High Gain Pedals: Crunch Box or Blackstar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FenderGuy53, Oct 2, 2008.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

I received my Barber Direct Drive today (and my Carbon Copy should arrive next week).

Now, I'm looking for a higher gain pedal that will seamlessly complement the DD.

Which do you think would work better: MI Audio Crunch Box or Subdecay Blackstar? Are there any other viable options?

Thanks!

2. Pott

Pott Member

I'd say the Crunchbox.

The Blackstar was great, but it has a fuzzy edge. Think Plug in Baby by Muse. It found it didn't do modern high gain as well as I thought because of this. The clips sound a little more modern than I found it.

It's a great pedal though, cleans up well and heaps of fun!

3. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I have both of these pedals on my board. Ive actually considered selling the Black Star but couldnt do it,, now I wont sell it. Its a very unique sounding pedal and very different than the CB. The CB sounds very Marshally to me where I cant really put my finger on the sound of the BS.
    Think OD and fuzz in the same box,, I think thats why people say it has a fuzzy edge to its sound. Eveytime I play the BS for some reason Black Sabbath comes to mind. Anyways if your looking for a straight forward OD or distorsion then I would look into the CB, but if your looking for something different then I would go with the BS. I dont think either of these pedals are voiced right for modern metal,, maybe the CB with a good EQ after it.

4. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Yep. I A-B'd both extensively and kept the CB. The BS sounded more like a high gain fuzz than distortion unit to my years.

YMMV.

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Its really a question of whether you want a high gain Marshall in a box, or a high gain distortion with a fuzzy edge.

6. TX6Strings

TX6Strings Member

You also might want to take a look at T-Rex Bloody Mary. There are a few clips on youtube that sound pretty damn good.

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

my favorite for this vibe is still the cmatmods brownie with fr8_trane mods. same price range as the CB, and i think it has a much better EQ going on.

8. KTT

KTT Member

I found the total opposite,the blackstar is my fav gain pedal,it has more gain than the crunchbox and a more natural sounding overdrive IMO i sold the crunch box and kept the blackstar

9. oldmanmetal

oldmanmetal Senior Member

Landgraff Mo'D. Period, other stuff is cheap build, or "yawn" over rated. Will rp your head off, or purr like a kitten. It can be set up for Single coils or Humbuckers. John will set it up right.

10. rcl

rcl Member

CB seems like a one trick pony to me, but then mine is a little messed up. The other blackstar company-try the HT-Dual. It gives you two options, one lower gain and the other high gain. Nice pedal.

11. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

both are great. i think the CB works really well with black face style amps.

12. b_rad

b_rad Member

Tone is very subjective, but I would put Brian Marshall's build quality up against any that I've ever seen. Nothing against Mr. Landgraff, but the idea that higher cost means higher quality is a myth.

13. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The Blackstar sounds nothing like a Marshall ,nasty fizzy and thin on high gain . It is good for classic rock crunch but don't gain it up.

14. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Man clearly you've never tried an Mi Audio or Subdecay pedal.

In regards to tone it really is Marshall in a box vs metally scooped distortion easy to justify having both :dude

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

a modded rat is actually what stays on my board, despite how much i love the brownie with fr8_trane mods.

16. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

The CB will provide you with another level of gain, for sure.

But the problem is that those two pedals :)CB and DD) are voiced kinda differently. Yes, they're both marshall-esque, but next to each other, I dunno...

Check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XYi4sEVrD4

Next to each other, the DD sounds alot more "pedal" like...

17. KTT

KTT Member

If you crank the gain way up on the subdecay blackstar then yes it sounds like fuzz..but only if you crank it way up...keep it at 12 o clock and its way more responsive and amp like than the crunch box IMO...and cleans up really nice

18. pistolsteve

pistolsteve Member

Sorry to hijack, but does the Freakshow Brown Rabbit fit into this category? That's the high-gain pedal I had my eye on, before I started looking into the CrunchBox. My understanding is the Rabbit is based on the ProCo Rat -- and looks very cool!

19. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

+1!! I had a Barber DDSS and a v1 CB on my board and they do sound very different. While the CB is NOT a scooped sounding pedal, it did sound scooped next to the DDSS. I prefer the tone of the DDSS and if I need more grind I stack it with my Tone Press (set for a slightly compressed boost). Still have my CB and love it though. Regarding the Blackstar, a friend of mine has one of the final prototypes and it sounds much different (and better IMO) than the production pedals. I was going to buy a Blackstar based on the prototype but I really didn't care for the new tone of the final version.

Cheers,

CJ

20. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Have you ever played a Blackstone MOSFET OD? Your description of the Black Star sounds a lot like my Blackstone, maybe with a little lower gain.