High end acoustic or high end electric?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarnut_1, Mar 17, 2015.

1. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I have some coin to spend at the moment and am really pondering over weather to buy a high end dreadnought acoustic or a good electric guitar...

I don't have an acoustic at all at the moment....

What would you pick?

2. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

I'm a mainly electric player. I found an acoustic that just does it for me and haven't been looking for one since. Was prepared to spend up to 3k, but ended up loving a 1.5k Martin the most out of all 40 or so that I tried between several stores. Still is THE acoustic tone in my head. If you don't have an acoustic, I would look into that..

3. dubdub

dubdub Member

Neither, I'd buy several work horses that get the job done. I've had high end acoustics in the past, all I did was baby them and never played a gig with them because I didnt want anything to happen to them, so I let them go and life is good again.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

nice electric. Im not a big time acoustic guy but I still like to play them so I got a relatively cheap one and threw some stiff phosphor bronze strings on and it gets me further than I need to go!

5. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I am buying used at great prices. I normally try NOT to compromise quality, as in the long run I will want to have the best. So better spare myself the buying and selling crap and get a killer guitar in the first place. Is just my philosophy.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

May as well get an acoustic.

7. zhivago

zhivago Member

I'd go acoustic. Find a great one, keep it for life. :)

8. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

High end acoustic.

9. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Not sure what your budget is, and there are good guitars all across the price spectrum, but the difference between a $500-1000 acoustic and what you can get for $2-3k is much larger than the gap between similarly priced electrics.

10. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I would spend around $1000 for an Eastman E20D dreadnought and use the leftover cash on an electric...

I have several acoustics that cost more than my Eastman, but I find myself grabbing the Eastman because it's that good.

11. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

What do you play more, electric or acoustic?

I have a nice Martin 000-16 acoustic but don't play acoustic that much any more. It's good enough for my acoustic playing needs.

I have some nice electrics, a Strat, Tele, Les Paul and a semi-hollow (Collings I-35).

Your decision depends on what you have now and what you would play the most as you add to your collection.

12. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Acoustic.

Gotta have both like duh :bonk

13. happy1shirt

happy1shirt Member

This is a good point.

Get the best acoustic you can afford and play it for the rest of your life. Sometimes it's really nice to just play guitar and not have to worry about electricity and amps and cables etc.

14. edward

edward Supporting Member

I gotta agree 100% with this! A genuinely decent electric vs one 2x-3x its price is a smaller difference in tone and craftsmanship to a decent acoustic vs one 2x-3x its price. Both in playability and particulary tone, a stellar acoustic is a beautiful thing to behold and cherish ...and I am a consummate lover of my strats and pauls, not to mention typically play more elec than acoustic.

If you're just "kind of wanting" a good acoustic then most any decent one will do (I notice you don't own any acoustic at present, so are you sure you really want to drop lots of coin there?). But if you're serious about getting a great acoustic, I'd personally spend the dough and energy there as opposed to an electric where the delta between "good" and "really good" in not nearly as significant ...IMHO, of course.

Edward

15. hacker

hacker Member

Get a high end acoustic. High end acoustics are a thing of beauty. My D-28 changed my musical life. Not only was it the acoustic tone I've had in my head for years, it also got me into different styles of playing-open tunings, finger picking that I never would have explored.

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

What? Are you kidding me? :huh

This is TGP. Both, please. :banana

17. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    I would suggest you think about a carbon fiber acoustic. I bought a Rainsong H-OM. I have a high end acoustic and I have some very good electrics. I love my Rainsong. I can take it anywhere. The OM size is very comfortable, the neck is much like an electric neck, it isn't susceptible to humidity and temperature...a great take-anywhere guitar. And it sounds terrific! I chose Rainsong because I wanted a guitar with a truss rod. It was adjusted to my liking when I first got it and hasn't budged. I tried another brand with no truss rod, and there was no way to take enough saddle height down to get the action low enough. Anyway, my vote is for a carbon fiber Rainsong.

18. darkinners

darkinners Member

the difference between high end acoustic and low end acoustic is much bigger than on electric.

So I'd say Acoustic.

19. footiee

footiee Member

acoustic since you dont have one.

a nice acoustic is alot harder to find than a nice electric imo. all the best in your hunt! =)