High Gain pedal with Strong Low Mids

TDSTIAYW

Hi,

I'm looking for a new high gain pedal for metal.

Currently, I use an Empress Heavy pedal.

I like it but am looking for heavy gain with a strong emphasis on the lower midrange.

Most metal pedals have too much high mid emphasis for my taste. I often play through clean amps, including solid state rigs.

Any suggestions?

By high gain I mean gain in the current style of Slayer or Machine Head.

Thanks.

71strat

Voodoo Bass 2

You better have some good speakers if you crank the Lows/Low Mids on this baby.

Has Dual Band Processing allowing Drive/EQ for both High/Low Bands, and then you can Mix them together. You can also use each individually.

Also has 2 x Buffered outs x 1 True Bypass. And will drive 2 amplifiers, with no tone loss with the 2 Buffered Outs x Dual Drive No Loss Splitter.

Dual Band Processing is also superior to Stacking Pedals. IMHO.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
What is wrong with the Empress? You own one of the best already. Sounds like maybe an EQ pedal instead?

iamthearm

You may laugh but bearfoot sparkling yellow od (i prefer the 3) has a low mid knob and plenty of gain on tap, especially if your amp already has some breakup. Could be the ticket.

TDSTIAYW

Voodoo Bass 2

You better have some good speakers if you crank the Lows/Low Mids on this baby.

Has Dual Band Processing allowing Drive/EQ for both High/Low Bands, and then you can Mix them together. You can also use each individually.

Also has 2 x Buffered outs x 1 True Bypass. And will drive 2 amplifiers, with no tone loss with the 2 Buffered Outs x Dual Drive No Loss Splitter.

Dual Band Processing is also superior to Stacking Pedals. IMHO.
Interesting option. Thanks.

TDSTIAYW

What is wrong with the Empress? You own one of the best already. Sounds like maybe an EQ pedal instead?

I found that the Heavy has an oddly soft pick attack when the gain is turned up too high. This could be due to my power supply.

Also, it gets noisy with an EQ in front of it. Again maybe due to dirty power.

TDSTIAYW

You may laugh but bearfoot sparkling yellow od (i prefer the 3) has a low mid knob and plenty of gain on tap, especially if your amp already has some breakup. Could be the ticket.

Another interesting option. I had not considered this pedal. Cheers.

DaveKS

I did not like this pedal when I tried it. Maybe I need to try it again with different speakers. Thanks.

One of its best uses is stacking it after your current Empress, using its clean blend to let main drives sound through and then use its extensive eq, drive options and blend to add to the Empress drive.

I also would suggest revisiting the eq option. A properly dialed in eq after the Empress should do exactly what you want.

What eq did you try and where did you place it, before or after Empress? You shouldn't really get any excess noise unless you where using a noisy eq and running it pre-Empress.

Soft pick attack? Lower gain on Empress a bit so compression backs off a bit, then use a eq after it highlight a certain desired freq range and push it forward.

Mario C.

Sinvertek No. 5 has lows and low mids aplenty, great for clean open back amps like twins which I get a lot from backline rentals. Nice lead tone, low noise, decent price, small footprint, I like it.

Last edited:
Current production, try an Okko Dominator. Cheaper but hard to find, railhead tua. Another option is a graphic or parametric eq (in the effects loop so you aren't slamming the preamp and making mud).

MI Megalith. It has very powerful EQ controls.

Better than the Empress in my opinion. When I had the Empress I found it to be very Metal Zone-esque with a cocked wah sound.

Bentayuk

You have a great pedal already, the only other options I'd suggest for metal are the MI Audio Megalith Delta or an Amptweaker Tight / Fat Metal pro.

Outside of those, the other replies have it right, and an EQ pedal might be the best option.

Also, what amp and what speakers you use will make the biggest impact.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom