High End Cables - Yea or Nea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by freaksho, May 9, 2008.

1. freaksho

freaksho Member

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

3. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. cmr415

cmr415 Member

I have noticed a large audible difference between my Monster Jazz and my Sommer Stratos. It was wortyh the extra $40 for the Stratos

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

I think it is worth a few bucks more. I got a curly orange guitar cable from lava man and I noticed right away the difference. just 'more' of everything.

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

i have a multimeter on order right now that measures capacitance. is this a reliable method for determining capacitance in instrument cables? it sounds like that's the most important factor for tone.

and what is a good capacitance rating?
    (i assume it's a per foot thing, right?)

7. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Im of the same opinion. Yes but within reason, i wont go crazy on cable buy's.

I bought some nice Gepco cable from lavacable and very happy with what i have.

8. freaksho

freaksho Member

oh and btw i use cable more on the budget side: DiMarzio. but they tought themselves as being "low capacitance" (620pf for 18 foot length). i don't know if this is actually low or not. the tweed fabric is cool though :eek:.

and 6" Live Wire between effects. (iirc)

9. cmr415

cmr415 Member

Go to lava cable's web site. It explains the Picofards per foot thing better than any of us knuckle heads could:eek:

10. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

oh boy ... here we go again

11. freaksho

freaksho Member

yeah, i know. but i guess i was trying to make this one about discussing actual specifications and engineering concepts and not about buzz words & marketing speak. so far so good i think.

12. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Yea...I have the Zaollo 20 ftr's and lava cable on the board...The zaolla's have a great warranty process and they sound great...Been over a year of gigging and no problems...Cables normally last about 200 gigs with me so these have done great.

13. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Wow, this is all news to me. I have found that the better the guitar cable I use, the faster I can play!!

14. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

In simple words, hell yeah. Try the Evidence Audio from Lava...unreal.

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a couple of the Vox Class A woven fabric cables and they sound really good. Excellent considering only 40 buck each!

:phones

16. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I had won a huge pile of Monster Audio instrument cables, and they got spanked by a simple Canare GS-6 patch that was 4' longer!

I'm a little bit of an audiophool, but not so much so that I'll spend $1000 on a speaker cable or guitar cable. There is a clear point of diminishing returns and budget IMHO.

I find that most of the better quality cables can be used to "fine tune" your sound, but I typically just find one that's pretty accurate at getting the guitars tone across and I'm fine.

You don't need "golden ears" to hear the difference between different quality of cables I've proven to myself time and again.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  17. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

no difference to a well made "cheap" cable.

18. digital jams

digital jams Member

Dimarzio has one of the best cables tested by GP, the Steve Vai sig cable. It smoked several Lava cables and other high brow brands per their testing.

Dimarzio is now = high end.

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

I've pretty much been a simple Mogami cable guy forever. However, Mark at lava has let me try many of the hip expensive stuff. Some I've liked some I haven't. None were so much better than the Mogami until he let me try the Vovox. Unreal. I have finally bought into the high end cable stuff with this one. Best cable I've ever tried. It just sounds and feels killer!

20. Jazz guru

Jazz guru Member

Hmmm - lets see - lots of money for a cable and then we add a gizillion stomp boxes.....
    Kind goes along with the expensive amp and then $89 stomp box to get it to sound right - sometimes we just don't compute!
    After all its only rock and roll!
    After saying that i agree law of diminising return really applies here. I have some a Plant Wave that darkes the tone compared to Some George L's that I have but when playing out (louder than at home and with other instruments etc) and all that I doubt if there would be any preceviable difference.