High Cut Mod for Delayla?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by walterw, May 4, 2008.

1. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

anybody know if such a thing is feasible? i like my original carl martin delayla, except that the delays almost sound "too good", like they're digital, which makes it hard to get that subtle, "there but not in the way" echo.

2. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

3. walterw

dammit, don't just sit there eating chips and drinking soda, help me! :)

4. walterw

5. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

Sorry I'm no help. I have an original DeLayla as well. I love it. I've had other analog delays that had "dark" repeats. I just turn down the Echo knob a bit for the subtle echo you're talking about. I was interested to here what people had to say as well, but I guess we're the only DeLayla users here on TGP.
    Gook luck.

6. bestegw

bestegw Member

Well, a high-cut mod is in itself quite easy: you need a resistor and a capacitor in the correct values. The 2-part-circuit will cut highs to ground, with leaves you with the desired effect.

If it can be done depends largely on the circuit board of the delayla. Since Carl Martin is a pretty hi-fi company, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd use SMD-technology with makes for very small parts. An other problem could be goop covering up the pedalboard. If those two things aren't the case it could be done, although you'd have to track the circuit, which is quite a job with delays.

7. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I use a Delayla.... but I'm also not going to be much help. I find my repeats are the perfect coloration not to muddy up the mix. I use the second tape head knob when I want a little more ragged repeats.

What you want to do is get in touch with Rid .... he's a member on this board and works for Carl Martin. He should be able to help you.

8. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have the older Delayla. Mine definitely does not need a high cut mod!

9. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i really hate that goop... makes it very hard to do repairs

10. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Mr Wright...send an email to info@carlmartin.com, and ask Soren about what it is you want, then we can take it from there:)
    Hi-Fi???
    That would be the first time I hear that:D
    Do not assume such things, we are oldfashioned beyond anything, use no SMD parts, have no SMD solder machines, we use oldschool close to obsolete parts, we use oldfashioned Hakko solderstations, normal size parts as well....essentially it is a small time operation, just doing it in series for more effeciency!
    We do it like everybody else!
    There is no goop in any of our products....as it is a pain to service!
    Nor do we bother about it!
    Hope this shed some light on things!
    Regards Niels

11. walterw

success! on a tip from andreas, who knows of a similar mod for boss digital delay pedals, i put a capacitor between the middle leg of the echo knob and ground, and it darkened the slapback sound right up, while leaving the original sound untouched. i ended up with a .47 uF cap, which might be a little too dark for some, but i'm running it in front of a crunchy master volume marshall, which tends to over-emphasize delay repeats, so it ended up being nicely blended in context. it also attenuates the delay level a bit, so i still might try something a little smaller, say a .2 or .1 uF.

bestegw suggests a resistor as part of the mod, and i'm curious as to it's placement and purpose. i did find that the cap by itself had a rather gentle "slope", in that it didn't really kill the highs unless it was a big enough value to eat into the mids and overall echo volume as well. if the resistor somehow makes for a sharper cutoff "knee", i might like that.

and fyi, my delayla is made of all full-size components and is blessedly goop-free.

12. mockoman

mockoman Member

I,too,dislike the repeats "slamming" into each other,but I like them bright and clear.
    I think a solution would be to have slight (and adjustable) compression on the repeats (but not on the original signal). Just enough to take the edge off the attack of each repeat.
    Don't know if that would sound good or not,or if it would even be doable,
    but I would like to hear it.
    Is there already a pedal that does that??

13. walterw

i think big dollar digital delays like the 2290 can do stuff like that.

14. walterw

update:
    after tweaking it again and using it on a gig tonight, i can say with confidence that a .1uF film cap placed between the middle leg of the echo (delay volume) pot and ground is just right to warm up the repeats without losing too much of the repeat volume.

i am at last happy with my delayla.