High cost of mojo?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EasTXan, May 23, 2020.

1. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

2. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Imho, mojo is an over-used word and at times, an over-hyped state of mind.

I like to rely on my own (lack of) talent to create the mojo I need, but then, I'm not into voodoo, so maybe that's why I don't really believe in mojo (mostly), and don't seem that it flows from me.

neilr11 likes this.
  3. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

4. Jazzandmore

Ah that has the Super 58s. The other day I saw an AR 5000 listed on Reverb. Pretty insane.

Gotta love the original ARs.

5. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

The 1505 has the 58 JAZZ pickups

a little different than the Super 58’s (which are in my AR300)

my AR100 has the uncovered V2’s (kind of a Dimarzio Super Distortion type of pickup

AR1505 was about the ‘premium’ woods - Brazilian rosewood fb and Honduran Mahogany neck and body and carved spruce top

6. Jazzandmore

Ah ok, the link said Super 58 Jazz. Yep V2s in my 100 as well.

7. rizla

rizla Member

Used to be able to pick up mojo for nothing off the street or traveling in a box car, playing juke joints and living against the odds. Now you have to pay top dollar but you can buy it online and you dont have to get of the couch.

8. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

If i came upon a set of Super 58's that weren't insanely priced I'd probably install in the ARX just to give it more of the AR flavor.

Jazzandmore likes this.
  9. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

Indeed! But I believe that information and truth do out in the end, I don't think it's as easy for them as it was twenty years ago.

I don't think that's what existence is. That's a feeling or opinion.

Yes! What I said above about my collection... The number of times after jams I got compliments on my playing / tone, then they looked at the headstock and made a face (most of my guitars are relatively cheap with upgraded pickups by original Bill Lawrence or Seymour Duncan).

Steadfastly likes this.
  10. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

Similar story here. Played many Teles in two shops in London in the early part of the decade, everything up to Custom Shops. Came out with a Squier Classic Vibe 50s. Screaming pickups, made by Tonerider it turns out, great build quality. Don't regret a thing.

Of course you're knocking. Whether or not you're speaking bluntly is irrelevant, what is more important is that you are speaking incorrectly and adding nothing useful to the discussion. You're implying that people with money just buy anything without considering price and utility.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Corvid likes this.
  11. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Mojo. Hmm.

I'm not sure it's mojo. It's more buying the guitar you want and will enjoy.

I'm sure the Schecter is good for the price. But people don't say stuff like "I'm really jonesing for a Schecter Cabronita Tele Deluxe copy." : )

I also disagree with the notion that a Korean made Schecter is as well built as a USA Fender. They just aren't as a whole. That doesn't mean they are bad guitars, particularly for the price.

Still, you should by all means buy the Schecter if you feel like Fender is ripping you off, pulling the wool over your eyes, or whatever. Not sure why you're looking for folks to share your opinion, but okee dokee.

12. VintagePlayerStrat

Good points.

13. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Ask Dumble owners what they think about that.

14. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

I think they go good with this picture.....that guy has mojo

[​IMG]

15. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

Just out of interest, why do you disagree? By what yardstick do you judge build quality other than the passport of the builders?

tarheelalum likes this.
  16. VintagePlayerStrat

When did I say I judge it by the passport of the builders? That's a new one to me.

Just like anybody else, by playing the guitars and looking at their quality. Not sure why you feel the need for me to agree that a Korean Schecter is made as well as a USA Fender, but not gonna happen because it just ain't true. Enjoy whatever guitar you play.

17. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

Fair enough, ignore the passport comment which was banter. So, how do you define "quality"? When you play them and look at the quality, what always makes the US Fender better quality?

18. VintagePlayerStrat

I'm sure we've both played long enough and been versed well enough to understand standards of quality on a guitar. I sense you're just looking for some type of argumentative reinforcement for whatever your individual choice of guitar is, probably a Schecter.

I don't know why you'd need that. You don't. But I'm not the person to give it to you. In the meantime, enjoy whatever guitar you play. And I'll tell you again, a USA made Fender is going to be more often a better made guitar than a Korean Schecter. Doesn't mean a Korean Schecter can't be a good guitar.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Member

Mojo is costly 'cause it's a lot like land. They stopped makin' both years ago. ;)

20. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Methinks you haven't gotten your hands on the Korean Schecters and are in for quite a shock if you do.

However, just for the sake of argument, the OP's subject is Indonesian, not Korean. Says so right on the spec sheet (love that Schecter does this). I'm admittedly a Schecter fan boi, more specifically of the custom shop, though the MIK line is shockingly and freakishly good at their price points. Despite fanboi-ism I'm not interested in Indonesian guitars (no, it's not a quality thing).

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/retro/pt-fastback-gold-detail

If ya want more retro type Schecter stuff, here ya go. Can't even get to this from the home page for some stupid reason.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/retro/

tarheelalum and Zado like this.