High end "bootiq" Marshall's: Which one is the best for a pedal setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I am thinking Mike Landau - Hendrix. A clean, uncompressed tone on the amp and some nice pedals on the floor. Aiken - Germino -Mojave -Roccaforte??? What are your experiences?

2. meterman

meterman Member

My TopHat Emplexador is a great pedal platform if you want to use it that way, it's got a lot of various tonal options (Fat/Bright, Normal/Boost, Vintage/Modern) and a loop, great sounding amp

3. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I can't speak for the others, but I have a Germino Lead 55 that is great with pedals for the sounds you are looking for.

4. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

Myron, IMO, a NMV Marshall type. You want to be able to run od's, distortions and fuzzes, you want a 4-input like any Germino.
    That will clearly translate the pedal's tone and IMO pedals never sound better than thru a 4-input Marshall or Marshall-type.

All the other amps are cool but the Germinos take to pedals better than anything else I ever used.

5. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Perhaps a Blockhead? Supposed to be just like a 60'' Marshall.

6. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Thanks Carl! Aren't Aikens build the way a NMV Marshall was built too? 4 inputs and all?

7. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

FWIW, my fave Landau is the Super/Deluxe set-up with pedals.

8. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Thanks all for the replies!:)

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Go for a JTM45-style amp - I have one here built by the TotalTone folks in Toronto: http://total-tone.com/
    Amazing, shimmering to dark clean tones, smooth grind when cranked, takes pedals well.
    Hiwatts are also killer, but less a fan of pedals...

10. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

Aiken I played had a master and preamp volumes.

I'm sure it sounds great with pedals, but a JTM-45 style 4-input would be my choice.

11. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

The Germino club 40 takes pedals amazingly well, you should really give it a test drive before you purchase something else!

12. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

In my tests, for my needs...I preferred the Aiken Invader 30watt over the Germino Masonette, by a large margin.

13. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

14. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

They sound great, unfortunately Coyote is too small for me and Peacemaker is too big!!!:D I am interested in the Scorpion, I would like to know which one would someone prefer between the Germino L55 and the Scorpion as a pedal platform! :)

15. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I would love too but I live in Greece, Europe, I have to buy without hear...:( What I am thinking is that Club 40 may not have such a big headroom as Lead 55, what i primarily want is a loud (not TOO loud though!!!) clean tone for the use of pedals. What do you believe, when the club 40 starts giving crunch on the volume pot?

16. Ed DeGenaro

17. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I second the Club 40. I absolutely love mine.

For me, it is plenty loud before it starts overdriving and takes pedals VERY well, as good if not better than any amp I've tried.

I think that the C40 takes pedals better than the Lead 55. You might even try getting Greg to roll you a JTM45 style front end with a full 50 watt output section. That would probably be just what the doctor ordered. You'd have the nice even-tempered, pedal-friendly front end of the Club 40 with the full brunt and headroom of the Lead 55. I'm not sure that this is even possible, but it's worth a shot. Give Greg a shout; he's great about helping his customers pick the right amp for their needs. :)

18. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

:D You know that this is always in the mix!!!! :D

Here is the whole story: I got a Carr Rambler this month: I absolutely LOVE it's clean tones but, pushed by pedals, it doesn't have the british flavor that I finally understood that I want. It is very fat but not tight in the bass and without high-mids, typical american school. I am just looking for a dead-on plexi thing. Flexi is in a different league for me, I will buy one sooner or later. What do you believe Ed? (confused Myron...:()

19. Ed DeGenaro

Same as a I always said...want an old Marshall get an old Marshall.
    And for a similar flaour with better cleans I've always used my THD Plexi, and the last year or so Flexi.

20. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...in order of preference (I don't use a lot of pedals usually, mostly SIB Varidrive, sometimes fuzzface clone, Teese wah, something swirly off a looper box):

#1 Germino Lead55 (standard, ss rect) needs some attenuation (using Weber load dump) for rehearsal & small clubs, but this one just loves the pedals, going from modest volume up to mighty roar.

#2 Germino Masonette. Actually, tied for #1, this one eats 'em up also. The two Germinos are the keepers on this list, for me.

#3 Aiken 30W Intruder: excellent amp, drives beautifully, but I dig the cleans more on the nmv Germinos.

#4 Roccaforte Custom 30: great for heavier stuff, surprisingly pristine cleans, but harder edge and more in-your-face than the ones above, the Germinos are more my taste.

#5,6: Fargen MightyPlex and Fargen Hi-Gain Classic: nice amps, well built, I just didn't bond with them as much as the top 3.

fwiw, -Guy