• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

High gain 12AX7's

Mr. G.

I'm looking for a high gain(maybe) 12AX7 for V2 in a Peavey Classic 50. Right now I've got a high gain JJ ECC83, but am not to thrilled with it. I've also got a JJ ECC803 in V1 which sounds great on the clean channel, but I think it might be hindering the overdrive channel a bit. Right now the overdrive seems a little buzzy. It doesn't sound bad by any means, but I'm sure it could sound better. I don't have a specific tone I'm going for, just a good classic to hard rock distortion. I use a MXR ZW-44 in front of the overdrive for the heavier stuff (great pedal btw). So, could ya'll give me some suggestion for a new tube?

Blue Strat

Originally posted by PRSplaya
I'm looking for a high gain(maybe) 12AX7 for V2 in a Peavey Classic 50. Right now I've got a high gain JJ ECC83, but am not to thrilled with it. I've also got a JJ ECC803 in V1 which sounds great on the clean channel, but I think it might be hindering the overdrive channel a bit. Right now the overdrive seems a little buzzy. It doesn't sound bad by any means, but I'm sure it could sound better. I don't have a specific tone I'm going for, just a good classic to hard rock distortion. I use a MXR ZW-44 in front of the overdrive for the heavier stuff (great pedal btw). So, could ya'll give me some suggestion for a new tube?
NOS RFT 12AX7.

Boogs

Originally posted by PRSplaya
Right now I've got a high gain JJ ECC83, but am not to thrilled with it.
Is it the newer ECC83S? I love the new high-gain JJs myself, but I never tried the older version.

teefus

the newer eh 12ax7's sound a little gainier to my ear, especially compared to the jj's. the eh has a little more sizzle on the top end too which of course could be good or bad depending on what you are looking for.

Mr.Hanky

Originally posted by goneracin
+1. Best higher gain ecc83 IMO. Also does something sweet in a marshall type circuit :dude
Now where have I heard THAT before?
;)

Haven't tried em yet Bob, I'll let you know when I do.

jrigg

Platinum Supporting Member
If you are looking for a high gain tube that sounds great, I'd also highly recommend an RFT.

glogulus

Silver Supporting Member
I bought an RFT 12ax7 about a year ago, and bought and sold a few amps since. I still have the RFT :).

rjmmusic

Both the RFT and the NOS Chinese are great tubes. If you want smooth sounding high gain, I'd use the RFT. If you want more grind, go with the Chinese.

Mike, I just checked your website. The 7025 Silver Specials are back!?!?!? Cool! Great tubes. These would also be very good, although the early 90's Silver Specials I have aren't quite as gainy as the 90's Chinese grey plate ones I have. Don't know how the new ones stack up.

Blue Strat

Originally posted by rjmmusic
Both the RFT and the NOS Chinese are great tubes. If you want smooth sounding high gain, I'd use the RFT. If you want more grind, go with the Chinese.

Mike, I just checked your website. The 7025 Silver Specials are back!?!?!? Cool! Great tubes. These would also be very good, although the early 90's Silver Specials I have aren't quite as gainy as the 90's Chinese grey plate ones I have. Don't know how the new ones stack up.
All tube types vary somewhat, if you test 20 or so of any particular type of tube you'll see quite a variation in gain.

rjmmusic

See the above post - you can buy them from the guy who wrote the post. :) Mike at KCA NOS tubes.

Gotsta get me some of those!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom