high end roll-off with the Retrosonic chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Goofball, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Goofball

Goofball Member

Anybody else have this problem??

i'm currently having my own personal shootout with an Analogmon mini chorus and a Retrosonic chorus. i really like the lush sounds from the Retro - BUT - there is a very noticeable high end cut with it. It's not as noticeable with the cleans as it is when I add overdrive. However, when i do, it sounds like I need to re-EQ everything! Switching between clean/dirty with the Retro on sounds like someone turning my treble all the way to "0"!

Anybody experience the same thing? Is this just how the pedal is designed?? this can't be right...

Man, i was really hoping that the Retro would be IT but i didn't have even enough confidence in it to take it the gig last night. :(

2. wahwah

wahwah Member

I encountered the same problem with my Retro-Sonic Chorus when I compared it to my original CE-1. After discussions with Tim Larwill from Retro-Sonic we agreed that the CE-1 he modeled his Chorus on was a lot darker than my own. As a result, he suggested a mod to me that brought the RS Chorus much closer to my original CE-1. Here is a photo he sent with a cap outlined which can be disconnected from the circuit to achieve the desired results. I understood that this modification needed to be done by someone with the appropriate skills and that it would void the warranty unless it was done by Tim himself. The end result is fantastic.

[​IMG]

Cheers........................................ wahwah

Dannyz likes this.
  3. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Thanks for posting that pic wahwah. I've heard about that mod, so it's nice to see exactly which cap should be removed. It can't be that hard to pull it out yourself though right? Just don't drip any hot solder on the board?

4. Goofball

Goofball Member

Thanks, wahwah! I was ready to send it back but now i may try and take that cap out. The pedal would be almost perfect if it didn't lop off all the high end.

Actually, while i have you guys, have you noticed any noise with your units? on the instruction page, it does say that the Retro chorus uses some sort of noise cancellation circuit to combat the inherent noise in circuit. for the most part, it seems to work although i noticed when hitting harmonics that i would hear some sort of strange static-y sounds. i realize that some pedals may not be dead quiet but that seems a little much.

i didn't get a bad pedal, did i?

5. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

I assume if the cap is removed that the circuit still needs to be completed....not just the cap clipped?

6. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

Bump on mod question....

7. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I just ordered one of these today and was hoping this question would be answered. I'd assume if you're removing the cap, a jumper should be installed in place of it. Eh?

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I would guess not. It probably is a cap to ground which allows treble to flow to ground while blocking the rest of the signal (thus allowing it to travel through the circuit). **If** this is the case, then no jumper would be needed.

Btw, I had two RS chorus pedals. One an earlier one that was as bright as my old CE-1, and the second one (converted to 9v) was a little bit darker. The earlier one was definitely brighter than an Analogman Clone Chorus (had them at the same time). I've only kept my earlier RS and a home made Clone Chorus now. Both styles rule for chorus. I bet that this mod sounds great on the new RS Chorus', plus you can power at 9v.

9. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

I too am very curious about this. I was considering selling my Retro Chorus because of the overly dark sound.

10. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I TOO was very curious and emailed Tim at Retro-Sonic. Here is is reply:
    "You simply take that capacitor out and leave the space empty, and it will restore some hi end to the unit (no need to jumper the holes or anything) if you prefer the older sound just solder the cap back in. It's a tight space so please be careful when working on it."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm gonna be very very careful when sticking a soldering gun to the circuit board of this baby.

11. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

12. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

13. John Price

John Price Supporting Member

I just received my Retro-Chorus pedal this week! WOW! what a fantastic sounding chorus. The vibrato is stunning as well! Being able to switch between both effects is such a bonus. As far as the darkness, I don't hear it with my pedal. I think it sounds very neutral.I did notice it sounded much nicer in the effects loop than running it in-front of my amp..

I would like to thank all the chorus users on this forum for turning me onto this fantastic pedal!
    Thanks!
    JP

14. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Just received mine last week, I think it sounds wonderful. I was already considering the mod before I even took delivery of the pedal but after hearing it, it is not necessary, for me anyway.

15. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

I purchased an Xotic X-Blender and put my Retro-Sonic Chorus in it's parllel effects loop. Much better when going into the front end of an amp, all the darkness is gone.

16. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Just had the mod done the other day, as much as i liked the pedal in stock form, I like the modded version even better. Lifting the cap brought back a lot of the highs that were missing, it's just perfect now.

17. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I received a Retrosonic chorus yesterday, and the first thing I noticed was the loss of high end.

I'm going to try this mod tonight and see what happens.

18. mc2

mc2 Member

I agree 100%-I love mine as is.

19. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Am I the only one who cannot find the highlighted cap in the picture! :confused::dunno

TG

20. Flenz

Flenz Member

It's a green cap, highlighted by a white rectangle.

Flenz