• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

High gain distortion pedal-who's the best?

peridot1

I like Wampler for this. Many boutiques I haven't played but I sure went thru a lot of mass marketing ones. Happy with the Wampler sound though. Also those AMT SS preamps though way expensive.

aawshred

lots of cool ones on here... i do still think im going with triple wreck. really seems to be the most versatile. with the openhaus and stuff it seems like all im going to get is high gain. open to more ideas though, keep em coming!

Sikor

lots of cool ones on here... i do still think im going with triple wreck. really seems to be the most versatile. with the openhaus and stuff it seems like all im going to get is high gain. open to more ideas though, keep em coming!
What kind of a high-gain sound are You looking for?

I have/had a lot of hi-gainers and some are great for mesa-like tones (Wampler Triple Recstortion / MI Audio Tibe Zone), other for marshall (CrunchBox), other for modern (Dominator, PisdiYAUwot) etc.

Here is my list of high gainers I have:
  • Wampler Triple Recstortion
  • Okko Dominator
  • Emma PisdiYAUwot
  • Tone Freak Severe
  • Suhr Riot

Short note: Severe is not super high-gain like other 5 pedals (I am talking about available gain level).

These 2 are also great, but I already sold it (TZ) or will sell (CB).
Mostly because too much pedals is just too much :hide2
  • MI Audio Crunch Box
  • MI Audio Tube Zone v3

Ultrawaffle

If you're looking in a more moderate price range the metal muff (full version) is a great sounding and very tweak-able high gain pedal. As far as more botique high gain stuff goes, I have zero insight :aok

kolio_k

i really want a nice distortion to have on my pedalboard if i'm playing through a clean amp. i would REALLY like mid control, but its not entirely necessary. here's what i've been considering

suhr riot
wampler triple wreck
plextortion
tone freak severe
ibanez jemini

i would love an openhaus or a dominator or a supercollider or pisdayauwot but they seem super hard to obtain and expensive.

also, the boost on the triple wreck makes it sound like a high gain big muff or fuzz, which is a great thing to have under your belt.
I am using Suhr Riot very often and like it a lot, its really amp-like pedal (IMHO). Just recorded this sound sample, check it if you want. I ve tried to make the recording as natural as possible (just direct from the mixer )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeob7iHB3s8

Actually the pedal has a lot more gain then that, but for this video I am using Fender Stratocaster and single coils are hardly the best choice for high-gain situations :)

SAMO

Hey kolio_k, how would you compare the Riot to the Visa distortion you recently demoed?
Thanks

kolio_k

Hey, the Visa has a bit more gain and it sounds just a bit softer than the Riot. The Riot cleans up better. In my everyday job (at the moment I play pretty much every day) I started to play the Visa instead Riot, because the amp I have to use (its not mine) is fairly aggressive and no so expressive on the clean channel (Mesa triple Rectifier) and found out that the Visa distortion sounds better there (at least for me).

In general, both are great pedals, but I prefer the Riot with darker sounding amps (like my Boogie .50 Caliber for example) and the Visa with more aggressive clean channels (like bright Fender amps, or this particular Rectifier, which I really dont like that much:))

static

try the Barber Dirty Bomb ... it's got a three-way toggle for midrange, can get nasty with the high gain, but also works very well at lower gain settings if you want just a little more grit on your clean tone

aparnell

I have owned the Triple Wreck and now the Super plex and the both were two bass heavy for me. I felt like live they got lost in the mix.
Very well made pedals, but just not working with my gear.

I would like to try the Suhr Riot.

harritone

+1 on the Riot...I had it and liked it...sold it due to switching noise...great pedal...Im thinking about getting another

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I dig my BJFE Model H. It's basically a Hiwatt sounding pedal that quickly moves into high gain territory. It's the most amplike pedal I've ever had.

Last edited:

Mikey2201

I use Humphrey Audio modded Boss metal zone and I have the first verison of the hardwire metal pedal. I love them both.

xdisciplex

one thing that gets lost with alot of high gain pedals is the feel, i dont like loose muddy lows, i play alot of fast riffs and i like a tight low end and that is a big issue for me. i hardly see anybody post how the lows are when talking about the high gain pedals, lots of gain doesnt make it a good pedal, if the lowend is loose its not gonna be all that great for fast riffs.

Trending Topics