High gain pedal: AMT P2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rab1s, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Rab1s

Rab1s Member

Hey guys looking for a higher gain distortion pedal for my rig. The DS1 I'm modding its working out like I want. It seems like its kind of Blowing out sounds like a dying fuzz. Ah well I got it for 20 bucks. I might do some work on it but In the meantime I'm looking for something that's heavy. I like the 5150/6505 sound. Thick, heavy, crunchy. I like the metal tone and am learning some August Burns Red stuff, but play mostly just rock music.

Has anyone used the AMT Electronics P2? Id use it as a stomp box. I love my amps clean, and it can do low crunch well, but I want a distortion and this seems pretty good. The problem is everyone I've watched online are usualy running it through the power amp or into a DI. What does this sound like in front of a clean amp like mine? Anyone have any experience with these?

Or should I just go with the P-Drive?

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

Can't comment on the AMT, but if you're after thick, heavy, crunchy, check out the Weehbo Bastard.

3. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

I had an AMT R2, it was good going into a clean amp, but better as a preamp. If you like the 5150 sound, I'd check out amptweaker.

4. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I have it as well as a few other AMT preamps pedals. It will sound and feel about as good as any 5150 style distortion in front of a clean amp. As a preamp into the power section, it is phenomenal. I use it for gigs this way, and I have a 5150 to compare it to. Here is a comparison vid I made using the 5150 and then the P2 into both the 5150 and a Vox Night Train power section:

5. Rab1s

Rab1s Member

I would like to run it into my loop, but I love the clean tone of my amp as is.

6. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Ah, you can have both, but you need a bypass looper. I use the clean channel from my amp and also switch between several external preamp pedals. This was a major revelation to me and I didn't know why it wasn't obvious before. At the risk of over posting video, this will explain exactly what I do:

After I made that video and mulled it over for a while, I revamp my entire rig around that kind of system. Best decision I ever made. I've never been more pleased with channels I have available to me now (I added one more AMT preamp after this video, the C2, and no longer use the BB overdrive):

7. Defendant

Defendant Member

Man that's really impressive!

8. Rab1s

Rab1s Member

What if I just wanted something more simple; to just change between the classic 50s preamp and the p2 pedal? Also, if I did the simpler way, how would that affect the pedals I already have in my loop?

9. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Thanks!

The simplest would be getting an 2-loop footswitch that just switches between the 2 preamps with one click:
    http://www.americanloopers.com/coll...ucts/a-b-box-loop-selector-switcher-two-loops

All your effects in your fx loop currently would just come after your switching device. It's the same as you have it now ... your classic 50 preamp feeds your fx in the fx loop and they feed the power return. All this does is swap out the the classic 50's preamp with the AMT preamp, but the rest of the signal path stays the same.

10. Swmorgan77

Swmorgan77 Member

IMO it's worth giving the P2's built-in clean channel (preamp out with footswitch disengaged) a try. It's pretty impressive and is based on a Fender Twin, and it would make the switching thing a lot easier because now everything's going to your power amp.

11. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Agreed. It doesn't have much in terms of flexibility, but it is really good none-the-less. I use it in a pinch and don't get any complaints.

12. minty901

minty901 Member

"excuse me sir, may i speak to your manager? id like to make a complaint about your gig -- i found your mids to be slightly too scooped, robbing your tone of a haunting quality"

13. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

My apologies ma'am. I can get some digital sheen for you if you'd like instead.

14. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Nice. I just bought the C2. How are you finding it? Are you using it as a mid point between the O2 and the P2?

15. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Yes, using it pretty much exactly like that. It can go pretty high gain, but it is a warmer sound than the P2.

16. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Nice. That's exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to try it out.

17. minty901

minty901 Member

What are your thoughts on the O2? Can it do well for heavy, sludgy rockerverb tones? I use the F1 for clean, V1 for slight overdrive and boost the V1 for distortion... but thinking of adding the O2 in the mix somewhere.

18. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

It is a bassier preamp, i roll the bass off quite a bit and boost the mid. I have the gain around noon and it is good for early 70's Page kind of tone with a little more hair (ie: The Ocean or Black Dog). I use it for things like Arctic Monkeys, Clash, alt rock/grunge rock kind of stuff, even early U2, without going too heavy (right around that point where palm mutes are still going to get buried in the background). I can use my boost in front of it from there and get into that territory where palm mutes have presence. It is pretty beastly with the gain up past noon and the bass up at noon. I don't know about sludgy, as I have nothing to really compare to and I'm not usually after that tone, but it creates a big wall of sound and is much looser than the C2 and a much, much looser sound than the P2.

Actually, in the other video go to 3:23 and hear how I had them dialed in between the V1, O2 & P2. This was before I added the F1 and C2 and I ran the O2 at higher gain (earlier in the video you can see the settings, the gain is a bit past noon and the bass is cut way back and the mids are boosted pretty high), It is still a pretty beefy sound even with the bass cut like that:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  19. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Awesome pedal buy! I've never had the chance to play an AMT. but I have played Amptweaker and Wampler models, that are amazing.

20. PartyJudas

PartyJudas Member

I picked up a used P2 for cheap yesterday. I only had a few minutes to try it out, but I was blown away by this thing! I had it plugged in to my PA through the cab simulator output and it sounded just great. Tons of gain on tap, and the clean channel was surprisingly warm and sparkly. Whenever I play With my metal-band I will be bringing this pedal and plugging it directly into the sound system.