high gain OD -- Landgraff Mo'D vs Toneczar Openhaus -- any advice?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobby D, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

OK, gearheads.....

I am a fan of John's work. Please, let there be no Landgraff bashing here, I have already heard ALL the smart retorts and comments about Landgraff.

I am seeking the tonal nirvana of a high gain OD/Dist mox, and have narrowed my two choices down to the MO'D and the Openhaus.

I kind of like the fact that the Openhaus has 3 band EQ, and is not another clone of an existing pedal.

But I like the sound of the MO'D, and know that the Landy's have a certain little something to them that always makes me smile.

Any opinions out there in TGP land???

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I cannot speak for the Openhaus (I do own Ed's Powerglide and it IS the ****!!) - I can only comment on the Mo'D. It IS a RAT based pedal - and it is BY FAR my favorite OD/Distortion box (outside a fuzz). With the 3-way clipping and tone knob I can get everything from a slight dirty boost - through overdrive tones - up to some SERIOUSLY thick distortion tones. It is probably the most versatile (IMHO/Experience) OD/Distortion pedal I've come across.

3. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

I do not have an M'OD, so I might not be the most useful. I do, however, own a modded RAT and an Openhaus.

If the M'OD is in the same realm as the RAT, which I beleive it is, I can be fairly sure that the M'OD and the Openhaus are not very similar at all.

My RAT is a great pedal. I really like it. I love the smooth high gain sounds I get from it - pretty much why I use one.

The Openhaus is just amazing - it is in a whole other league to my RAT. I get high gain sounds like no other pedal. Is it as good as a high gain amp? No, but it is so effing close it blows my mind. I get fantastic modern sounds out of it - both super high gain and lower gain. I have tried it with a range of guitars and a range of amps and it sounded very good at worst and unbelievable at best.

The RAT sounds boxy and small in comparison to the Openhaus's massive sounds BUT I think there could be room for either depending on what you need.

I do think the Openhaus sounds best with a none master volume amp set good and clean.

Sorry. I wasn't actually much help was I?

4. utterhack

utterhack Member

5. leumasjames

leumasjames Member

I used to have a Mo'D a while back and just sold my Openhaus last week so I might be able to give a little advice.

The Openhaus was definitely much different than the Mo'd. I think it can get more gain and it is more tweakable to dial in to the specific amp you use. It does the Mesa sound very well.

The Mo'D on the other hand is not as versatile, but I really did like every sound that came out of it. It is the best RAT type pedal I have played. I ended getting rid of the Mo'd when I got my Openhaus, and I just sold my Openhaus because I couldn't get the expression pedal to smoothly go from low gain to high (even when changing the switch on the EB expression pedal). In a perfect world, I would get both. They are two completely different sounds. If I had to pick between the two, I think I would go with the Mo'd. That's just me. You might like the Openhaus better. If you can, try both. BTW, The Mo'd was a little quieter IIRC.

I currently have a B:ASSMASTER, Blister Agent, and G-2 for distortion. I wish I could keep em all, but I can't justify having 5 distortion pedals, 5 OD pedals, and 5 fuzz pedals. I've been thinning the herd lately to try to get down to 3 of each...

6. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Cool! Thanks guys, all of your input has been useful.

I am possibly going to have the openhaus soon, and it intrigues me. I am impressed by the original circuit design of it, and it looks VERY tweakable.

I never had the MO'D, but I had three LDOs, and they are very special indeed. Even though they are 808 clones with some tweaks. And I know the MO'd is a RAT with some tweaks.

decisions, decisions.

I like a nice high gain sound from time to time. And at the stage volumes that I try to keep down, it's hard to open my Soldano up enough to get that raging sound.