High cost of mojo?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EasTXan, May 23, 2020.

1. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

Does anyone honestly think you get a better "player" for the privilege of paying triple the price for the Fender? Yes, one is a true Cabronita.

$1,800

[​IMG]

$600

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    The Fender is a better guitar. If you have enough money for the better/best, you can have it. It's up to you to decide if it's worth 3X.

I personally don't feel the need to spend more than $1500 on ANY guitar. I can accomplish what I need (excuse free) with ease at that price level . :wave

3. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

the schecter lost me at block inlays and that pickguard. however, that layered, bound body is cool.

willyboy, C-4 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  4. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

Yeah, that is a more Gibson-esque treatment but I've found the fretwork and F&F on Schecter midrange imports to be at least as good as the last US Fender I owned. Their pickups seem above their pricetag also.

5. vds5000

vds5000 Member

'Mojo' is purely subjective. Attaching a pricetag to it is not the greatest strategy.

WordMan, C-4, BluesSanta and 6 others like this.
  6. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

Yep in this case there's a big difference in feel - much different radius, neck shape, nut width, and if you've played a schecter before, a BIG difference in the fret work, rolled edges and quality of nut cuts.

I think even the cheapest strat can sound identical to a custom shop strat if you simply swap the electronics.

But when it comes to feel, there's a world of difference.

Also that headstock could be classified as a war crime.

C-4 likes this.
  7. tarheelalum

tarheelalum Member

In my experience a Korean made Schecter is often every bit as good quality wise as an American made Fender and significantly cheaper.

8. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

no doubt, the aesthetics of this specific model just aren't for me.
    Ill peruse and see if there's anything besides the bassvi that gets me going.

the spitfire is neat, and the p90 single cut too, which is something I'd be more likely to buy, because it doesn't have block inlays. There's a bunch of stuff from reverend I'd play too, but same thing...block inlays.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

In my experience on average the Fender USA is gonna play better and ahve better sounding pickups. And if you go up to Fender Custom Shop or Suhr or someone it will be better still. Is this somehow still a mystery at this point?

C-4 and Windup 43 like this.
  10. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I would take the Schecter. Why? Because of price and in my opinion it is great quality like the Fender and looks fancy. I would want the Fender also but it would be used and looks plain.

xmd5a and tarheelalum like this.
  11. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Schecter. Assuming it plays OK. I am going to gig it so, with that in mind, the Fender is not configured right. The one knob one switch thing won't work for me. Block inlays don't affect me one way or the other and I like the Schecter headstock better too. AND I get to keep $1200 which will pay for a couple of fret dresses and maybe even a refret. Not a big fan of the Schecter pickguard but the control layout alone is enough to render that cosmetic detail negligible. Real world, I doubt that either guitar would get played much given my current preferences. Plus I have a Reverend Flatroc I bought in 2007 which plays great and covers the sonics as well or better than either of these guitars. And looks way cooler.

BTW, when it comes to headstocks folks sure are in a rut.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  12. Otter351

Otter351 Member

This guy is going to FREAK when he hears about this new guitar brand called Gibson

Uncle Dad, rizla, C-4 and 3 others like this.
  13. Nevets

Nevets Member

You can't measure mojo in money, man.

C-4, Tommy Biggs and BigPapiFan like this.
  14. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    ......and limited edition "historic" mojo complete with certificate of authenticity for only $14,000!! :eek:

JB6464 and tarheelalum like this.
  15. KiddBilly

KiddBilly Member

I've only played a handful of Schecter Teles, but they all impressed me upon trying them. I second the opinion they are just as good quality wise as a standard American made Fender

Sneaks and tarheelalum like this.
  16. RC Mike

RC Mike Member

Buy whatever you like. Nobody else cares—it’s your choice and your guitar.

If you don’t have the money for the gear you want, make adjustments in life. Go back to school, invest in yourself, or work harder.

17. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I know MY mojo cost me a whole lot of living, so, yeah, it was expensive.;)

bobcs71 likes this.
  18. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

mojo is worth more than gold, about 1700 per oz. unfortunately, mojo is weightless.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  19. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Mojo comes in all sorts of ways. My $45 hock shop special has a lot of mojo because of the amount of work I have put into it, so does my OMI/AMI prototype kona because of its rarity and good tone. I often wonder how the "more"'is "better" adherents would go in blind tests.

20. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Tough call. Personally, I'd probably buy neither.

I will always prefer an actual Fender over a knock off (including boutique brands). I also hate the Cabronita control layout, so I like what the Schecter is doing.

turntable_blues likes this.