High gain marshall style users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Feb 2, 2012.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I have a Bogner XTC and a CAA PT100, on both amps I have been digging presence off and excursion tight on xtc and the womp off on the PT100. I also have the feedback set to 10 on PT100 so I am reducing the negative feedback as much as I can.

but I still find both these amps very very bass heavy, I have been finding that a really good balanced tone happens when I have bass off, and then have the mids and treble cranked.

Even with these settings I still have a nice and full bass.

My question if any one else find these Marshall style amps so bass heavy? I love the sound I am getting from both amps so I am not complaining.

Even on my 65 amps royal albert I have the bass pretty much off

2. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

While I'm not a high-gain Marshall guy (unless you consider JMPs high gain), there's an obvious piece of the puzzle missing from your post: speakers. If you're cranking treble on an XTC, I'm guessing you're driving something like a quad of broken-in Celestion V30s. Have you ever tried '70s G12-65s, or a current equivalent? They've got more upper midrange and are looser on the bass than the V30 or G12-75s.

3. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Agree, You should try V30's mixed with GT 30's

4. Lance

Lance Member

Try mismatching the impedence load. If it's a 16 ohm cab, plug it into the 8 ohm jack. Or, if it's an 8 ohm cab, try running it at 4 ohms. It should quite down the amp a little too, so it's not so loud. Which is good, as it makes the output transformer & tubes a bigger part of the overall equation.

5. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I used a PT100 through a Scumback 69 spec 4x12 with M75's, for the first time in a bar gig last Sat....I had bass at 2 and whomp on 1 click. You should have heard us playing Soundgarden's Fell on Black Days. That was some thumping bass. The bass player said I was pumping more bass than his rig. We were on an elevated wooden stage..and everyone in the band felt me.

I think next time I get to open the amp up like that, whomp will be off. I gather whomp is going to be more valuable to me when practicing and lower volumes.

I think I better find a manual for the PT100.

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I ran my PWE with the bass very low .... I think all the amps mentioned are modern takes on a Marshall .... and to take them back to the tones of the day, the bass has to be rolled back.

7. pima1234

pima1234 Member

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I currently have a PT100 and have owned 2 101B XTCs...

The XTC 101B is a dark, compressed sounding amp. Period. It's dark. Pretty much all Bogner amps (to varying degrees) have this similar dark/compressed voicing. The 101B is Marshall-esque at best. I always ran the presence at 3:00 on the 101B... and still wished it had more cut and a brighter voicing overall.

The PT100, IMHO, is far more open sounding and brighter from the get go. I also usually keep the Whomp switch off, and run both the treble and mids right around 6, with the bass at 4. Presence and feedback are both set to 7. I run my PT100 thru a Greenback loaded 4X12. I get plenty of tight, articulate high-end cut and bite. Very Marshally. Much more so than the 101B. Also the PT100 circuit has far more in-common with a Marshall than does the 101B.

So... I agree with you on the 101B... but not on the PT100.

9. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

What speakers are you using? I generally run everything at noon.

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

To the OP, what type of music do you play? In general, for 70s/80s rock, not so much bass is required. But 90s and beyond, much more bass is required.

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I had the same experience with the bass.. PT100 OD100 and a few others, I just wanted less bass than what I was hearing. Ended up buying a couple Marshall amps (yes, old school tunes)to go along with the more modern sounding amps. Now I'm happy. Played through Scumback m75, H75 ,and celestion v30 loaded 4x12 cabs.

12. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

I had a Friedman (hbe and be) modded JCM 800. I too found that its bass heavy. I usually had the bass all the way down mids all the way up and treble and presence around 1-3 o'clock. I was using it with a 70's 4x12 bottom with blackbacks, jj el34 and a mixture of rft and JJ in the pre.
    Ive actually sold it because it was too bassy/dark sounding.

Maybe you could try some 9th gen 12ax7. I heard those tend to be a bit on the bright side.

13. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I am using a bogner 4x12 with v30's with the Ecstasy and a 4x12 avatar cab vintage style with wgs et-65's

14. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Bogner Amps on the whole are quite bottom-heavy.

15. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I just wish that the PT100 had less of the 80hz and below pumping through. Even with womp off and bass at 2 there is so much oomph, and the boosting presence starts to make things sound too heavy metal.

My ideal tone is Steve Vai's tone back in Alcatrazz, dont care for his bass heavy legacy tone

16. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    [​IMG]

I have a Friedman KS JMP and like the Fat switch on for a real thick tone.
    I read the in the early days Warren DeMartini set the bass knob on his Marshalls at 0.00, not sure how he runs his Soldanos?

If i had my amps cranked up half way i'd prolly back off the bass a bit. :munch

17. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

V30s with most any high gain amp sound dark... especially a XTC. Try some 25W Greenbacks/Scumbacks... you'll notice a huge difference. Much brighter and more articulate sounding.

18. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Whats odd is et-65s arent as bright as the v30s. I think I have found the answer. Played around with the PT100 and got decent results.

Gain 6
    Bass 0
    Mids 10
    treb 9
    pres 10
    womp full( adds back some low mids and fullness without the oomph and boom)
    Feedback 5
    volume 5

19. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

:agree

Adding bass seems to be a common aspect to many marshall-esque inspired designs.

It also seems to be common for alot of Marshall mods as well.

When I had my Marshall modded it sounded good but the bass response was increased as part of the mod and I had to keep it set around 0-1.

I called the modder and asked him if he could reduce the bass response and that I liked everything else about the mods except for that. So I shipped it back and am waiting for it's return with less bass. :bonk

20. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I wonder what made people/amp builders want to add so much bass? What goal did they have in mind?