High Frequency Hearing Loss & Tone?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Fndrbndr, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Fndrbndr

Fndrbndr Member

Like many of you, I've been a musician for decades...started out on the drums at age 14 and spent many hours bashing away on them with no hearing protection, and later switched to guitar. After all that and playing in numerous bands over the years - you guessed it - I've lost the ability to hear certain high frequencies.

No big deal, since I can pretty much hear normally otherwise, but I was wondering if any of you in the same situation end up dialing in your guitar rig too bright to compensate? I've had comments that my tone had too much highs in the past, but it sounded fine to me. Do you just dial things in to please your own ears or ask someone you trust to help you dial in a tone that's more pleasing to the audience?

2. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

ive played with quite a few old fellows who seem to have high frequency loss and make their tone ice-pick as a result. then again ive also played with quite a few young guys who make the mistake as well. and sound men. i think lots of people just don't mind excessive highs as long as they're the ones making them. but for everyone else its pain.

oh right, but you gotta 'cut through the mix'. i forgot.

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Keep thinking I have hearing lose especially in my left ear...
    however when I clean it out ... there's so much dark wax matter it seems I can hear again.
    Yet, have to dig in there with that little scooper at least once a month,
    because it gathers back up and blocks my hearing so fast ...

4. pkevinb

pkevinb Member

I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. I once dialed in and amp and got it just right. I plugged in the next day and the tone was gone, sounded all flat and bassy. Then I realized I didn't have my hearing aids in, and I couldn't get over how much I was missing and now always play with the hearing aids in.

5. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

6. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Hey Joseph,
    Don't believe me, but you should consult your local audiologist and they'll tell you it's a pretty risky move inserting any sort of a probe that could likely puncture your eardrum in the off chance that you slip or dig too far (including Q-Tips). Better, look into using an ear syringe (big rubber ball like the little ones they use to aspirate infant's noses; the thing Patch Adams used to make his red nose, but bigger). Keep it in the shower with you and when needed, use it to safely flush out the embedded wax in the ear canal (keep/have a small plastic food storage container in there for collecting the warm water to feed the syringe). Works like a charm and don't worry, even though it sounds/feels strange, you're in no danger of rupturing the ear drum..... Just my two cents, passing along what I've learned along the way.

Mike

Edit, 8:08AM:

Thanks for the confirmation, ibis

BTW, I just wanted to add that it takes a bit of water pressure to dislodge the wax, you'll probably have to use 2 hands to squeeze the bulb (at least on your non dominant hand), that's why I stated that it might sound weird or kind of scary as you send this high pressure jet of water into your ear. If you're curious about how the procedure should be done/feel, just stop by your doctor's office and ask him to demonstrate the procedure for you. Your doctor will be using a large metal syringe that actually looks like it comes straight out of a Three Stooges sketch, but don't be put off by it. As my audiologist says, wax is actually your friend because the ear is the only orafice that does not have a mucus producing gland to keep it hydrated. Don't be so quick to erradicate all of the wax, it will come out naturally on your pillow as you sleep. Periodically it will be necessary to irrigate, but it's quick and easy to do it in the shower and you'll be pleased with the results.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. ibis

ibis Member

Mike speaks the truth.

Nothing smaller than your elbow in your ear.

It used to be said by a friend of mine that old rockers who used to play Les Pauls turn to Strats in their dotage because of high end hearing loss.

Is it true? Dunno, but Beck, Clapton & Gorham are three that I can think of who switched, but maybe not for audiological reasons.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Exhibit A for high-end hearing loss - compare early Barden PUPs to today's offerings (i.e., I'm sure Joe B. believes he's voicing them same as ever).

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

Have you heard a recent Rush album?

10. Jon Silberman

Not sure how that translates to hearing loss. The recent Rush fare suffer from the same shortcomings as most new recordings - squashed to **** compressed instruments overwhelming the vocals so you can barely make out a word - but this is not a high end hearing loss issue.

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

Insanely bright and harsh - compensating for HF hearing loss.

You run into the same thing w/concert sound. The "veterans" have been doing it so long that they're virtually deaf, so they crank the HF.

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I agree, and in Joe's case, just ask him, he'll tell you. (Joe is notably opinionated - ha ha)

Thanks, Dana O.

13. Jon Silberman

Concerts are one thing. I agree with you there. I don't re: the recent Rush stuff. I don't know how you define insanely bright but when it's simple to manage with a small twist of your stereo's treble control, that's just not my definition of it.

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

I was referring to the one from a few years ago that everyone was dogging on.

Not a fan, so I don't remember the name, but pretty much everyone said it was unlistenable.

I should have been more specific, I guess.

15. Jon Silberman

Snakes & Arrows or Clockwork Angels? I own both, I could reply more specifically you're referring to one of these. And BTW/FWIW, my feeling is just compare how these albums were recorded to say Moving Pictures or 2112 and you'll get a sinking feeling in your gut. But it's not primarily (at least to me) due to "added high end."

16. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Regarding ear wax and management-

It's gotta be loosened first. Water is ok but not great. Product called Debrox is good. Kit comes w/ rubber syringe. It's essentially hydrogen peroxide which can be used as well. lay on your side with ear to be treated facing up. Apply Debrox drops or HP. Remain in that position for at least 10-15 minutes. Let the stuff break down the wax. Use warm water in syringe to evacuate wax. Repeat if needed. Use this every 2-3 weeks if you tend to have a lot of wax build up.

17. ibis

ibis Member

Yes, should say that using oil based ear drops for a week is a prerequisite for the nurse's removal of your ear wax. Kitchen grade olive oil will do, poured onto a warmed spoon (previously held under hot water tap) and then into the ear. If you're DIYing it, then I'd recommend the same routine. If you're lucky you'll lose the wax overnight one night on to your pillow, saving you the syringing.
    The oil can make you a bit deaf while it's glopping up the ear. Don't put tissue or cotton wool to hold it in. Let it run down your neck. It's not a good look.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

18. Jon Silberman

For many people, H2O2 alone works fine. Cut it 50-50 with lukewarm water and syringe it into one ear at a time while lying on your side. Let it percolate for 5 minutes (and I do mean percolate, you'll hear and feel the fizzing - it tickles!), then turn to the other side and let it drain into a kitchen towel. Turn 180 degrees and do the other ear. It make take a couple of times (make them at day apart to avoid overdrying your skin and inner ear) but you'll clear the wax and (many will) notice the difference. In my experience, if you're going to add oil, do it afterwards, not before - the oil serves as a soothant and helps your body remoisturize the area.

19. bob-i

bob-i Member

One of the dangers of shrugging off high end hearing loss is loss of understanding words. Yes, you can hear lows fine but the vowel tones that make up words get lost.

Example, we have a dog named Reese. When we got her my father in law asked her name, I said Reese, he said Reef, I said Reese, he said Reef. I had to write it down to get him to understand. He swears his hearing is fine because he has to tell his wife to turn the TV down.

Get your hearing tested, and most medical ins will now pay for hearing aides. The hearing aides today are tiny and very hi-tech, they will tweak the aide to replace the frequencies you're missing.

20. Wagster

Wagster Member

Those early ones were great.