High and low inputs - does anyone use both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LaXu, Jun 20, 2008.

1. LaXu

LaXu Member

Many amps these days still have separate high and low inputs. Aside from chaining channels on a Plexi etc together, I've found no use for having two inputs. I always plug into the high input, even with the guitars that have active pickups.

So tell me, what purpose does having high and low inputs (just one of each) serve?

2. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I use the high input for single coils, and the low for humbuckers and mini-humbuckers. To my ear, I don't like the sound of a high output pickup into my Fender amps unless I use the low sensitivity input. Otherwise it distorts in a non-pleasant way.

So, to me, I would not ever want an amp that did not have both inputs.

P.

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

The main reason most people offer it is because it easily and inexpensively adds a bit of flexability to an amplifiers tone.

4. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I use all inputs on my 4-holers, depending on the guitar choice and/or desired tone. However, most often, I jumper channels.

On my 2 holers (Fenders), I typically use the low input.

5. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

What he said. Unless I'm after a heavier overdrive from the amp I always use the low input for humbuckers.

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

Interesting. Bumping in hopes of more answers.

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

My JCM 800 has high and low in's. I view it as two seperate amps. Thats how different the two are on this amp. I use the low when using OD pedals. It provides a better canvass for pedals. I use the high for plugging straight in and cranking. For gigging, i'd use the low with some good pedals for versitility. When recording I prefer straight in and set up tones accordingly. And that involves a pedal at times. None of this is carved in stone though.

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

This is my experience as well. I use different inputs depending upon the guitar and tone I desire.

And even if I only used one of the many choices, there'd be someone else who used only one of one of the other choices. Choice is good, especially w.r.t. tone. :)

9. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

Here's what I've read and follow with my 59 Bassman LTD (not sure if it's true, but it's what I read):

When using high output pickups, plugging into the "High" input will overdrive the preamp tubes first, and that's most of the distortion that you will hear.

If you plug into the "Low" output with humbuckers, the power tubes will be overdriven, leading to a more pleasant sound.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

A lot of times I use the lower input with the band. It's easier to keep the guitar cleaner, I can crank the amp more and it doesn't get too mushy or obnoxious when I slam it with some pedals.

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

I don't see how that would happen. The low input is putting in usually like -3 or -6 db less signal so what happens is that you get less preamp overdrive, which I can see could be useful when using pedals for overdriven/distorted tones.

I just tried messing around with the inputs on my Egnater Tourmaster. I still preferred the high input even with humbuckers. But then again I'm not a pedal guy at all.