1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

High E not sustaining properly??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kayemmsee, Feb 15, 2009.

1. kayemmsee

kayemmsee Member

Hello . .

I've got a 2004 American Deluxe Tele which unfortunately suffered a fall from about 4 feet flat onto it's back. It sustained (no pun intended) a crack in the finish (along the back of the body) but nothing that went through to the wood itself as far as I can tell.

Ever since this accident, I've noticed that the high E string doesn't seem to sustain as long as the other strings do. It sounds almost like there's a piece of cloth lightly dampening it whether it's played open or fingered. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's fingered high or low on the neck.

I've changed the strings, adjusted intonation, string height . . . I'm at a loss. Any ideas out there?

Thanks a bunch for reading and thanks in advance for your theories / suggestions.

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

All screws on the bridge plate tight? Saddles as they should be? Tuners snug as well? How 'bout the nut....still seated perfectly with no cracks? Is the lack of sustain noticable when using each pickup seperately?

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Coulda knocked the neck loose, or a saddle loose?

Take the neck off, or loosen it a lot and then put it back on, tune it up, and see if theres a difference

4. kayemmsee

kayemmsee Member

thanks for the tips guys . . . i'll try taking the neck off soon here and i''l get back to you . . .

thanks again for helping

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

When you put the neck back on make sure you check that the strings are centered on the neck before you tighten the neck screws all the way.

For proper alignment, the outside "E" strings should be very close to the same distance from their respective edges of the neck. Tighten the neck screws tight,. Don't try to break your wrist turning 'em - but DO get them tight; not snug, tight!

It could also be:

1) a cracked nut
    2) saddle adjustment slipped
    3) Is it a 3 barrel or 6 saddle bridge? If it's a 6 saddle, make sure both height adjusting 'feet' are adjusted so that the saddle itself is sitting 'level' on the bridge top, not cocked to one side or the other. The saddle heights need to follow the radius of the fretboard, but each individual saddle should sit 'level' so that each 'foot' of the saddle bears equal tension.

If the saddles are not resting flat, the strings won't sustain as well as they can, because they're not coupled to the bridge as well as they could be.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

6. Tinman

Tinman Member

I think the nut is the most likely suspect. Maybe it became unseated or perhaps it cracked under the string along the groove. You didn't lose a string tree in the fall, did you?