High end tube combo's...which one?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by willyripz, May 14, 2006.

1. willyripz

willyripz Member

Heres the scoop gear heads:

I'm looking for a phat rock tone. I'm Not interested in metal. I'd love something fat ,bluesy with lovley tube overdriven sustain - and something powerful! Soungarden, Audioslave, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zep

I play a Gibson SG Standard and will be using a modified Tubescreamer for extra juice.

Heres some combo's I've been looking at

Marhsall Handwired 1974X (possibly with extra cabinet)
    Orange Rockerverb 50 combo
    Mesa/Boogie Lonestar/Lonestar Special combo
    Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Ace combo

I've heard really good things about all these amps, price isn't a big issue because I plan on getting "The Amp" and using it for years, so I'll lay down the coin

Anybody have any information on these amps? Experience? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks dudes/dudettes!

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't use a 1974x for those tones. Too midrangey. It's cool..but it's much better suited for blues, IMO.

I would look into the Vox AC30, however. I'd also look at a Super Reverb and a nice pedal or two. Check out the MI Audio Crunchbox and the T-Rex Mudhoney.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Good Lord.

Leon NOT recommending the Rockerverb?

At any rate, for what you're looking to do, that Rockerverb sure is the deal... I like it better than any of the other ones suggested.

IMHO.

EP

4. Roe

Roe Member

try a germino club 40 with rectifier switch and high voltage tranny

5. hemlock

hemlock Guest

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Fuchs ODS-30

7. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

hehhe - I think you mis-understood my reply. What I'm saying is, of the amps he said he is looking into, I didn't think the 1974x would do it. Implied but not stated--I think the rest of them would. For that kind of music, I think the Vox AC30 and Super Reverb also deserve looking into.

Now...that being said...I don't like the RV combo as much as the head + cab. It's not an amp that I personally think performs its best in the combo format. Just my take. I prefer it with a closed back.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

+1 on the AC30. Or you might try one of its boo-teek brethren, such as the Valvetech Hayseed 30 or a Bad Cat, Matchless or Top Hat. If you crank an AC30 through a pair (or quad!) of Celestion Blues -- especially with a humbucking SG, which is what I play, BTW -- the tones will blow your mind. Not metal, but rawk. Think Queen or the Stooges.

And please don't add an apostrophe to plurals. Apostrophes indicate possession or missing letters, so it's combos, not combo's. Just as it's rock 'n' roll, not rock n' roll. You may now move about the cabin.:D

10. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Member

I've owned 3 of the 4 combos you were considering. For what it's worth you can't beat the Germino Classic 45. I've owned 3 Germino amps and the one I prefer is the Classic 45. It takes strats & LP the same, add a pedal and you get the big rock tone you are looking for.

11. fender4ever

fender4ever Member

Check out a Fender bassman if you can find an early 60's model

12. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

+10. My experieces with the Fuchs just keep getting better and better each time I play it.

13. onemind

onemind Member

+1 Budda SD, Love my Fuchs, but not for Heavy Rock

14. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Look at a 18 watt clone variation like a TMB.

Gabtone
    GDS Amplification
    Trinity Amps

15. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Member

I have a LSS 1 x 12 and its pretty darn good; you'll be able to get rid of your pedal (if that's what you want).

The LSS has reverb per channel (I like that a LOT-light reverb for rhythm, none for lead) and that great solo feature (a boost which you can adjust).

One might question if there is enough clean headroom in channel 1; some think maybe not. Consider a head and 2 x 12 cab, also.

Two channels with a two gain adjustments for channel 2 and remember, both the LSS and the LSC are "non Boogie Boogies"; they're a little different than the other Boogies.

Great resale; good reputation and built like a tank with 5 year transferable warranty. Tough to beat in the rock/blues combo category.

By the way, based on my mood, I'll sometimes gig using just one of the channels- just dial in the amount of gain you want and let your hands and the guitar volume do the rest.

16. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

Rockytop Rockytop Rockytop

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

18. Matt F

Matt F Member

My brother has a Fuchs TDS50 w/ 2X12 cab.. It is pretty much, how the kids say it, "The Bomb".

19. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

You have an SG and want to rock Audioslave/Soundgarden tone? You need an EL34 amp for sure.

Look into the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30. Truly a boutique amp that can cover every base in rock sounds. WOW. More than enough gain for you and also one of the best clean channels out there. Do yourself a favor and look into it...I can't recommend it enough!!!