High-end Replacement Pickups for a 1969 P/J bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Robal, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

I have a very nice '66 P bass that I got a good deal on because in the distant past (1970s?) someone had neatly routed out and installed a J bass bridge pickup, thereby messing with its vintage value. But also making it, arguably, a more versatile bass. It has a Gibson style toggle switch so I can play either pickup alone or combined. It's a passive set up. The bridge pickup (of unknown origin) is not very good sounding on its own and there's some hum from it. I know that Fralin, Aero and some others make nice replace P/J sets, some with humbucking bridge pickups. Any suggestions here? It's a fine bass and I would like to treat it to some great pickups. Perhaps leave the original P Bass pickup in (which is good), or replace the entire set. Any thoughts? FWIW, I don't want overwound, hot pickups, like a Duncan Quarter Pound, and would probably prefer to keep it passive rather than add electronics.

2. Sarg_29

Sarg_29 Member

Check out some Bartolini pups, a buddy if mine replaced the pups in his P Bass with these and really likes them. They are very quiet...

3. landru64

landru64 Member

barts don't cut thru in the mix that well imho.

the bridge pickup will always hum as it's usually just a single coil unless you get something specifically humcanceling. the best humcanceling J style pickup i've tried--and i've tried many--is the suhr humphrey. i have them on my 68 jazz bass and i never miss the original pickups. it will go well with your stock P pickup, which i'd keep for sure.

i'd also check out norstrand's humcancelling J pickup. i hear incredible things but haven't tried it.

edit: if you still have noise, have the bass shielded and star grounded.

4. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

5. SamuelLee15

SamuelLee15 Member

Nordstrand is the way to go.

6. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

Fralins P bass are awesome...