• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

High Gain Pedals w/ a Deluxe Reverb

bfdeluxeab763

This should be enough to get you happy and in good trouble

Revv G3
Revv G4
Friedman BE-OD Deluxe
Rock Fabrik Mind Abuse
Empress Metal
KSR Ceres
Horizon Devices Apex
Bogner Überschall
Suhr Eclipse
Suhr Riot Reloaded
Airis Effects Savage Drive
any suggestions for which channel these would work better on? I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard that the xts atomic overdrive works well w/ bright caps. I think on it's own it's rather dark, so the bright cap adds some sizzle back in without it doing the blizzard of nails thing as greg koch would say. I'm wondering if any of those pedals you mentioned have something similar going on.

Bogner

any suggestions for which channel these would work better on? I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard that the xts atomic overdrive works well w/ bright caps. I think on it's own it's rather dark, so the bright cap adds some sizzle back in without it doing the blizzard of nails thing as greg koch would say. I'm wondering if any of those pedals you mentioned have something similar going on.
It is impossible for me to answer that because the amp, pedals in question, your guitar & pickups, etc all effect things and the pedals can be dialed many ways. They can be bright, they can be dark and in between. Everything works together in the chain. All the pedals I listed will give you good sounds. I never refer people to junk that doesn't work. After that it comes down to voicing preference and personal taste. I would listen to demo's of the pedals and see if you hear something appealing that you like within the pedal itself and narrow it down from there. If the pedal doesn't work for you the amp you use with it won't change that and if it does it won't be by much.

JK1965

I will sometimes run a Naga Viper (treble booster) into a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe which has a Tube Screamer circuit for an extra boost. This goes into the normal channel. With a cheap ABY box I run the other line to the Vibrato channel. Now its a channel switcher with various gain stages.

bfdeluxeab763

I picked up a JHS AT+ over the weekend and I'm really happy with it through my Li'l Dawg Super.

It's interesting because I was down visiting a friend who has a Rivera Knucklehead running through an attenuator and I A/B'd the AT+ against a few similar pedals and all sounded good, could easily have been happy with any. But when I got home to my Super, not running through an attenuator, there was a much more noticeable difference. The driven amp run through the attenuation made everything sounds a little better and smoother (not surprisingly) but through my very clean, low volume Fender circuit I really liked the AT+, especially on the 50w setting. I actually set it up for medium drive without the boost and then the boost takes it into a higher gain.

I've been searching for just the right medium to high gain tone for a while now and tried some very nice pedals but none of them did exactly what I was looking for until the AT+.
i think as far as modded plexi & jcm type gain goes this, the friedman dirty Shirley pedal & the xts atomic overdrive may all be winners. i found this demo as well where he's playing into a deluxe reverb reissue on the bright channel & they all sound fine.

bfdeluxeab763

It is impossible for me to answer that because the amp, pedals in question, your guitar & pickups, etc all effect things and the pedals can be dialed many ways. They can be bright, they can be dark and in between. Everything works together in the chain. All the pedals I listed will give you good sounds. I never refer people to junk that doesn't work. After that it comes down to voicing preference and personal taste. I would listen to demo's of the pedals and see if you hear something appealing that you like within the pedal itself and narrow it down from there. If the pedal doesn't work for you the amp you use with it won't change that and if it does it won't be by much.
ok, thanks for the suggestions. i'll have to give some of them a try. the revv stuff sounds good.

MojoHand

Silver Supporting Member
All of them.
Adding an EQ pedal to your chain will go a long way towards making any high gain pedal workable with your amp. Also, if you were to swap in something like a Vintage 30 speaker, you might be surprised at how much it changes the way the amp works with high gain pedals.

Currently using an Amptweaker Tight Metal Jr and Keeley modded DS-1 with my DR, into an external 1x12 with Scumback speaker. Sounds pretty good to my ears.

Bogner

ok, thanks for the suggestions. i'll have to give some of them a try. the revv stuff sounds good.
You are very welcome. I would think the Revv G3 would be something that you really like sonically. The Revv pedals dial back very nicely as well. Something that has a lot of sweep that hasn't been mentioned that could work well for you is a Boss Metal Zone Waza pedal. I usually cringe anytime the words Metal Zone are spoken but the Waza pedal is a nice pedal and nothing like the original Metal Zone. That pedal dialed back could give you a voice that I think you would like based on what you have said thus far. I am not sure what you want to spend for a pedal but I know you have some great options. Go through and listen to a few and let me know what you liked about them sonically and what you disliked about them and I can further focus in and point you in the right direction so you can narrow it down and land on something that will work for you and make you happy to play through.

Sonnyducks

I have recently re-discovered the Boss Blues Driver and man it can do distortion/fuzz. I just bought a 68 Princeton and was trying out my old dirt pedals with it to see what works and what don’t. Well I don’t think I’ve ever run the drive on the Blues Driver past 12:00. I dimed the drive and wow! Past 3:00 something in the pedal kicks in and it becomes something very different.

Ape2000

Silver Supporting Member
You are very welcome. I would think the Revv G3 would be something that you really like sonically. The Revv pedals dial back very nicely as well. Something that has a lot of sweep that hasn't been mentioned that could work well for you is a Boss Metal Zone Waza pedal. I usually cringe anytime the words Metal Zone are spoken but the Waza pedal is a nice pedal and nothing like the original Metal Zone. That pedal dialed back could give you a voice that I think you would like based on what you have said thus far. I am not sure what you want to spend for a pedal but I know you have some great options. Go through and listen to a few and let me know what you liked about them sonically and what you disliked about them and I can further focus in and point you in the right direction so you can narrow it down and land on something that will work for you and make you happy to play through.
Don't wanna bogard this thread, but I've seen you post on a lot of threads regarding dirtboxes. I was wondering if I could PM you and pick your brain a bit.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Snipping the bright cap is a must-do on a DRRI, in my opinion - with or without dirt pedals

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t have a DRRI, but I use a Twin and a Princeton. I’ve never really been happy with stand alone high gain pedals, so I’ve always stacked to get there instead. Seeing how Tubescreamers are pretty much essential with these amps and almost anyone that uses a Fender has one, I’ll start there.

TS into Rat - This is my main heavy drive sound. You get the thick heavy high gain goodness, but still have plenty of string clarity and articulation. Probably my favorite all time stacking combo.

TS into Muff - Less articulation and string definition, but a much bigger wall of gain sound. Can do the chugga chugga thing if that’s what your after. Great lead tone!

Treble Boost into TS - love this sound as well! A ton more punch and thickness! You don’t lose the drives characteristics either, just more gain and tends to tighten things up a bit too.

That’s just a start, but its what works for me personally with my Fender amps.

valvestate

It may be hard to find outside of Japan, but I recently picked up a Leqtique 10/10 (black pedal on the left side of the bottom row below), which I run into the vibrato channel with bright cap. It goes from smooth high gain lead sounds to super high gain brutal metal. I was considering a Diezel pedal but wanted something smaller and more pedalboard-friendly. I also use an Amptweaker Big Rock Pro and Bondi Sick As HS edition for more JCM800 type distortion. All three work great into the vibrato channel at low or high volumes.

Wow nice, clean setup!

I wonder if the Big Rock Pro can also do lower gain sounds? Been wanting that for a while now.

js15

Wow nice, clean setup!

I wonder if the Big Rock Pro can also do lower gain sounds? Been wanting that for a while now.
Thanks! The Big Rock Pro can do lower gain, but I would say its strong suit is higher gain JCM800 type sounds. I usually use the Sick As or Benson for lower gain stuff. The best part of the BRP for me is the side chain feature, which I use to switch from the BRP to a fuzz or other drive pedals with one click.

Widowmaker

In my experience pairing the DRRI with high gain pedals can be a bit frustrating, particularly when using the vibrato channel. However a couple of simple mods can make the amp sound a lot better and be far more pedal and especially high gain friendly. Besides the mentioned bright cap clipping, I consider the "fritz mod" a must on this amp. It brings the reverb also to the normal channel, which I still find better voiced for distortion pedals, and puts both channels in phase, allowing them to be bridged for a fatter tone. I also changed the stock valves and replaced them with RCA, Mullard and Brimar NOS valves, and noticed another huge improvment in tone.

As far as pedals, the KING TONE DUELLIST is absolutely killer sounding with this amp and covers a lot of ground. From low gain breakup tones, tube screamer, mid gain overdrive and up to higher gain marshall tones, when both channels are combined.

For high gain and fat lead tones the BOGNER BURNLEY, JHS SWEET TEA (v.3) and especially the ROCKBOX BROWN SUGAR are great. The later is very inexpensive and I find it probably the best sounding distortion pedal to use with single coil guitars through the DRRI.

For ultra high gain/modern metal, even though I own and have tried many many pedals, I admit that I am still struggling to find one that I am completely satisfied with. Still if I had to name one it would be another unusual choice.
I seem to keep going back to the BLACKSTAR HT-BLACKFIRE for this type of sound, and it also has the benefit of two channels. It is now a rare find, but worth it over the regular Metal version, mainly because it is substancially quieter. But it is still a pain to integrate on a board because of the weird power requirements.

I also dig the REVV G3 (never tried the G4), but there is something about it's voicing that I haven't been able to dial in quite right with this amp, but it's probably just my fault...

KSR CERES is a greeeat pedal, but unfortunately I could never make it work well with the DRRI. It excels as a preamp running direct through a cab sim or through the return of an amp (in my case the Mesa Mark V:25 head).

The FRIEDMAN BE-OD to me sounds a bit small, overly compressed and there is a permanent scooped feeling and fizzyness that I find difficult to dial out.

EMPRESS HEAVY is also a difficult one to dial in, maybe because it has so many options. But to me it sounds a bit sterile and harsh through the DRRI, great with other amps though...

The search goes on (forever)... :)

fendervato

Skreddy Pedals has introduced a new overdrive - Twangophile - and is taking preorders. Check it out, it may be what you’re looking for.

ballynally

As some have implied, use a mid boost pedal as a leveller before a high gain pedal, otherwise you enhance the blackface sound with a bag of fizz.

RoMan83

I have a Marshall JVM 410 100 watt with 4x12 that covers essentially the entire history of Marshall (Plexi, JCM800, etc.) Plug in my Les Paul or EVH Wolgang and it slays. It handles my SRV Strat nicely as well.

Now I wanted a separate amp for cleans, and recently purchased the Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb. Selling points were the lack of a bright cap, two vintage inputs (regular, and -6db) for the classic DR silverface tone, and two "custom" inputs that cover the Bassman tone stack (used by many of the greats) which features a thicker tone and takes pedals a little better.

The Ibanez 808 TubeScreamer reissue was an easy call and provides everything from a boost to smooth overdrive. Now for heavier distorted tones, I struggled. I tried a EHX Metal Muff, not bad for heavy rhythms but a little fizzy for leads. Then I got the beloved Friedman BE-OD, I wasn't a huge fan of the original but this is a big step up (and adds a Mid knob and a second channel. Channel One is basically a TubeScreamer, Channel Two is essentially the original BE. The leads still just did not do it for me, and if you already have an overdrive the first channel is pretty useless. It got returned.

Then I ordered the recently reissued Electro-Harmonix Ram's Head Big Muff Pi Distortion / Sustainer Pedal. Its a perfect recreation of the classic 1973 original pedal. This thing is killer! With a Strat, it nails David Gilmour's dirty tones/leads such as "Comfotably Numb","Money,"Time" etc., roll back the gain on it and throw on the Phase90 and you got "Have a Cigar".

Besides Pink Floyd heaven, It sounds great recreating the tones of other classic fuzz users, including Hendrix (roll back the gain to conjure up "Voodoo Child" etc.), Eric Johnson, and many more. Grunge/hard rock are handled well, particularly Nirvana. John Frusciante still regularly uses a Big Muff on his pedalboard.

Big Muff Ram's Head, it'll be the best 99$ your ever spend. Warm violin sustain, to sharp cutting leads/riffing, Running the Tube Screamer before it can put it over the edge as well. The Fuzz it produces is incredibly unique and needs to be heard. I have a 3500$ Flagship Marshall next to it, and it holds its own. I tried probably 10 different pedals to come to this conclusion, you won't be disappointed.

Trending Topics