High Gain Pedal for Leads

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rangerbob86, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Rangerbob86

Rangerbob86 Member

Hey. I'm new here but heard it was a great community so I'm looking for some help!

I've got a DS-1 for rhythm and that works pretty good, but I'm looking for a higher gain pedal for lead. I don't want fuzz really, and my Digitech Death Metal is way too digital sounding and is a little much. So far I've been recommended the Crunchbox, OCD, Blackstar, Rat, Turbo Rat, Bloody Mary, Doubleshot, Shredmaster, Mayo, Tube Zone, Mosferatu, Lovepedal Eternity, Marshall Jackhammer, Marshall Guv'nor, Box of Rock, and Barber Direct Drive. Obviously I am a little confused as to if I want one of these or even something else entirely...my local guitar center doesn't stock any of these either so I don't really know where I could go to play one. I like to play a lot of Guns N' Roses, EVH, and Kiss stuff, but also sometimes it gets heavier like Metalica and some Ozzy too. Any thoughts would be great!

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

EVH, GNR, Kiss = Marshall. Metallica = Mesa Boogie. So I would look for pedals that say they do the brown sound for the Marshall tone, and imo the AMT California Sound pedal does a great job of the high gain Boogie Rectifier sound. It is the high gain pedal on my board.

3. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Tonebone Hot british or plexitube. I had the hot brit before I got a high gain amp and it really did a great job of getting those tones. That said all the bands you listed are using High gain amp distortion. Nothing like the real thing. But the tonebone is close.

http://www.tonebone.com/index.htm

A lot of the really cool pedals you just can't go down to the corner and try out...so you do the research then buy them here or online and sell the ones you don't like. Repeat untill it sounds good. I went through three different univibes till I found the one, but every one is lookin for cool pedals so it is easy to trade or sell them till you get your tone.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I've found that putting a Tube Screamer in front of the DS-1 as a clean boost works well for lead.

I also use the Marshall Jackhammer the same way with the TS-9 in front. Sounds very different than the DS-1, much more raw and chunky.

5. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have seen that lately MI Audio Tube Zones are offered for around 140$ in Emporium.
    This pedal will give You a lot different flavours from clean boost through marshall to mesa high gain - it is veeery tweakable.
    If I would have to take only 1 pedal with me it would be TZ :AOK

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

try gooseing your DS1 with a compressor or something to raise the input volume a bit, I did this for years - meaning my rhythm sound was simply a lower gain version of my lead sound. This way you should get a lot more gain (not volume) and don't need to spend a fortune on a new pedal.

7. Sid

Sid Member

to me a DS-1 has plenty of gain, if you want more you are looking for saturation rather than a pedal with more gain...stacking is your answer;)

8. froglord

froglord Member

If you want just one pedal to do both classic Marshall and metal, I'd say you're going to need something with a mid control so you can scoop the mids when required. This narrows your options considerably.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

CB, OCD, Blackstar, Guvnor, BOR (lo gain) are all better at rhythm IMO.

Mayo = Fuzz

For leads your best picks in that list are the Direct Drive (because it is smoooth), Tube Zone, and a Rat. I've had/have them all.

DD w/mod board or an older DDSS would be (and is) my choice.