High Gain Pedals w/ a Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bfdeluxeab763, Aug 12, 2019.

1. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

What high gain pedals (Modded Plexi, JCM800 or higher gain levels) work well with a deluxe reverb style amp on the normal or vibrato channels primarily for low volume use. if it's on the vibrato channel it has to play well with a bright cap. if it's on the normal channel, it needs to be on the brighter side since the normal channel of a deluxe is somewhat darker at lower volumes.

2. Bogner

Bogner Member

This should be enough to get you happy and in good trouble

Revv G3
    Revv G4
    Friedman BE-OD Deluxe
    Rock Fabrik Mind Abuse
    Empress Metal
    KSR Ceres
    Horizon Devices Apex
    Bogner Überschall
    Suhr Eclipse
    Suhr Riot Reloaded
    Airis Effects Savage Drive

Ryno1331 likes this.
  3. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

interesting. i've seen some demos of the friedman be-od through a deluxe on the vibrato channel that didn't sound fizzy, but i wanted to get more feedback before trying one out.

4. Bogner

Bogner Member

If I got a BE pedal I would get the BE Deluxe pedal. Out of the pedals I listed, the Friedman wouldn't be my first choice personally but I could easily live with all the pedals I mentioned and be happy with the results. YMMV

5. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

i've heard the Revv G4 works well too. i haven't been able to find any demos with a fender style amp though.

(the sweetwater demo is through a twin)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Menatone None More Black

I would clip your bright cap regardless.

ToneIsKing55 and mickeymayhem like this.
  7. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I picked up a JHS AT+ over the weekend and I'm really happy with it through my Li'l Dawg Super.

It's interesting because I was down visiting a friend who has a Rivera Knucklehead running through an attenuator and I A/B'd the AT+ against a few similar pedals and all sounded good, could easily have been happy with any. But when I got home to my Super, not running through an attenuator, there was a much more noticeable difference. The driven amp run through the attenuation made everything sounds a little better and smoother (not surprisingly) but through my very clean, low volume Fender circuit I really liked the AT+, especially on the 50w setting. I actually set it up for medium drive without the boost and then the boost takes it into a higher gain.

I've been searching for just the right medium to high gain tone for a while now and tried some very nice pedals but none of them did exactly what I was looking for until the AT+.

bfdeluxeab763 likes this.
  8. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

i have a switch on it, but with it off it's considerably darker which is why i mentioned that if it didn't work with the bright cap it'd need to be a brighter pedal. some of the higher gain pedals tend to be voiced a little darker.

Flatscan likes this.
  9. Bogner

Bogner Member

The AT+ is a great pedal but is nothing remotely close to high gain IMO. I guess we first need to define what the OP calls high gain. Based on his initial post, I would say boost pedals and many overdrive pedals are not what he is looking for. It sounds like he is seeking more of a distortion pedal to get a Fender amp into high gain territory.

10. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

11. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

i would say that by “high gain” i personally am referring to anything higher than a 60s/70s marshall. so if it picked up after there on the low end of the gain knob & went up to mesa/diezel territory that’d be perfect. i’m mostly into more vintage gain tones/levels, but every once and a while it’d be nice to have a pedal that’ll do metallica, pantera, etc. when i feel like it.

12. sleewell

sleewell Member

I use either a khdk dark blood or Friedman be od w my fender.

13. gtr777

gtr777 Member

I've used a Crunch Box with great results and the MXR 5150 sound great with pretty much every amp I tried it with.

14. Thoughtpolice

Thoughtpolice Member

The bright cap is only an issue up to a certain volume.

15. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

16. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

17. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

But he wants to play at a volume such that the bright cap will affect his dirt boxes...

bfdeluxeab763 likes this.
  18. js15

js15 Member

It may be hard to find outside of Japan, but I recently picked up a Leqtique 10/10 (black pedal on the left side of the bottom row below), which I run into the vibrato channel with bright cap. It goes from smooth high gain lead sounds to super high gain brutal metal. I was considering a Diezel pedal but wanted something smaller and more pedalboard-friendly. I also use an Amptweaker Big Rock Pro and Bondi Sick As HS edition for more JCM800 type distortion. All three work great into the vibrato channel at low or high volumes.

[​IMG]

david(j) likes this.
  19. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

20. White Limo

White Limo Member

Amptweaker Tight Rock Jr or Big Rock will do it well. Both do high gain, Big Rock Pro allows you to turn down the mids a bit if you want a more "metal" ish sound. It has a bunch of voicing options for bright/dark amps. It was essentially made for what you're asking. If you want a dedicated "metal" pedal they also have the Tight Metal. All sound great.