High gain tube heads that sound good at bedroom and gig volumes?

JackedEagle

Someone selling a Bogner Shiva 80 watt head told me they sound great at low and high volumes. Is that true?

chance0

Pretty much every high gain tube head with a decent master volume sounds great to me at any level. I've never experienced issues like the vast majority of players here do. I don't have to turn up most heads past TV volumes to get a nice saturation with fullness and character. I've owned a lot of amps, too.

When I record, the difference between a raging amp and a quiet one is not as stark as one would expect, either, and both tones are usually as acceptable in the studio as they are live.

With an attenuator, the same deal. So I don't use attenuators much.

Digidog

I could never get my SS60 to bedroom levels :). Also, is it really considered a high gain amp? Maybe based on Fender standards?

Well, the SS60 IS powerful, but I can tweak out good home-practice sounds combining amp and guitar volume. Concerning the definition of high gain, it's far more gained than any other Fender amp I've played, and from my experience it holds up gain-wise with equally poweful Marshalls f.ex.

Maggot

Silver Supporting Member
I've never known a high gain amp that sounds bad at gig volumes. Bedroom volumes are a universe unto themselves. It's sometimes better to get a small cheapo.

White Limo

I've never known a high gain amp that sounds bad at gig volumes. Bedroom volumes are a universe unto themselves. It's sometimes better to get a small cheapo.

This. Don't compromise. Get a great high gain amp you like for the stage and play a bedroom amp in the bedroom. The middle ground is what everyone is looking for and failing. Good bedroom amps are cheap.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom