high gain har pedal advice

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slopeshoulder, Apr 22, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

dang, I did such a good job of getting those open sounding page, clapton, and vox tones, that now I don't have any of that 80's shred, saturated, sustain, harmonics, oomphy, modded jcm 800 thing going on, and now I want it back!

Suggestions? Plurple Plexi edward tone sounds great on LP site, but all other online demos sound different than that. Tube zone?
    Please, not a crunchbox. Sounds like a toy to me. BOR isn't the ticket either. What would make Geroge Lynch or one of those other dudes smile?
    Thanks!

2. shahry

shahry Member

Interested in this topic as well.

Would a BJF Dyna Red get the hot-rodded JCM tones? Anyone?

3. cube

cube Member

George is using the Cusack Screamer right now in his rig

4. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

It's been my experience that stacking OD pedals like separate gain stages will yield the best high gain hair metal tones. Any pedal that delivers that sound on it's own has that "toyish" feel/sound that you mentioned about the Crunchbox. I get really FAT sustaining high gain sounds by stacking my Dual Drive/Mojo Drive/Blue Collar in various combos. But I've found these sounds to be available with any number of drive boxes stacked together. And with a number of guitars.

That's my input. I'm a Collings guy like you, and this stacking method even works with my 290.

5. softclipper

softclipper Member

One of the best hairy tones I like most is a LM308n RAT with the gain on 11 o'clock and filter set on 2 into a 'turbocharged' brown channel of an ADA MP-1 Classic. Crispy crunchy attack and sustain for years. Anyway, it's easy to get a similar sound with a RAT and a little hotrodded amp. I love those tones!!

6. Brad J

Brad J Member

CMATMODS Brownie is just the ticket, goes from the "Brown" sound to modded JCM800 with ease, cleans up nice too.