - short scale so even the 11's it's strung with feel nice and loose. Have fun with this baby!!!
    John Seth Sherman
  8. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I bought one---then I bought an A/B box, to split the signal between acoustic and electric tones. The acoustic settings through a regular guitar amp are terrible, and the electric tones feed back when pushed at all. The neck feels luscious, but the guitar was wrong, for me, on too many levels.