High humidity and fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jmarlwin, May 10, 2015.

1. jmarlwin

jmarlwin Member

Hi. I live in South America. Humidity here is usually 70-90%. 2 years after acquiring my first Gibson les paul, i decided to give it a general cleaning. After so many researches, i learned that conditioning fretboard is more of a rule than an exception. The rationale is to prevent cracking from dehydration of the wood. But most of you guys live in a place where humidity is quite low. Would you still advise conditioning the fretboard despite the high humidity in my area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Depends upon the wood type. Maple (bare maple, of course) doesn't need anything; I would also never oil rosewood unless I was absolutely certain that it was dangerously dry.

Ebony, IMO, is the only commonly used fingerboard wood that benefits from occasional oiling, and then only in certain environments. Yours is almost certainly not one of those environments.

3. jmarlwin

jmarlwin Member

I have rosewood fret board. Im sorry i missed that. So I guess I'll just clean up the fret board? No need for occasional oiling?;)

4. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That's my opinion. Only in extremes would I oil rosewood; too much and you can soften the fret slots.

5. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

The only time I ever oil a fretboard is right after sanding it, and then it's oiled VERY sparingly. Newly sanded wood looks and feels goofy, and the oil helps make it feel normal again. Personally, I discourage people from oiling anything.

6. jmarlwin

jmarlwin Member

Guys thank you very much for the inputs ;)