• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

High gain 12AX7's

daddyo

Is swapping one 12AX7 tube for another going to make significant tonal difference in an amp that was designed specically for a more classic, lower gain sound?

Blue Strat

Originally posted by daddyo
Is swapping one 12AX7 tube for another going to make significant tonal difference in an amp that was designed specically for a more classic, lower gain sound?
That depends upon what you consider significant. Amps/music is the world of subjectivity and what's significant to one player is subtle to another.

In general, I'd say no. The design of an amp has infinitely more influence over how "high gain" (read, distorted) an amp is compared to switching from a lower to higher gain 12AX7.

johnny q

Originally posted by goneracin
+1. Best higher gain ecc83 IMO. Also does something sweet in a marshall type circuit :dude
Lots of love here for the NOS RFT, and it is a great tube, but I find that they are too dark to place in more than one position in any of my amps. I have one in V1 of my JCM 800 and its just right, place another in V2 and it gets a bit dark - plenty of gain though!!

JQ

Igneous

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, almost too much gain. If run run two together, they scream like crazy.

hawkeye17

Hah. I just won a barely used RFT for $9 on Ebay. Looking forward to hearing it in my modded Marshall's V1 slot.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom