High Gain Amp Shootout!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by severinsteel, Apr 15, 2016.

1. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Disclaimer! I realize that no matter what method or approach I took to do this shootout, I am going to get people telling me that my approach was incorrect. So, I did this video exactly how I wanted to. It is more of a reference for me to see how my amps sound in the context of a track, and also soloed. I hope you guys can also benefit from it!

Here are the details:

This is a high gain amp shootout. I am choosing one channel per amp. The style is hard rock. The music is a portion of my band Atma Weapon’s song, ‘Clear Blue Skies’. I literally took the two original DI tracks from the album sessions, and re-amped each track though each amp.

Initially, you will hear the amp in the context of the song. That is, double-tracked guitars panned hard left and right. Towards the end of the clip, the drums and 2nd guitar track cut out, leaving a single centered guitar track. I want to show how the amp sounds in context of a recording, and how the amp sounds miked by itself. This will show you guys both ways.

Aside from the high gain amps. I'm also including a few lower gain amps like my Marshall 2203, 2204, and Soldano Aromic 16. ‘But you said this was a ‘high gain’ shootout!?’ Yes, it is! Back in the 80’s people boosted their Marshalls to get a high gain tones! That was the original high gain tone. Plus, I wanted to do a shootout with ALL of my amps, so there. For the low gain amps, I'm adding an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer to boost them. Why a TS9? Because almost everyone knows about the TS-9, and they are easy to get a hold of. And aside from the Boss DS-1, this was the way it was done.

I'm setting every amp to how I like it. You will be able to see exactly how I set up each amp in the video. Just look at the pics of each amp while the demo rolls.

To mike the amp, I'm using a single Shure SM57 on a Celestion Vintage 30 for each track. Industry standard. The cab is a Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12.

Anyway, let me know which amp was your favorite!

Music by: Atma Weapon
    www.atmaweaponnc.bandcamp.com

2. ThePK

ThePK Member

Cool shootout! Well done. I'm a bit surprised I liked the Dual Rec here as much as I did. They do tend to work very well with the Mesa V30 4x12s though. (And I typically prefer Marshalls with Greenback style speakers). Would be cool to hear the Dual Rec doubled with one of the Marshalls, which I also liked a lot.

AshMaui and Dave_C like this.
  3. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for doing the shootout....... I love these. :aok

Only criticism I have is that by using the TS-9 (which I like & used sometimes myself), you're narrowing the frequency response of each amp down, and boosting the same mid band of frequencies that the TS-9 focuses on.
    Not that doing this makes any of the amps sound bad (not at all), but it tends to make the amps sound similar and harder to to differentiate in the clips.
    By using a more transparent clean boost (just for the clips) instead of the TS-9, it would have given each amp the ability to show it's own personality more without being colored so much by the mid heavy TS-9.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    dwoverdrive likes this.
  4. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

Cool shoot out. Thanks. I kinda liked the JCM 800 boosted. I felt like I could hear the note definition more. Might just be that I gravitate towards that old school tone just because I'm used to it. Hard to say. Would be great to hear them all "in the room" and see if the opinion changed. Really they all sounded great.

PremiumPlus likes this.
  5. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Awesome shoot out. Cool tune too, very catchy.
    I really liked all the amps, EXCEPT the 5150, which sounded muddy and dull compared to all the others. The Friedman Marshall and Mesa DR were best for the song, I think. Nice and crunchy with great low end chunk. But the purple JMP with the TS9 was a close second.

6. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I liked the Diezel and the Rockerverb.

Gallery likes this.
  7. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

Preferred 5150 and the first Marshall. I would use them together, 5150 for depth, Marshall for definition.

8. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

@severinsteel, thanks for doing this. Very nice. To me, they all were in the same "ballpark" of sound. Which makes sense since you dialed all of them in that way that you like them. Even within that, there were some nuances. The two that I liked best were (1) the Mesa Dual Rec, and (2) the boosted Soldano. To me, both of them had that extra touch that made their sound a little more distinct than the others. The sound was very crisp on them. I liked that.

Nice job.

PS: I do agree with @andyk, that the 5150 sounded a little muddy.

Guitarwiz007, aynirar27 and andyk like this.
  9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Soldano you used isn't the real one. Add a SLO100, otherwise cool stuff.

10. 00JETT

00JETT Member

Oh man 2203 for the win! Just sounded huge!

11. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Nice job! Liked the mesa dual rec best, some nice fullness and air within the compression (if that makes sense).

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  12. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I liked 2203 Boosted, Friedman modded and Dual Rec. The rest were fine...

13. caiokiss

caiokiss Member

Great shoot out!
    The JCM 800 and the Mesa were the best in my opinion.

dsmc80 likes this.
  14. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

My thoughts as well.

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  15. MrWhoever

MrWhoever Member

Well done, not a Rectifier or diezel fan but this clip shows off how well they work in a recording context. The orange sounded a bit behind the others to my ears, I would take the Diezel for the clarity. Biggest looser to my ears: the V30, that sound kinda bugged me in the end.

16. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Nice playing and great sounds. I like the two Marshalls best. Pedals and all. Those are the freqs I'm looking for. Least favorite for me was the Diezel.

17. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

Good job on this. I liked the Orange and the 2203 best.

buddaman71 and lowpaygigs like this.
  18. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Thanks for the praise guys! It was a fun comparison to make.

aynirar27 likes this.
  19. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to give you kudos for great job and thank you for going to all of the effort. Then I'm going to curse you for stirring up the high gain amp gas - Damn You! Same thing I told my amp builder when he put his reference 2203 in front of me as I don't have one of those either.

I really liked the use of a 'loop' so that the playing nuances are the same for each amp. I preferred the Friedman JMP with the Mesa a close second [yep Marshall snobbery going on...] for the space / separation of the notes / phrases. I suspect they add a crisp layer to the mix. The Soldano boosted also sounded great as did the boosted JMP - bit thicker/sweeter.

At band volume this track would be an awesome wall of sound.

Russ

buddaman71 likes this.
  20. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Great point. Really cool shootout though